What's new

"A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE" 1951 Alastair Sim on DVD (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just asking again...Any idea if this is coming to the US in a region 1 disc??

Thanks!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
No, as Scrooge is owned by different companies in Region 1 (VCI) and Region 2 (DD Home Entertainment), so they will each put out their own editions. I will most likely invest in the Region 2 Special Edition. Are the bonus materials worth it? What does George Cole touch upon on his 10 minute interview?

Andy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Douglas.

Did the email from DD not state why this 2-disc set has been delayed? I am very tempted to order it from their website, but £19.99 is a bit hefty and it may not arrive before Christmas Day.

Cheers.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Andrew - in his 15 minute interview, George Cole talks about his early career and what it was like working with Alastair Sim (they made several films together). He doesn't talk much about Scrooge through. I found the extras to be disappointing because although they look good on paper they turn out to be short and insubstantial with very little comment about the film.

Gordon - DD said nothing about the reason for the delay in getting this to stores - but then I didn't ask!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thanks Douglas. I was going to pick this up, but I think I'll pass in hopes of a better R1 edition. Maybe VCI and BBC/Warner can work something out, and the BBC version that was to be released way back in September can be out in time for next Christmas.

Andy

James LM

Grip
I had written to DD Video and had been assured there would be a George Cole audio commentary produced by DD Video. I had thought it was odd that the interview was described as 'exclusive' and there was also to be an audio commentary (which was not described as exclusive). I saw this as an anomoly. I have been arranging to record a commentary with the film's assistant director Denis O'Dell and assistant editor Michael Johns (who is still working) for use hopefully on a VCI DVD re-issue in the future. I had aked George Cole but he yurned down my proposal at the time. I might ask again.

The BBC / Warners DVD was going to be released knowing they did not have the rights to the film (they pleaded ignorance - use this example if Warner Bros ask you why you have downloaded their films illegally to show how easy a mistake such as this can be made). VCI were the company affected so this has put them in a good position bargaining power wise so their additional material and restoration might become avaialble to them.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I am glad to hear that VCI is making an attepmt with their future DVD. I hope they do this fine film justice on their next go at it. This would include making sure the opening sequence is un-edited, include the alternate opening, proper restoration, and the theatrical trailer that was present on the new Canadian DVD. Bonus features are all just that, bonus (but would be most appreciated for this fine film).

Andy

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey Todd,

There was a Canadian R1 release from Morningstar Entertainment of A Christmas Carol. It had the original theatrical trailer (which I have never seen on a VCI release in America), and two versions of the film: the first one is the American version, and the second is the British version. Basically the same, just slightly different opening sequences. Morningstar also claimed that they have released the most complete version of A Christmas Carol seen anywhere.

Andy

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I mentioned earlier AMC is showing the Alastair Sim "A Christmas Carol" this month. I watched it on an earlier airing in the month and the beginning is not missing. Aside from the commercials it looked quite good on tv. Anyone else who wants to see it may want to check AMC website for day and airtimes. Merry Christmas!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Hoping that aforementioned new release of Scrooge from VCI will be out for this Christmas. It would be nice it was the definitive release of the defintive A Christmas Carol, but that likely won't be the case. Prove me wrong VCI, prove me wrong!

Andy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keeping hope alive...

A restored version of this film is really turning into a "holy grail", isn't it? So many other long-desired DVD releases have been realized or announced.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
My remark last year about the airing on AMC had the Scrooge title in the beginning, not "A Christmas Carol". I sure hope VCI & BBC or whoever will restore and prepare a special release for the holiday market in 2006. The film is long overdue for the restoration consider it is still a popular holiday film today. when I bring up the film in a discussion with my extended family always speak of the Alastair Sim's film to watch.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Two days ago I bought the "Emerald Edition" of this movie. This is last year's Canadian release Andrew Budgell spoke about on the 2nd page of this thread. I decided to skip through the chapters to get an idea of the picture quality. The only other release I had to compare it to was Morningstar Entertainment's bare-bones release from a few years prior.

Morningstar was also the company to release this "Emerald Edition", and while the image itself may be sharper, I don't see how they can call this a "restored" version". There were specks and lines a-plenty throughout each chapter I examined.

What I do like about this release however is that you can choose which version to watch, the UK version or the US. The only difference really are the titles. One is titled "Scrooge" and the other "A Christmas Carol". Another plus for me was the inclusion of the film's trailer. Definitely a nice treat. Also included is a 10-page booklet.

In this booklet there are two letters; one from Morningstar Entertainment, and the other from Laughsmith Entertainment (the team responsible for the restoration of the film).

Excerpt from the letter:

It is with great pride and excitement that Morningstar Entertainment has, in conjunction with our friends at Laughsmith Entertainment, completely digitally restored this film to better than its original condition, providing all viewers with a cinematic experience not seen before. Not only have we restored the quality of the film, but returned its actual running time to its original 86 minute length, which has not been seen in North America since its theatrical debut.

The President of Morningstar explains throughout the letter his great love for this film, and how he watches it every holiday season. He even mispelled the lead actor's name, not once but twice. Alastair Sim.............not Sims.

The letter from Laughsmith claims that they had to create this DVD from 5 prints of the film located around the world. From those 5 prints, 700 edits were made to bring us the end result.

Now I'm a bit dismayed. I paid good money for a restored version of this film, and although the image may be somewhat sharper, this film hardly looks restored.

Andrew Budgell, I take it you own (or at least seen) this Emerald Edition? I'm really intersted in what you think of it. All I know is from what I've seen, I probably should've held on to my existing copy.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

The customer reviews from Amazon.ca agree with your opinion:All gave this edition of the film one star

All Customer Reviews
Note moyenne des commentaires
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other shoppers!
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Do not buy this DVD!, January 24, 2006
Reviewer: Frank Bruni (North York, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

A very disappointing release. A restoration should be pristine or as close to it as possible. This release is not even as good as previous releases. A waste of time and money.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:

HOPE FOR A BETTER RELEASE, December 27, 2005
Reviewer: Horror Fan "Brian W" (Canada) - See all my reviews

I own various dvds of this DEFINITIVE production, naturally i was so excited to see a restored version of this movie. However, this EMERALD EDITION dvd is a HUGE dissapointment. The booklet claims the dvd was created from 7 different prints. That would explain why specks come and go, lines (film scrapes) appear for some scenes, sound changes through out (hissing comes and goes), and worst, imo, the tint changes when Marleys ghost enters the room (turns slightly greenish) All of this is very annoying. Keep your VCI version for now, and hope for a proper restoration by someone like CRITERION.

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

Do "NOT" Buy This Version...!!!, December 26, 2005
Reviewer: stryper "stryper" (Canada) - See all my reviews

Granted, the sharpness of the picture is better then the VCI version, but there are persistent, light white scratches, that appear horizontally across the middle of the screen for great amounts of time, usually right across someone's face, that are so annoyingly distracting that watching this version is not much fun (it's kind of almost as bad as watching a cheap DVD that has a line going vertically, through the it for a nice chunk of time).

I checked out two different copies of this DVD and tried them on two different DVD players, to make sure that the scratches had nothing to do with my equipment.

The VCI version is the one to get, as though the picture may be a tad softer, there are no annoying scratches on the print (and until I actually did a side by side comparison of the two, I didn't even notice the VCI version being at all, soft)

Also, the booklet that comes with this new version has nothing of any importance, what so ever, where as the liner notes on the VCI DVD are way more informative.

The only thing that this version does have over the VCI version is the inclusion of an unremastered trailer (which isn't really all that great, as trailers go, anyway).

Hope this helps :)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Yes, I have the Emerald Edition as well. While it was nice to have a fully uncut version (the VCI version has a bit of the opening titles cut, and I believe one of Sim's screams!), the other opening titles, and the trailer - I found the image to be unacceptable. It's a shame that VCI wouldn't allow the BBC/Warner disc to be released. I guess we can only speculate on how good their release would have been. I just wish VCI would step up to the plate and do a full blown restoration. I'm sure they would be able to recoup their investment. If they don't want to take responsibility, then they should loan it out to Criterion or another company that would do it properly.

Andy

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Thanks for the input Andrew. Like I said I was really dismayed when I popped the disc into my player and skipped through the chapters. How they can call this "restored" is beyond me. Had this not been a spur of the moment purchase, I definitely would've researched it before buying it. It's weird because the Morningstar releases are the ONLY ones I ever see available here in Canada. I don't think I've seen one store yet to carry the VCI version.

But you're right. This is one film worthy of a full-fledged restoration. I just hope someone eventually sees fit to make it happen. As for this "Emerald Edition", it'll have to suffice until such a restoration happens........or until I get a hold of the VCI release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
actually i was looking forward last year , thought that WB was going to release this in a special edition , via BBC, but the became an issue of rights, i was looking forward to that, and i doubt if that will happen, this is such the superior version, it deserves the full blown treatment

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Will the U.K. market get the BBC/Warners version regardless of the rights here in the states? Or can't they release it anywhere?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I'm almost certain that it's not a public domain title. So VCI owns it in Region 1 (USA, I don't think they own the rights in Canada since Morningstar has released it here), and I believe DD Home Entertainment owns it in Great Britain. I think the BBC/Warners thought it was public domain and tried to release their own version. I'm kind of wishing it was, as we might have had a better release on our shelves at this point. I actually contacted VCI and asked them if they were restoring this film at some point. I was e-mailed back, and told that it was already out there. Well I obviously know that -- so I e-mailed them back, directing them towards this page stating that there are many fans that want a full fledged restoration. I never heard back from them. Here's their e-mail if you'd like to contact them: [email protected]

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks