What's new

"A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE" 1951 Alastair Sim on DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
wow, this just sucks. I thought that the Morningstar was at least a LITTLE better. Such a classic film that I and many others have never seen in it's true glory. The cinematography is SO brilliant with the heavy expressionistic lighting. Would be wondrous to see better. Imagine a full blown HD restoration?

(drools...)

:)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Had any of the companies done a little more research in the collector's market, they would have found that there are several, practically mint 35mm prints from the films original release. Perhaps sometime in the future...

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I asked the following question to Barry Sandrew in the Shirley Temple thread. He is from Legend Films, who restores and colourizes old B&W films:

I just think whatever gets this film a proper restoration is such a blessing. I sort of grew up on the colourized version, so it will be great to see what the new technology will do for it. Barry, will this be released from VCI Entertainment? Many fans love this film, and really want a full resotoration, so please do us proud! Thanks Barry!

Andy

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Well that is the best news heard so far. It's certainly encouraging to hear someone in the industry support the Restoration of this film, and if possible in HD no less!

Anyword if BBC/Warner may revisit the failed release from last Novemeber in the meantime? The holiday season is approaching quickly.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I e-mailed VCI Entertainment about the status of the upcoming release. Here's what they had to say:

I hope they release a pristine transfer...I know fans have been waiting forever for one!

Andy

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Thanks for the head's up!! I hope they finally do right by this movie once and for all. I think we've had enough sub-par releases to last us a lifetime. I'm anxious to see the end result!

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Yes, thanks. I'll definitely be picking this up. I hope whoever gets it first remembers to come here and tell us how it looks. Fall. Just in time for it to really cash in if the picture looks good.

RobertGr

Second Unit
I am a huge fan of SCROOGE, my source tells me it will look fantastic as well as the other George Minter production of TOM BROWN'S SCHOOL DAYS which features many of the stars and used a lot of the same production members and is another gem from the greatest era in Great Britain's film production.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Of course if you go back in this thread VCI said of the existing DVD that they had located the original 1951 negative and used it to make that DVD.
Is this just hype or are they really redoing the transfer for the 2007 Christmas season.

RobertGr

Second Unit
That comment on the existing dvd comes from when the Special Edition Roan Group Laserdisc had it printed on the back cover of the disc jacket. Although I am not a technifile on bit rates, 1080 HD etc. My info is the film to tape transfer is being done HD 1080 and will look stunning. About 2 years ago the BBC had completed a restoration on the film and that was going to be released here Stateside by Warner/BBC video. Let's be fair to the BBC they did not realize the rights were owned here in the States by VCI. The film had been totally restored and the disc sold in England even contained a commentary by George Cole whom played young Scrooge in the film. Mr. Cole was in his mid 80's when he recorded the commentary.

Just before the release was about to happen VCI whom owns the rights here in the States got wind of the pending release from the BBC here in the States and stopped the release. Hopefully the print used for the BBC restoration is the one being used here by VCI.

RobertGr

Second Unit
My wires were crossed on the DD disc being available, here is the press release though that went out to media outlets and it even appeared in VARIETY the entertainment industry Bible nearly 2 years ago. The new transfer is being generated from the BBC work which VCI has had access to for resaons we collectors are not privy to!

"From Davis DVD:

Perennial Christmas favorite Scrooge, starring Alastair Sim, is being released by BBC Video on September 27th. Adapted from Charles Dickens' beloved "A Christmas Carol," the 1951 film has been restored and remastered to its original black-and-white glory. This definitive deluxe special edition features an exciting array of bonus features, including the rare 1914 and 1922 silent film versions "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooge," as well as two complete radio plays from Christmas Day 1950 and 1965. Retail is $19.98."

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link to the review

From the review:

Funny thing this ‘Scroogery’; I’ve read so much around the ‘net the last couple of years - one IMDB commentator says: ‘a truly excellent quality print of this 1951 film apparently does not exist due to irresponsible storage & treatment of the original negative’, others state authoritatively that there are several mint 35mm prints owned by collectors, even that American rights holders VCI last, frankly disappointing, release was ‘fully restored and re-mastered from the original 35mm negative discovered in England’ (hasn’t stopped VCI saying that they’re going to have another go and dropping hints that they’ll get it right next time.)

So the transfer is, happily, better than expected, what of the extras? Do they really make this a true ‘Collectors Edition’? Most certainly. Let me get the least wanted extra out of the way; the ’colourised’ version, which dates from the days of VHS. Introduced in sickly fashion by Patrick McNee (’I love Christmas…’), who plays young Marley in the film, it’s another of those genuine paint by numbers atrocities. I’ve seen proponents of this practice excuse themselves by claiming that ‘they wanted to film it in colour anyway’ (honest, guv!). Apparently, in the US, Legend Films, are preparing to crayon in Scrooge again. Groan…

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Coming October A Christmas Carol (Ultimate Collector's Edition);

Audio Commentary by Marcus Hearn & George Cole, "Spirit of Christmas Past" - George Cole remembers Alastair Sim, "Richard Gordon Remembers George Minter & Renown Pictures", "Charles Dickens - His Life & Times", Bonus Colorized Version, Original American Theatrical Trailer, Original British Theatrical Trailer, Before & After Restoration Comparison, Optional English & Spanish Subtitles, Optional Narrative for the Blind, Photo & Press Book Gallery, Cast Bios, "Scrooge" (1935 Seymour Hicks Version) Specs: 2-DVD9s; Dolby Digital 5.1; 86 minutes; B&W / Color; Aspect Ratio: B&W Restored Version - 1.33:1; Optional 16x9 Enhanced for Widescreen Monitors; Colorized Version - 1.33:1; MPAA - NR; Year - 1951; SRP - $19.99.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm not exactly sure I know what they mean by that. Maybe its not cropped...but something along the lines of being "anamorphically enhanced" rather than letterboxed. I guess I'm just scraping because I'm trying to be a "glass half-full" kind of guy.

Anyway...as long as there is a 1.33:1 B&W restored version...maybe if the other versions are NOT restored...people will be drawn to the version with the "better picture!"

Anyway...WOO HOO! Trailers, the '35 versions, commentary, featurette on Sims, and restoration features... :emoji_thumbsup: And all for a $19.99 MSRP!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks