What's new

_JFK: Breaking the News_ -- Is there an easier way to purchase this DVD? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jack B. ....

Did you ever get your copy of this disc?

If yes, what were your impressions of the wealth of "Bonus" material on the disc (aside from the main "JFK: Breaking The News" program, which I know is very good)?

Also -- Perhaps Jim*F has watched the whole disc by now too. Are the extras truly worthy upgrading from *just* a copy of the Main Program by itself?

I'm just wondering if I already have a good deal of these "Extras", spread out over several other JFK-related videos. I'm not exactly sure.

Anyway, any further info on this would be welcome.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, David, I received the disc about a week or two after my last post in this thread. It's strictly a local production by KERA-Dallas/Fort Worth.

I would have posted earlier, but I didn't want to be accused of vanity (you know, resurrecting one's own thread).

An interesting anomoly I've noted on my copy, and I'd like Jim's input here: The actual program (the one which aired on many PBS stations) stops at every chapter break and goes back to the menu. I must then select the next chapter and depress "Enter" in order to resume the program. And it does this on either of the two players on active duty in my house (haven't tried it on a boxed-up, retired Sony 550, however).

I have yet to play any of the extras (happens when you have the DVD backlog I'm dealing with, along with not enough time). Since I have a three-day weekend coming up, I'll address that issue.

The picture quality is fine. But, nevertheless, there is that anomoly I've noted.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jack. :)

Another good JFK program is A&E/The History Channel's JFK: A Presidency Revealed. I liked the slower, fleshed-out feeling to that 2.5-hour program. (DVD also includes added disc, with two eps. of "Biography". :emoji_thumbsup: )

Do you have that one, Jack? I'd certainly recommend it to any JFK fan.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have that set as well. As far as a History Channel/A&E production goes, it's good (though I could do without the use of occasionally sappy incidental music in a documentary). It's nowhere near as good, however, as the typical PBS production, especially the two-part The Kennedys. The other presentations in the A&E set include a good documentary on Joe Kennedy and an especially bad short documentary about John Kennedy from a character/down-to-Earth viewpoint (way, way too rah-rah-rah; really, it's almost unwatchable). But the main presentation, A Presidency Revealed, is pretty good for a History Channel production.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jack. :)
I'll have to disagree about the "Biography" of JFK from A&E. I thought it was quite good; although it's been a while since I watched that one. Why do you say it's too "short"? That "Bio" is a "double"-sized one from A&E (100 minutes). With the Joe Kennedy Bio only being a 50-min. program.

Also -- Jack, since you have the "Presidency Revealed" 2-disc DVD....can you tell me which of these package designs you received? (I prefer the more colorful version, which, evidently, was not produced for the masses. Although I can't quite figure out *why* they'd produce two differing covers for the exact same product. ... I received the more bland version on the right.) .......

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jack -- Did you take notice of the rare COLOR video clip of JFK's "Civil Rights" speech of June 1963 that was shown on the "Presidency Revealed" program? I didn't even know any color footage existed of that speech.

I would really have been shocked to see a color version of the Missile Crisis speech to the nation from Oct. of '62. AFAIK, no color version exists of that one. Would you know?

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have the "bland" version of the box (the b&w pic). And, as far as I know, there is no color footage of the Missile Crisis speech; it was on b&w television, and b&w film cameras also recorded the historic address to the nation.

Wasn't thinking vis. the "length" comment!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jack.
And, as far as I know, there is no color footage of the Missile Crisis speech; it was on b&w television...
That's what I had thought about the Civil Rights speech of June 11, 1963, as well. But a color-film camera did capture that one (to my surprise).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jack Briggs (or anyone interested) .......

Have you seen this JFK-related program? If so...is it good?
(Coming to DVD on May 4th). ........

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jack B. said....

I have yet to play any of the extras (happens when you have the DVD backlog I'm dealing with, along with not enough time). Since I have a three-day weekend coming up, I'll address that issue.
Any further comments on this "Breaking The News" disc?

I'm just wondering if the approx. 55-60 min. of "extra" stuff (basically re. the Sixth Floor Museum") is worthy of upgrading from a homemade version recorded off-air?

Thanks for any added info.

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
I have a number of tapes and DVD's the zapruder you see is cleaned up, there was a stream of blood clearly seen on the digital zapruder film; you don't even see a drop of blood in this made up anime. Abraham Zapruder AKA Z-312 the head shot that threw JFK backwards, *not* sidewards as seen in the cleaned up version of the anime. No where is FBI department 5 is even mentioned, and the scope of the misaligned M/C rifle didn't have that kind of power. There are so many bases not touched like George Bush Sr. Oil company named after the bloodiest Mexican Bandit Zapata that left no one alive to tell the 'tale' as his trademark(Zapata Oil Company)!

ABC News just put on a show that only the gullible could believe IMHO. I put too many years in research along with friends I made along the way.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
There are so many bases not touched like George Bush Sr. Oil company named after the bloodiest Mexican Bandit Zapata that left no one alive to tell the 'tale' as his trademark(Zapata Oil Company)!
Oh brother!
You're way out in left field now.
Ridiculous nonsense.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Now I must moderate my own thread. Jon, go into After Hours, type the words "JFK assassination" into the search-engine window, and participate in the thread that comes up in the search-engine results.

This thread is centered on a specific DVD release put out by KERA-TV in Dallas/Fort Worth. Other, related DVD releases also are being discussed (A Presidency Revealed, for example). This thread is not about alleged "conspiracy theories" (and that ABC-TV special you mention was superb and sober; I am not "gullible," sir).

David, I knew nothing of this forthcoming National Geographic release. Thanks for the heads-up!

As for the supplemental materials on Breaking the News, I will look at them tonight!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
FYI ......

Just thought some of the people that have previously participated in the various JFK threads here @ HTF might be interested in the Kennedy audio program below:

Just came across THIS COLLECTION of JFK Assassination 11/22/63
broadcasts (on MP3 CD) via www.otrcat.com.

Run time is listed as 8 hrs. & 10 min.
They offer a free 45-minute sample download of some of the material. It appears to have come from the original WFAA (Dallas) Radio coverage. The free download version sounds nice and clear.

For just $5.00 (+ $4 S&H), I couldn't resist ordering it. (You get a free "Sampler" MP3 CD with each of your first three orders with that company, which has more than 100 misc. Old-Time Radio shows on it.)

Also noticed another rather interesting CD .......
Complete D-Day Broadcast from 06/06/1944 (23-plus hours of D-Day recordings).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Jack (et al): Did you ever buy THIS program?

I see that a more mainstream copy of the program is due out July 20th.

Some of the bonus materials look intriguing, and might be worth the purchase. .......

"DVD extras include: Photo Gallery, Interview with Arthur Schlessinger, Interview with Ben Bradlee, Home Movies, trailer, weblinks."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've never even heard of it.

Also, the link reminds me of what I so dislike about Amazon: the lack of any really comprehensive product information. For example, what is this documentary's running time?

You ordering?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
BTW / FYI ------

I discovered THIS FAQ AREA on the www.jfkfiles.com (Dale Myers) site, which claims that the Dale Myers' animation DVD will be coming in the "4th Quarter 2004". Hope so. Lots of other good info on that FAQ page too.

More interesting info on Myers' animations can be found here ..........

http://abcnews.go.com/jfk_conspiracy...acy_index.html

You can get some "sample animations" from that ABC-TV link. Also check out the very well-done audio/video feature from that ABC link -- "JFK Assassination: In Sound And Images". The most chilling audio clip being when an unsuspecting concert crowd in Boston is told that JFK had been assassinated, which is followed by the gasps of horror from the crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks