What's new

A&E Baseball dvd releases (1 Viewer)

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
If this is the wrong forum, feel free to move. First does anyone else collect/follow the baseball releases that A&E has been releasing over the last few years? I'm referring to the World Series boxsets, Greatest Games series, etc. I mainly wonder if there's a way of finding out what releases are upcoming from them. The only way I know of now is to just search and search Amazon and hope you find a new pre-order.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
I do have some baseball releases in my collection ('79 World Series and various releases about the Boston Red Sox) but haven't seen anyplace where you can get a list of what will be released in the near future. I'm in the same boat as far as that stuff is concerned.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
MLB tends to do no more than two new vintage WS per year based on the trends of the last couple years with 1985 and 2001 two years ago and 1991 and 2002 last year. The new trend with last year's releases is including alternate audio of the winning team's radio broadcasts which wasn't done previously. Keeping in mind that only 1965, 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1976 to the present can be released complete I doubt that MLB would release any WS that didn't run at least six games in terms of excitement, except something extraordinary like the 69 Mets series (the 88 Dodgers is the one exception they have done). If I were going strictly by hunches, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see 2003 for the Florida Marlins since (1) this WS was better played than the more ballyhooed 1997 WS which only had a good seventh game going for it) and (2) releasing 2003 along with perhaps the "Bartman" game as a bonus, would mean that every WS from 2001 on has been released complete. If MLB wanted to spotlight one of the two Toronto Blue Jays championships of the early 90s, then 1993 would offer better interest than 1992 IMO. I still hope to one day see them release 1978 (Yankees-Dodgers).

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Jack P said:
MLB tends to do no more than two new vintage WS per year based on the trends of the last couple years with 1985 and 2001 two years ago and 1991 and 2002 last year. The new trend with last year's releases is including alternate audio of the winning team's radio broadcasts which wasn't done previously. Keeping in mind that only 1965, 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1976 to the present can be released complete I doubt that MLB would release any WS that didn't run at least six games in terms of excitement, except something extraordinary like the 69 Mets series (the 88 Dodgers is the one exception they have done). If I were going strictly by hunches, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see 2003 for the Florida Marlins since (1) this WS was better played than the more ballyhooed 1997 WS which only had a good seventh game going for it) and (2) releasing 2003 along with perhaps the "Bartman" game as a bonus, would mean that every WS from 2001 on has been released complete. If MLB wanted to spotlight one of the two Toronto Blue Jays championships of the early 90s, then 1993 would offer better interest than 1992 IMO. I still hope to one day see them release 1978 (Yankees-Dodgers).
I'm thinking they'll do what they do with the recent(post 2004) World Series sets and pad them with LCS games as well. Like you said, they did this with the 1988 World Series and have done it with other World Series that didn't go the full 7 games such as 1977. 1978 would be easy because you've got the 6 WS games and you could include any game from the ALCS or you could include the one-game playoff against the Red Sox as the 7th disc. I want to collect them all just to have all the surviving World Series on disc but the main ones I want are 1984, 1989, and 1995. I also want an Atlanta Braves boxset of some kind similar to the Essential games boxsets they've released. How sad is it that the so-called "Team of the 90's" not only doesn't have a release of their own, but every release that features the Braves on it features them in a losing effort save for the 1992 NLCS Game 7. I also say "team of the 90's" facetiously because even though I'm a Braves fan, I don't see how they can be called this when the Yankees won 3 World Series in this decade and established baseball's most recent dynasty in this period. And just because I'm nit-picky, all World Series from 1975 to the present, not 1976.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I didn't mention 75 since that has been released though it is indeed complete. 2004 should have been burned and lost to the ages forever! But I do give credit to MLB for releasing Game 7 of the 03 ALCS in the "Greatest Games" series. :D

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have several of these sets and the only way I ever find out about any new releases is by searching on Amazon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I always highlight these sets on my Weekly RoundUps each week in the Bargains and Deals section. I'm a big baseball fan and think these sets are terrific.

I own the "75, '04 and '07 sets. I also have a number of other Red Sox related discs (Impossible Dream/'67, etc.). I've got a few other vintage releases, too.

Which reminds me. I meant to track down that recording of a Vin Scully broadcast of some 1960s Dodgers game that was found in someone's basement a year or so ago...

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with you guys. A big fan of these A&E releases (and other vintage sports broadcasts on DVD). I own all of the current releases from the 75 Reds set through 1988 Dodgers. I'm not really interested in too much of anything they've released post 1980s, but I own the Phillies 2008 set (as a Phils fan) and would buy a 1993 Blue Jays set since it also features the Phillies as the losing side there. So given that, my most eagerly hoped for next release would be the 1980 Phillies WS. But I would also grab any other unreleased 80s sets, especially 82 Cards, 83 Orioles, or 84 Tigers. Sadly, my most desired 1970s sets that have yet to be seen - any of the three A's championships, or the 71 Pirates or 70 Orioles - don't "officially" exist, I guess. I do own two of the Greatest Games releases - the Phillies-Cubs 79 slugfest, and game 6 of the 93 series. I would welcome more of those if they can't release the entire missing series from the 1970s. But yeah, to answer the original poster's question, Amazon seems to be the only decent source for finding out about upcoming releases. I'm hoping we'll see some more of these this year, and hopefully at least one vintage release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Only Game 5 is known to exist in color in the "truck" feed. I've yet to see evidence of another one existing in color. Similarly for 1969, Games 1 and 2 only exist as B/W kinescopes from the CBC while Games 3-5 are in color videotape from the truck feeds (The earliest extant World Series games in original color). 1971 and 73-74 are cases where not every game exists complete. 72 is a situation where only two games exist complete or near complete and the rest is just fragmentary stuff.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Similarly for 1969, Games 1 and 2 only exist as B/W kinescopes from the CBC while Games 3-5 are in color videotape from the truck feeds (The earliest extant World Series games in original color)."

Jack,

Fascinating. I didn't know this. The 1969 World Series is probably my all-time favorite World Series (of those I have seen). Little did I know when watching it back then (live) how rare films copies of it would become many years later.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'm with you guys. A big fan of these A&E releases (and other vintage sports broadcasts on DVD). I own all of the current releases from the 75 Reds set through 1988 Dodgers. I'm not really interested in too much of anything they've released post 1980s, but I own the Phillies 2008 set (as a Phils fan) and would buy a 1993 Blue Jays set since it also features the Phillies as the losing side there. So given that, my most eagerly hoped for next release would be the 1980 Phillies WS. But I would also grab any other unreleased 80s sets, especially 82 Cards, 83 Orioles, or 84 Tigers. Sadly, my most desired 1970s sets that have yet to be seen - any of the three A's championships, or the 71 Pirates or 70 Orioles - don't "officially" exist, I guess. I do own two of the Greatest Games releases - the Phillies-Cubs 79 slugfest, and game 6 of the 93 series. I would welcome more of those if they can't release the entire missing series from the 1970s. But yeah, to answer the original poster's question, Amazon seems to be the only decent source for finding out about upcoming releases. I'm hoping we'll see some more of these this year, and hopefully at least one vintage release.

I’d really like to see the 1973 World Series.
Same with all of the 1969 series. I’ve seen some of the 1969 games pop up online.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I own the "75, '04 and '07 sets.

I have that 1975 release, and also the '84, '85, '86 and '88 ones, plus the St. Louis Cardinals Greatest Games of Busch Stadium one.

001.JPG

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There hasn't been a new vintage release in several years alas (1984 and 2000 were the last ones). Even though I have copies from off-air recordings and/or vault ones that have made the rounds, an "official" release is always a nice backup. Was hoping we'd see 78.

1973 is not available in a releasable format. Only Game 1 is complete. The rest are all missing parts in one form or another (Game 7 cuts off with one out in the Top 9th and Game 2 is missing the last inning and a half).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There hasn't been a new vintage release in several years alas (1984 and 2000 were the last ones). Even though I have copies from off-air recordings and/or vault ones that have made the rounds, an "official" release is always a nice backup. Was hoping we'd see 78.

1973 is not available in a releasable format. Only Game 1 is complete. The rest are all missing parts in one form or another (Game 7 cuts off with one out in the Top 9th and Game 2 is missing the last inning and a half).

Good to know.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
They sure are-- that '85 WS is already showing as unavailable on Amazon.
They're still trying to negotiate how much royalties to pay Don Denkinger since he was the main star of that WS! :angry: Too bad instant replay wasn't a thing then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks