What's new

A complete survey of SR 5200, 6200 and 7200 owners with problems and without. (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What Marantz receiver do you have and what problems do you have?

1) S-video noise

2) Audio noise

3) Audio drop-outs when using digital inputs.

a) playing CD's

b) During DVD layer changes

Also, who owns an SR x200 and DOES NOT have the audio drop-outs at all? Curious if it is at all possible to find a replacement SR 6200 for my dud here, that does not drop-out.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I owned a 7200. Monitor out was non-functional, so no OSD. Took it back and bought a Denon 3802 and am now happy. Everything works!

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
SR-6200. Severe S-video problem was repaired, but slight problems with video remain under some conditions (quick, bright edits upset the vertical hold).

Not sure about hiss - analogue is noticable if I really crank it, but digital is very silent. There is no bleed through to the rears in stereo.

Darell_Land

Auditioning
Have a 5200 and no problems works great.I actually really like this unit dispite all the negitve press and problems about the new line.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
SR7200, at first I thought I had audio dropouts, but it turned out it was not the case. No problem at all.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Keep those replies coming people. I was actually sort of hoping to compile a list and send it to Marantz to point out the problem of potential lost sales to them.

The reason I'm asking about the dropouts is because I'm curious and I have them really bad. I even have them using my laserdisc player as a CD player hooked up with digital cable.

I'm really actually hoping to just replace my 6200 with another 6200 that does not have the dropout problems. I'll even go so far as to trade up to the 7200 if it fixes my problems. The only other receiver I'm interested in is the Onkyo TX-DS 797 and its way more expensive than the 6200. The 7200 is possible though.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
i own the sr-6200 and to answer your questions:

1) no s-video noise

2) no audio noise

3) as for audio dropouts... i have them on both cds and dvds with my tosh 2109 (i don't have a standalone cd player so the dvd player is handling that task). the dropouts are noticeable when skipping tracks/chapters or when a new title loads on a dvd (ie. going from dts intro to thx intro on t2: ue), or when menus have audio when making selections (again, t2: ue is a good example).

i'm not as concerned about the audio dropouts though 'cause i brought my dvd player into the shop where i bought my 6200 to see if it would happen on another 6200 (this was a much easier option than bringing a new 6200 home). we tested it with t2 again and the audio dropouts were there. we tested a brand new tosh 3750 and the dropouts were there in the same places (skipping chapters, etc.). in fact, it took longer for the marantz to pick up the audio on the 3750 than it did on my 2109. we were partially convinced that it was the receiver, but in my persistence that it wasn't we tried a marantz dvd player. nearly no dropouts. there was a slight (quarter to half second) drop when skiping chapters, but aside from that it wasn't noticeable.

what we figured was that the tosh dvd players drop the audio bitstream and the marantz doesn't pick it up fast enough. kinda both are at fault, but i'd reccommend trying different dvd players before putting the fault entirely on the reciever.

David_D_C

Agent
I have an SR52000.

My first receiver had video noise, so I returned it without even watching a single DVD.

My second one has no video noise and the same amount of audio noise on analog inputs as the NAD it replaced. (Very little)

It does suffer from audio drop outs when I pause a DVD. It also shows up when playing with special features. It takes 1/2 a second or even up to a full second for the audio to kick in again. Again, all I've tried is a the coax connection off the back of my Toshiba SD-2700. It makes it through layer changes without a hitch and has never dropped out in the middle of a movie.

I'm going to just wait it out and see what happens. Eventually i'll probably upgrade to something at the upper end of "mid-fi" anyway.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Chris, I have been following your posts and feel your pain. Seems like you really love Marantz and have a hard time exchanging for some other brand. However, since so many people are posting with so many problems, you should move on and buy something else and not regret. Some good units out there are the Denon 3802, Onkyo 898/797, Yamaha 1200/2200, etc. and you will be very happy with any one of these and start enjoying your HT and music.

Rafael Maya

Auditioning
Good day guys,

After 3 SR7200 I have had all the problem except the noise levels some people have mentioned.

My first unit had S-video problems - fix (exchanged unit)

My second unit had the dropouts and I exchanged it for the

present one (third unit) and it also have the dropouts. My dealer (Audioshop) said it was the mute circuit causing this POP or dropouts and after this I realized that there was another problem. After playing music or movies for 20 min @ at high levels (-10db or so) and decreasing the volume to -75db or changing fields from CD to DVD or vise-versa there would be a loud POP coming from all speakers.

I contacted my dealer again and they're looking into. I hope Marantz fixes this issue because it is going to cause them a lot of negative feedbacks not to mention a few upset customers.

I must say that the sound quality of the receiver is what I was loking for, warm, detailed and I really don't want to let it go but I don't want pay $1500 canadian for something that makes loud POP sound effects.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input everybody :)
NickSP,
No worries, I am just weighing my options. I never even thought about looking for another Marantz receiver, swapping for one that works or whatever. Like I said, I'll even upgrade to an SR 7200 if it works for me, but I think it makes no difference. With the quality control issues, I am very hesitant to stay with Marantz anyways. I'm not agonizing over the Marantz. The reason I'm posting like mad about this is because I have spent lots of money on my setup. I hadn't intended to go so hard core into home theater. I got this much into movies because I bought a laserdisc player and tons of movies for a worth while price. So I went into home theater more than I originally intended and this has sapped my budget. Music is my first love. A home theater is just an extention to my sound system. Music comes first. So with that in mind I haven't fixed the problem by now because:
1) I left my receiver at the distributor for 4 weeks and they weren't able to fix it.
2) I want to try and exchange it for something at the dealer I bought the SR 6200 from first before refunding fully and trying other options. I was hoping to check out all the options within Marantz. The SR 8200 will be more expensive than the Onkyo 797.
3) The place I deal with carries Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer Elite, Arcam and Bryston. The Onkyo TX-DS has lots of features and things about it that I really like. The 797 is way more than I wanted to spend though. Even with the fair price that the store could give me on a 797, it'll push my receiver budget to 185% of what I paid for the SR 6200. No Pioneer Elites or NAD T-761's have DPL II yet and I have 235 Laserdiscs, lots of which are plain dolby surround. The 696 is only 5.1, although at this rate, I might still consider it.
4) I am seriously considering the Onkyo TX-DS 797, despite the crazy jump up in cost, but its not in stock there yet. I have heard that the 696 drops out on DVD layer changes and during extra portions of DVD's and so there is a high chance of the 797 having the same problem.
So I'm running out of quick fixes here. There may not be a quick fix. I'm going to try the Marantz receivers at the store and maybe try a replacement 6200 or upgrade to the 7200 if we take it out of box and try it and it doesn not drop out. If that doesn't work, I will have to decide between an Onkyo 797 or waiting for the DPL II Pioneer Elites receivers, whenever that'll be? Are there even plans for a release soon? If not then a full refund and a Denon 2802 or 3802? Actually the 3802 is the same cost as the Onkyo 797, so I would lean toward the 797 if I had to. I don't need the extra amp right now and I like the Onkyo better.

Hi,

Here's the problems that I've got with my SR-5200:

1- S-Video noise was there but Marantz confirmed and fixed the problem. They gave me a new unit and it's OK now.

2- Audio noise. I didn't notice.

3- Audio drop-outs. Everytime ! Connected to a Pioneer DV-333. I have the problem mostly with audio CDs. I may have noticed it once or twice with DVDs.

I just got a call from the shop where I bought it (Audio Centre in Montreal) and Marantz is aware of the problem but they don't know if they are going to fix it. I'll be waiting for their answer.

I also have the problem that ChrisAG is talking about. The sync goes off when there are bright flashes (ex: Sarah McLachlan Mirroball DVD at the beginning of the show).

If Marantz does not fix the audio drop-outs bug, I will change the receiver. For what brand ? I'm not sure yet...

I'll let you know if Marantz fixes it !

To be continued...

Chris M

Second Unit
I have a Marantz SR-5200 and the only problem I've noticed is the S-Video noise.

This receiver takes a while to start the audio after a layer change, but no worse than my old Sony STR-DE825.

Over all, once the S-Vid problem is fixed, I'll be very happy with it!

Thanks,

Chris.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
okay, in the quest for explanations here goes more info:

I first I thought I had the dropout thing. I tested my 7200 with an AIWA CD player, a Sony PS2 and even my Sony diskman, all through optical. I did this cause I was waiting for my DVD player to come. All of them caused random dropouts.

After that my dealer borrowed me a Marantz 67SE CD player, which worked fine, no more dropouts. Then my DV-6200 arrived, and it too sounded perfect. Seems like no Marantz products ever cause dropouts on the X200 series. BTW I noticed that both (67SE and DV6200) keep the LED on from power on, which might shed some light into what's happening.

Rgds.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I tried my Panasonic again and it never dropped out on the NAD receiver unless I had just turned on the Panasonic. I tried a Pioneer DVD changer with the NAD receiver and it dropped out between disc changes because the optical went out between disc changes. Not so with the Panasonic. Yet, the Panasonic still drops out with the marantz SR 6200. The Pioneer changer was even worse with the SR 6200 as far as I could tell.

So its:

Panasonic + NAD = no drop outs unless just turned on

Panasonic + SR 6200 = random drop outs, between tracks, while playing the beginning of tracks, changing discs, pressing the track # etc

Pioneer + NAD = Only drop outs first playing or changing discs

Pioneer + Marantz = Same as Panny & marantz, maybe worse

Looks like I'm looking for a new receiver. I thought digital connections were supposed to be better?

Jeranon

Auditioning
I joined just to respond to this because I'm going through the same pain. I own the lowest model x200, the SR4200 (I'm an entry level person).

1) No S-Video noise that I could tell.

2) Constant noise (hiss) from all channels. Noise from surrounds and center is audible to my ears up to a foot and half away. Noise from fronts are audible up to 6 feet away.

3) Slow pick up of audio signal on starting an audio track, CD or DVD. Random dropouts of a quarter of a second after skipping chapters in DVD. Pops between the end of one CD track and the next. Have not tried a dual layered DVD yet.

I have a Toshiba SD1200 connected via toslink and a Marantz CD4000 connected via coax.

I am going to get a new one in case I got a faulty unit. If the new unit exhibits the same problems, I'm going to stop wasting my time and go for another brand (thinking Onkyo 595).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) S-video noise - none. Only using it for OSD though.

2) Audio noise - none. Music sounds great, even at extreme levels.

3) Audio drop-outs when using digital inputs - definitely have these. Seems to happen when going from analog to digital mostly. I believe the manual said there was a way to "force" digital, but not sure if that would solve the problem.

a) playing CD's - analog player, no problems when going from track to track shuffle, or from disc to disc.

b) During DVD layer changes - no noticable sound dropout on layer switches. (*edit Sony DVP-S560)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I posted above with the S-video problems (repaired, but some interference was still visible in dark scenes). Over the past few weeks I have been in regular contact with the dealer, and we agreed that I would exchange the 6200 whenever they got new stock, which was Friday.

The serial number of the new unit is much higher - MZ02014100xxxx (note the '020' which led me to believe that this was a revised design).

S-video is slightly improved. During normal viewing the picture is supurb, but the vertical sync problem remains on material with quick bright flashy edits.

However, I have now noticed dropouts where there were none before. When I insert a fresh CD into my Toshiba SD1600 DVD player (using the coax digital input), the first split second of the first track is cut off. If I stop the disc and restart from the beginning, the track plays as normal. If I skip tracks it plays as normal.

There are dropouts when navigating DVD menus but the old unit did that also.

Another problem - sometimes when I change sources there is a loud POP from all speakers (even when in stereo mode).

I am NOT happy.

The dealer told me that the drop-out occurs when there is a 2 seconds or more pause between audio tracks or at the beginning of the CD. The CD/DVD player stops sending a signal between tracks and the Marantz goes into idle mode. The sample buffer should be at least bigger or the Marantz should not go idle.

Like I said in another post, Marantz acknowledges the problem but they did not say if they plan to fix it. My dealer gave me up to mid-january the time to upgrade to a Yamaha rx-v1200 (600$ CDN more than a SR5200). If Marantz does a recall before that, I'd be happy to make an exchange.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

The pausing and stopping the sending of a signal between tracks is a weird issue. I tried another 5 disc DVD player and the toslink cable actually went out between disc changes. My Panasonic 51 did not, and yet the Marantz still drops outs. With the NAD receiver, my Panny does not drop out. With the other 5 disc DVD changer, the dropouts occur during disc changes when the signal stops.

Well my dealer said they'll take back my SR 6200 and I can go for something else. Looking for 6.1 and DPL II for the same price as the 6200, or as much as the 7200 is next to impossible when I have to choose from NAD, Onkyo/Integra, Pioneer Elite, Arcam and Bryston. I would almost go for the NAD T-761 if it had DPL II, but as it stands, it is only 5.1 and no DPL II. The 696 is DPL II, but amazingly, for its price, it has no 6.1. The 797 has what I want and more, but its way expensive compared to the 6200. The other option for me would have been the Denon 2802 for $1300 CAD but the store doesn't carry it and its not particularly what I was looking for anyways. It beats the 696 with 6.1 at least. I may stomach the 797, as it seems to have a lot going for it, but its gonna be a leap. If it sounds nearly as good as the Marantz, then that would help convince me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks