What's new

_JFK: Breaking the News_ -- Is there an easier way to purchase this DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I was 20 when Oliver Stone's JFK was released, and I bought a lot of it hook, line, and sinker. It led me to do my own research, most of which heavily conflicted with Stone's interpretation of events. I think JFK is a great, sensational work of cinema, and the editing of that film has to be one of the most influential cinema achievements I've seen in my lifetime...but the movie is a fiction. I'm ashamed at how I allowed my young mind to buy into it. The ABC television special was simply icing on the cake and the final straw. I'll always respect JFK for the skill involved in the creation of the movie, but I may never forgive Oliver Stone for presenting so many lies as truth. Conversely, I hope the ABC special is shown to college film students from here on out as a coda to Oliver Stone's film -- seeing the two back-to-back serves as a warning of the power of cinema to create a visceral visual reality stronger than the reality we all live in. It is a warning to beware Political Propaganda, in all of its many guises. Fiction or fact.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Very well said, Ernest. I agree completely.

I only wish that another "JFK" theatrical film could be made some day, stressing the "Lone Nut" view, to counter-balance (somewhat) Oliver Stone's fanciful take on the events in Dallas.

Perhaps the title "Lone Nut" could be utilized for any such Hollywood effort, which would shine the light on just the evidence that we know exists in the case -- evidence that only leads towards one lone killer hiding in a drab building at 411 Elm Street. And would spare us all the conspiracy mish-mash of assorted hidden assassins, fake shrubbery, and phony documents.

An alternate title that would also be good would be simply: "Oswald".

And then, a few months later, the DVD could be released with this small batch of bonus material. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
An intriguing article ..........

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/shannon.htm

A snippet (re. the so-called "Mysterious Deaths" phenomenon):

----------

> "The problem, though, isn't just that these lists contain the names of people with no imaginable link to the assassination (Jayne Mansfield, Alex Onassis, Phil Ochs, and a person who had a heart attack and fell over the eternal flame); it's that these so-called mysterious deaths are no longer canvassed strictly from the Warren Commission's index, but indeed from the limitless supply of people involved even tangentially with the case."

----------

"...and a person who had a heart attack and fell over the eternal flame." :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks