A 17 minute Lord of the Rings Promo dvd coming Oct.10, with a catch....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Oct 4, 2001.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

This came from www.cinescape.com I wonder if they will sell it seperately later?:
    DVD News
    RINGS Promotional DVD
    DVD Player comes with bonus LORD OF THE RINGS material.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dateline: Wednesday, October 3, 2001
    By: FRANK KURTZ
    By: News Editor
    Source: TheOneRing
    Starting on October 10, the Official New Line Shop will beging selling an unusual licensing tie-in to the upcoming LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING.
    The DVD player will be packaged in a box covered with RINGS promo art and pix. In addition, packed in with the player will be an exclusive 17-minute DVD "featuring behind the scenes footage about the making of THE LORD OF THE RINGS."
    TheOneRing.net provided details of what the DVD contains. It's five chapters are as follows:
    Chapter 1 - Middle-earth Down Under
    Images of New Zealand and the film's sets.
    Chapter 2- Imagining Middle-earth
    Chapter 3 - Creating Middle-earth
    Chapter 4 - Characters of Middle-earth
    Chapter 5 - The One Ring
    The current selling price on the item is $199.95.

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I myself am curious about this. I am certain all relevant parts of this DVD will appear on future DVD versions (coming in 2002 or maybe 2004), but onering.net did say it was a very enjoyable DVD. I am torn b/c I own too many players as it is, so I can't justify it that way. However, I was considering getting my parents a DVD player for X-Mas. Think they'd mind the tacky box missing the DVD [​IMG]
    There is always the ebay route, but I am cerain it'll run between $50-100. More thoughts to follow. Any other thoughts or recommendations??
    Take care,
    Chuck
    ------------------
    He had a plan. Maybe you just didn't see it 'til it hit you between the eyes. But, it started to make sense... in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

3. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I have this player on pre-order. Figured I needed another player anyway got tired of the PS2 in the bedroom. If anyone is interested I can post a review with some screen shots. Let me know.

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Uhm..? Just wondering about something? Why not save your hard - earned cash and download it from a ftp - server or something? Seems pretty darn brutal to actually pay that much just to get a promo fluff piece that lasts 17 mins.
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

5. Owen Allaway

Owen Allaway Auditioning

Is it a decent DVD player, though?

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/031029.html
    This topic was discussed here earlier. If you need a second player this seems like an alright deal. I am guessing the materials put out on this DVD will probabl be found on a future DVD release and probably just be promotional fluff.
    J

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I have decided that my parents are getting a JVC DVD player for Christmas [​IMG]
    It is a decent player for them, and a nice disc for me.
    And I get my fiancee to pay for half!!
    Take care,
    Chuck

9. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

What a sucker deal this is!! Why don't they just sell the stupid disc for $10 and donate the money to a good cause? Believe me, Im not into LOTR (but Im sure Ill see the movie based on hype alone) but I am a SW geek and there is still no way you can get me to make a major purchase for a 15 minute clip of a movie coming in two months!!