What's new

Directors A Better (Blank) By (Blank) Is... (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
This isn't a tourney or a poll or a checklist. Anyone can post at any time following these rules:

1. Start with the film identified in the previous post.
2. Pick an actor, director, producer, writer, composer, cinematographer, etc. significantly involved in that film.
3. Choose another work from the artist you selected in step 2 that you feel is better than their work from step 1, preferably work that is recognizably better (but this will of course be your own opinion of that work, not some general consensus).
4. If you absolutely get stumped then use the wildcard step of saying "A better film from that same year is..."
5. Try not to use the same artist as the previous poster, please.

Example:

The previous film is Top Gun.

I could post that a better performance by Tom Cruise is Taps. Or that a better soundtrack song from Kenny Loggins is "I'm Alright" from Caddyshack. Or that a better directorial effort from Tony Scott is True Romance. Or that a better produced film by Jerry Bruckheimer is Kangaroo Jack...

Be obscure. Be controversial. Push the debate towards your favorite films, if only for a single post. And argue the merits of someone's prior posting as much as you like... as long as you end your argument by accepting the previous film as your starting point and pointing to a new film that is in some aspect better than the one you started with.

To start it off, one of my favorites:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Brad

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Good idea!

I'll say that 2001... is a better Kubrick effort than Dr. Strangelove.... Not much that I want to add, other than that I love both films, but consider 2001... an unparalleled achievement in Kubrick's incredible oeuvre

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Tough film to top, although I do prefer DS-oHILtSWaLtB.

I'll piss someone off and say that Ray Lovejoy did a better job as editor on Aliens, just because that whole ending sequence just seems to drag on and on every time I watch 2001 but the pacing on Aliens always feels just right.

Brad

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Bill Paxton performed better in the film Frailty.

His 'acting' in Aliens is grating and as annoying as hell!!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
not sure if this is allowed...but Manhunter is a better film than silence of the lambs, both are based on thomas harris books.

CJ

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
That is totally allowed.

And Heat is a much better directorial effort from Michael Mann than Manhunter was.

Brad

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
I love what Al Pacino did in Heat, but his performance in Dog Day Afternoon is one for the ages.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
But Nino Rota's score for The Godfather was still better...

(Where else was I gonna go from here?)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
As good as he was in OtW, I think Lee J. Cobb gave a better performance in 12 Angry Men as the polar opposite of Henry Fonda's calm, reasoned juror.

Brad

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
But Henry Fonda showed that he could play a better villain than a hero in Once Upon a Time in the West

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Ahh, great Direction by Sergio Leone, in Once Upon a Time in the West, but The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is Leone's masterpiece.

tyler payne

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
While Gene Hackman was great in Unforgiven, he delivered the best performance of his career in The Conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks