What's new

__Sean Bean - Underrated Actor__ (1 Viewer)

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget his part in the superb made for TV remake of Lady Chatterley, where he gets to take Joely Richardson from behind.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Sean Bean hasn't disappointed me and I have enjoyed his acting in nearly everything I have seen him in. It's about time he lands the leading roles.

My favourite movies that he's in.

* Patriot Games - starts off ruthless, and becomes increasingly so as the film progresses.

* Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring - great depth to his role

* Equilibrium - though a small role but pivotal role, would have liked to see more.

* Ronin - is well-cast as the foolhardy amature weapons expert, who De Niro soon exposes.

* Goldeneye - he bought more dimensions to a Bond villian than most ever do.

* Essex Boys - offered a strong lead performance as a volatile ex-con in this British gangster flick - check it out!

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Bean was excellent in LOTR, and I had forgotten about him in Ronin!!! Man, he was great!! Looks to be great in National Treasure too...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I have the entire "Sharpe" series, both DVD and books. He is excellent. I would love to see a theatrical version of "Sharpe's Waterloo" with Bean in the lead role with proper production values.

One movie not mentioned above was his role as Odysseus in "Troy". For me, he was one of three most watchable actors on screen along with O'Toole and Bana. I would love to see a film version of the "Odyssey" with Bean. That would put that abortion of a mini-series with Armand Assante out of my mind.

He plays excellent bad guys and very conflicted good guys.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
He's been a favorite of mine since GoldenEye, and it's a mystery to me why he doesn't get bigger roles. Perhaps he prefers to be a supporting actor, and/or doesn't want to be in the spotlight, because he knows what big time fame would do for him (no privacy).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
He does seem to be an actor who selects roles cautiously.

I saw this teaser and it looks good. Kind of a strange pairing with Cage, but it should work.

jian

Agent
I thought he was great in Goldeneye too. I hope he eventually finds roles that will earn him an Oscar nod.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, when you see a threadful of posts like this you realize that Bean is one of those guys who has been making his mark without getting noticed, building momentum till the point when there is this mass "oh, Bean is THAT guy".

IMO, one hit film in which he is the MAIN character would launch him big time and not in a flash-in-the-pan way. Buscemi sort of got that with Fargo as one of a myriad examples.

Lots of people will start to realize that "oh, he was THAT guy in film X" if only one hit role could get his name circulating.

BTW, forget that Chuck disclaimer, I thought he was the best thing in any of the LOTR films. I'm in the camp of "I wish they'd flipped roles with Viggo and Bean".

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Maybe it was just his shield, but Bean was definitely the coolest looking of all the fellowship in LOTR. :cool:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, but you know what determines final casting. Viggo is an (1) American, (2) Italian-paintings-Jesus-look-alike.

< - >

Cees

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
I duno, I love VIggo too. But maybe Bean is the stronger actor....then again I think Boromir takes more skill to play then Aragorn. With that said, it was more deserving that Bean play Boromir.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've always kind of chuckled at his name too. Perfect example of the idiosyncrasies of English (I'm sure there is a technical name for such a thing).

Is it "Shawn Bawn" or "Seen Bean"?

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

When Saturday Comes - Although the film was shocking, it was a dream role for Sean. He supports Sheffield United in real life (even has a has a tatoo "100% blade" which is a reference to this team). He probably knew it would be shit, but it was the only chance he would get o fulfill a lifelong dream and "play" for his team.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
he will never be taken completly seriously nor get the leading roles in big hollywood productions, not with a name like that. He should change it quickly.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I've always thought that the main reason actors like Sean Bean rarely get the "glory" they deserve is because they are consummate professionals... you don't see "them" on the screen or stage, you see the characters. He has not "gone Hollywood" so it may take a while for him to get the recognition fans believe he deserves. From the interviews I have read with him, he sounds like a down to earth guy who would be interesting to know in real life.

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Bean is due for some serious recognition, perhaps even an Academy Award for some of his performances. I agree with everyone here and I have ALWAYS thought he was highly underated as an actor. He MADE Patriot Games. My favorite scenes in Ronin all contain Bean. His bond villian is BY FAR the best.

"Oh please, put it away, James. It insults me to think I hadn't anticipated your every move."

...but as far as actors that deserve an Academy Award and haven't gotten it, I'll take Gary Oldman and his masterful range any day. Give Oldman the nod, then we can work on Bean getting his.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks