What's new

A Discussion of Plasma vs LCD Displays....which one for you? (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Robert Crawford said:
  You appear to be only one posting constantly about how terrible Plasma is in comparison to LCD.  People will make up their own minds on how to spend their hard-earned dollars and have the vast internet to do as much researching as necessary to make that correct decision for themselves.  
Try AVSForum and you will see numerous, numerous posts on the issue. Also I am not constantly saying how terrible it is. What I am doing, is seeing threads asking LCD or Plasma and commenting on my experiences which are in opposition to the plasma pushers who are constantly putting plasma over LCD, using a blanket statement. I would say the same to you, as to let the viewer decide what he likes. Point out all the positives and negatives of both technologies, not just the positives of Plasma, and the negatives of LCD. Unfortunately there is a very strong bias being pushed here, towards Plasma, so I don't even see how an knowledgeable person can be led to make the choice for them selves.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mike Up

Try AVSForum and you will see numerous, numerous posts on the issue. Also I am not constantly saying how terrible it is. What I am doing, is seeing threads asking LCD or Plasma and commenting on my experiences which are in opposition to the plasma pushers who are constantly putting plasma over LCD, using a blanket statement. I would say the same to you, as to let the viewer decide what he likes. Point out all the positives and negatives of both technologies, not just the positives of Plasma, and the negatives of LCD. Unfortunately there is a very strong bias being pushed here, towards Plasma, so I don't even see how an knowledgeable person can be led to make the choice for them selves.

Like I stated, people will make up their own minds as they research which display they want to buy, so go on with your agenda. Whatever, that may be.

Crawdaddy

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Originally Posted by Mike Up

Exactly, but don't down play one technology without stating the negatives of the other. If plasma was the end all, no one would have LED LCD TV's. Each TV should be based on it's own performance as many LED LCD TV's have higher performance. I hated LCD until I seen the performance of the newer LED LCD TV's with local dimming.
What unfortunately is the ABL issues I'be seen on plasma TVs and that has been an annoyance to many going by the many complaint posts and threads.

I would say there are many factors to deciding what TV to get. When I was doing my research I found that the larger LED TV's 60"-65" seemed washed out or blochy for a lack of a technical term. Where the Plasmas always gave me a consistent picture. I do think it is up to each person to decide. Why I do think Plasma is better then LED in bigger TV's I think it matters a little less in 50" and smaller. The bottom line is I always send someone to an AV store to compare for themselves.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike Up said:
I'm really surprised about how no one brought up the performance issues that plaque plasma tv's. I found my that my LED LCD TV has a much higher performance. The previous plasma was a LG 50PV450 and the LED LCD is a LG 47LW5600.
Well naturally, not all plasmas are created equal. There are good and bad TVs in any categories. For instance, the cheapie Sanyo LCD we bought for my mother a few years back is positively dreadful. When I was shopping for a plasma a few years ago, the helpful folks on the forums let me know that the low-end plasmas might not be that great, and it appears that your LG was at the lower end. Perhaps that’s why you weren’t that impressed with it. There’s only one LCD I’ve ever seen that could hold a candle to my two Pioneer plasmas, a Sony XBR from a few years back. My main beef with LCDs is the motion issue. Not just the jerkiness they’re trying to address with the 240 Hz or whatever. Check out a high-def program where they have a lingering shot on someone’s face. If the actor is dead still, it looks great. But if they move their head even the slightest, all the detail in their faces – skin texture, pores, etc. – blurs out. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks