A couple of surprises from Clerks II - HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by ppltd, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ppltd

ppltd Producer

You might be right. Wonder if someone knows for sure.

2. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I could not disagree more. The movies PQ was right where it should have been, and I was quite happy with it. Not sure what problems you had the the documentary, but I found the quality quite good. Maybe it is a difference in displays we are using.

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

It looks to me like both the KS intros and the documentary were the same SD format as the DVD which were then upconverted and stored on the HD DVD in 1080. That's what methinks, and the picture quality supports that theory. The movie itself looks heads above the DVD, so I'm still content with my purchase.

4. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I got this last week and haven't watched it yet. I hope it works on my A-1.

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I'm almost 100% sure that the documentary material was shot with a Panasonic DV camcorder in 24P mode- i.e., standard-defintion, but 24-frame-per-second Progressive, which might be the reason for some folks thinking it looked like true HD. The same cameras were used to shoot the "Snowball Effect" documentary for the "CLERKS X" DVD.

Vincent

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If the documentary material was on an SDVD disc with some form of copy protection (e.g. MacroVision), then it would not upgrade to higher image resolutions on any video output, except HDMI.
    (BTW, on the HD-A1 a pop-up screen tells you so.)

If it was a HD disc, that restriction would not apply, uless the ICT bit is set (which is highly improbable).

Cees

7. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

That's what it looks like Vincent, video image quality is nearly identical to the "Snowball Effect".

8. Ron>E

Ron>E Extra

I could have sworn Clerks was B/W. I will have to revisit the title, but if thats the way they intended the movie to look all grainy and saturated I would say they hit the target. Personally I think it was a mistake to film it like that.

9. BrettGallman

The original Clerks was black and white. Clerks II isn't though, and that's what Vincent was talking about.

10. ppltd

ppltd Producer

11. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Here are two that say they aren't. Admittedly, one's by me. [​IMG]

DVD Talk
    Home Theater Spot

It's not out of the realm of possibility that two of the reviewers you cited were parrotting High Def Digest's claim.

It's possible that the extras are presented in 1080p on HD DVD, but if it is, it's upscaled/upconverted/whatever from standard definition. It's pretty solid standard def, for the most part, but they wholly lack the detail and clarity of high-definition.

12. ppltd

ppltd Producer

You could be right. It certainly could be upconverted from a 480p source. Wish the studios would list the specs (assuming they are accurate) on the covers. It would go along way to eliminate the confusion.

13. BrettGallman

Well, I watched this last night, and my A1 did stutter a couple of times; nothing major, but kind of distracting. Luckilly, I love this movie so much that it didn't bother me too much. Still, is there any word out there if there's going to be a firmware update to patch up some of the problems with these Weinstein discs?

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I watched this the other night and experienced a couple of glitches on my HD-A2. At one point, it seemed like a long layer change as there was a two second pause.

I hate to say it, but I'm losing confidence in Toshiba's abilities and quality control. I dumped my HD-A1 last year because of the same issues and it still seems like they are still there.

15. BrettGallman

Well, to be fair to Toshiba, plenty of people have been able to play the disc with no problems, so it seems like all these Weinstein issues are a result of disc problems, rather than player problems.

16. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I have read somewhere, and I don't recall where that Weinstein was working with MS to try a determine what is causing the issues (long load times, stuttering, freezes) in their disks. I do not recall ever reading a resolution to the problems. BTW, while I experienced some of these problems on my XA1, but have had no problems on my new XA2 or HD-DVD add-on with the Weinstein disks.

17. dkny75

dkny75 Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure it's a disc problem. I have a HD A1 with 2.0 fw and I've never had a long load time or problems on any of the Weinstein titles. (Knock on wood).