What's new

A few lines about ZULU (apologies to Mr Harris!) (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I always felt the UK version of Zulu was one of the best transfers of all my 200+ blurays. That said, it'll be interesting to see how TT does with their MGM release. The US DVD release is a joke, so there is lots of room for improvement.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Twilight Time said:
In response to some readers interest in, and questions about, TT's upcoming release of ZULU, I just wanted to offer some small details about it -- we don't know much about the overall specs at this point, but the following is what we do know.

It is certainly not the UK transfer. It couldn't be as that one belongs to a different studio -- Paramount, who own the film in most of the world's territories. In the USA home video rights is controlled by MGM/UA through Studio Canal. Our transfer generated by MGM/UA (or Studio Canal) some years ago (it is possibly older than the UK transfer) still has evidence of some minor wear and tear -- little flecks of dirt and debris here and there -- what Mr Harris has taught me is known as "minus density." There is not enough of it to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the film, but what it does of course mean is that there has been little in the way of digital clean-up, and that things like DNR are apparently not in evidence.

As we know, whether a transfer is "good" or "bad" is often in the eye of the beholder, and to my somewhat biased bifocals, the transfer here has a very natural look to it. Color and detail is strong, picture is generally stable (with a moment or two of lateral jitter), but to me this is the movie I have always known and loved. To borrow a quote from our pal Haineshisway "it is the way I remember it in cinemas." And I have this seen this movie theatrically projected more than 40 times.

Audio is mono, but we also have a 2.0 "stereo" track that we are planning to use as well to give viewers the choice. My preference is always for the clean mono. The thing to remember about ZULU is that the marvelous score by John Barry was recorded in mono, so any stereo field the film might have is confined to the slightly directionalized dialogue, and the effects.

Extras will be necessarily sparse -- we do have the John Barry score in crisp, clear mono as an isolated track, and we have a new commentary featuring the witty, acerbic, and insightful screenwriter Lem Dobbs, and myself, babbling like idiots about why the film is important.

This is a case where I don't care one whit about whether we sell 50 copies, 20 copies, 10 copies or no copies. This a film that we love almost (The Wild Bunch excepted) above all other, and when MGM/UA offered it to us we were over the moon. We're releasing it on Jan 22nd, the 50th anniversary of the film's premiere in London, and the 135th anniversary of the battle at Rorke's Drift. And we couldn't be more proud.

We invite any of you who cares to join us in the celebration.

All best,

Nick.
I'm very pleased that we're getting a stereo track in addition to the mono. I've been wanting to hear the directionalized dialogue and effects for a long time. So pleased to see Zulu, Khartoum, and The Blue Max coming, Mr. Redman. I appreciate your efforts.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Thanks for all the nice comments, greatly appreciated. To Richard W -- as we are big Cy Endfield fans and love HELL DRIVERS we actually tracked the entity down in the UK that has the picture for license purposes in the foreign territories, and we thought we had it -- until it was determined that no HD masters exist -- so we tabled it for future discussion. Hopefully, it'll come our way one day.

N.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
To DP 70 -- we're also pretty thrilled about KHARTOUM -- this is a clean, sharp, pristine transfer taken from the 65mm and presented at 2.76:1. It is I believe in 2.0 stereo (MGM/UA has not done much in the way of 5.1 upgrades), but the big "get" for us on this one is, thanks to contacts in the UK who represent the Frank Cordell estate, the complete score has been shipped to us for use in the isolated score track -- this a find as the music had not survived in the MGM/UA vaults. It's important because other than a fairly short re-recorded LP, the original score for KHARTOUM has never been released, and certainly not in anything like complete form. It is a wonderful, under-appreciated epic 60s work, and will enable aficionados to enjoy it as it was intended for the film.

To Todd -- yes, we do plan on doing a few more 50s 3D films especially if response to MAN IN THE DARK is positive. 1950s films in general we have discovered make for tough sledding sales-wise, but hopefully the novelty aspect of 3D will make a little bit of a difference!

N.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Always nice to see The Wild Bunch get props. Will be buying Zulu, The Blue Max, and Khartoum, all of which I first saw in theatres, and have rewatched many times. Along these lines, i wish someone would put The Warlord on BD, i have a pretty good dvd of it released in Spain, but it really desrves BD status. One of Charlton Heston's best roles.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm very anxious to see Man in the Dark - much of which was filmed in Santa Monica at the old Ocean Park Pier, where I spent a good deal of my early childhood.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
I understand you two don't like each other, but I would appreciate it if you don't use this forum to fling your arrows back and forth.
Just to be clear here - I do hope you're addressing Foxy and not presenting your post in my direction, because there have been no posts in this thread from me to Foxy, just one from him in my direction. Let's just be clear there, yes? Because your post made it seem like we'd been having a volley when no such volley on my part has taken place. So, you could reword your post a little because whether I like this person or not is irrelevant since I posted nothing about him. Yes? Thank you in advance.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thanks for all the nice comments, greatly appreciated. To Richard W -- as we are big Cy Endfield fans and love HELL DRIVERS we actually tracked the entity down in the UK that has the picture for license purposes in the foreign territories, and we thought we had it -- until it was determined that no HD masters exist -- so we tabled it for future discussion. Hopefully, it'll come our way one day.
I assume that entity was Network? I'm hoping this is a sign that more UK classics might find their way into the TT label. There should be plenty to choose from between the Sony and MGM libraries.
Twilight Time said:
To Todd -- yes, we do plan on doing a few more 50s 3D films especially if response to MAN IN THE DARK is positive. 1950s films in general we have discovered make for tough sledding sales-wise, but hopefully the novelty aspect of 3D will make a little bit of a difference!
Also maybe look into a few more noir type movies? Those seem to have done pretty well in the past.

I'm also definitely getting Man In the Dark even though I don't have a 3-D television. Can't go wrong with Edmond O'Brien! Hopefully you get to release more 3-D films, particularly of the Sony library

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Just to be clear here - I do hope you're addressing Foxy and not presenting your post in my direction, because there have been no posts in this thread from me to Foxy, just one from him in my direction. Let's just be clear there, yes? Because your post made it seem like we'd been having a volley when no such volley on my part has taken place. So, you could reword your post a little because whether I like this person or not is irrelevant since I posted nothing about him. Yes? Thank you in advance.
One could have gotten the impression that you came to the defense of the other Blu-ray of Zulu so maybe Robert thought that you had started something there (me too) but obviously it was not directed specifically at Foxy. I think it is good at this point to leave things at that as the new transfer of TT may shed new light on some of the claims made including that regarding "pancake" makeup that I don't agree with at all.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Twilight Time said:
To DP 70 -- we're also pretty thrilled about KHARTOUM -- this is a clean, sharp, pristine transfer taken from the 65mm and presented at 2.76:1. It is I believe in 2.0 stereo (MGM/UA has not done much in the way of 5.1 upgrades), but the big "get" for us on this one is, thanks to contacts in the UK who represent the Frank Cordell estate, the complete score has been shipped to us for use in the isolated score track -- this a find as the music had not survived in the MGM/UA vaults. It's important because other than a fairly short re-recorded LP, the original score for KHARTOUM has never been released, and certainly not in anything like complete form. It is a wonderful, under-appreciated epic 60s work, and will enable aficionados to enjoy it as it was intended for the film.
I have now seen this one twice in a new 70mm print which looks really good so I can certainly attest to it being underappreciated. I do agree that the soundtrack is magnificent.Obviously work on Khartoum was performed with a rather tight budget in mind and while I would have preferred MGM to spend more on it at least they went back to the original elements and produced a decent 2k (or was it HD?) master and a new 70mm print and from what I have seen on MGM HD you could possibly have your best looking release right there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
Let's be clear here, my comments were directed at Foxy, but my words were meant to prevent any further comment from you in response to those attacking comments in this particular thread. That type of scenario has played out in various threads beforehand as there is a perception that there is definitely a lack of affinity between the two of you. We don't need a repeat here. Thank you for not issuing a volley towards him.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
Let's be clear here, my comments were directed at Foxy, but my words were meant to prevent any further comment from you in response to those attacking comments in this particular thread. That type of scenario has played out in various threads beforehand as there is a perception that there is definitely a lack of affinity between the two of you. We don't need a repeat here. Thank you for not issuing a volley towards him.
You're very welcome. Nothing in my initial post was directed at anyone - it's simply my opinion about the previous Blu-ray release. I'm anxious to see this other transfer from standard elements, believe me. And I'm very aware that some think the UK Blu looks great and some think it's a horror show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
You're very welcome. Nothing in my initial post was directed at anyone - it's simply my opinion about the previous Blu-ray release. I'm anxious to see this other transfer from standard elements, believe me. And I'm very aware that some think the UK Blu looks great and some think it's a horror show.
That is correct!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back to the topic on hand, I have the UK BD of Zulu and thought it looked fine to my eyes. However, there was a passionate disagreement regarding the video PQ as more than a few on either side had contrary views of this BD. Hopefully, TT's release will improve upon the video so that an approving consensus is form for this upcoming release.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robert Crawford said:
Back to the topic on hand, I have the UK BD of Zulu and thought it looked fine to my eyes. However, there was a passionate disagreement regarding the video PQ as more than a few on either side had contrary views of this BD. Hopefully, TT's release will improve upon the video so that an approving consensus is form for this upcoming release.
DNR issue aside, I think TT has their work cut out for them matching the other aspects of the UK transfer. Those broad daylight shots are some of the most astounding I've seen in HD. It will be interesting to see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Powell&Pressburger said:
Can't wait to hear the commentary that will also feature Lem Dobbs. His commentary featured on Double Indemnity is one of my favorites.
Another reason why I'll be buying this TT release. I simply love this film ever since watching it in a movie theater back during the summer of 1964.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
That would be great. For me January 2014 is the most anticipated month so far for TT releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
That would be great. For me January 2014 is the most anticipated month so far for TT releases.
And Mr. Redman did comment on the elements being used for this release. :) I'm sure there will be more as we get closer to the release date.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Twilight Time said:

N.
Jolly good news.

A very welcome and greatly appreciated release.

As a matter of curiosity, why did you start the 3-D line with Man In the Dark? It is the least well-known of Sony / Columbia's classic stereoscopic films. If sales of your first 3-D release are the determining factor to continue the line, I would have thought you'd have started with one of their most popular titles -- the Randolph Scott westerns, The Mad Magician with Vincent Price, William Castle's crowd-pleasers, the much-admired Miss Sadie Thompson, or Raoul Walsh's brilliant Gun Fury. No risk in releasing those. Not that I'm complaining. I'm confident Man In the Dark will sell okay. But I know the aforementioned titles will sell better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks