What's new

90125 Remastered (finally) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Not sure how many people care about this, but I do. Yes - 90125, one of my favorite albums from the 80s, is finally being remastered as part of the Yes remasters series. It's due out Feb 24th, according to Ice Magazine. The current (original) has always sounded lousy to me. Anyway...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, cool. Though I'm one of those prog-heads who worships nothing of theirs past Going For the One, 90125 has grown on me and is the only 80s Yes album I like. I will be getting the remaster.:emoji_thumbsup:

Musicians's tip: Owner of the Lonely Heart is very easy to play on bass. I think it's the only song I still could play right now...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
While not a Yes fan, I think I will pick this one up as well.

The bass riff of "Owner of the Lonely Heart" is easily one of the most recognizable one in all of pop music.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I care!

And I agree with you, it does sound lousy.

I still remember hearing "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" while drving with a buddy down my college's main drag, and going "Whoa what's this?!" From there I went on to buy most of their previous albums (even though different in style) & I became a major Yes fan (is their album Tormato really that bad?).

LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I like this album a lot as well. I will be picking this one up. I do agree with Mike Broadman that earlier releases remain most classic in my mind.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
What a great thread. Talk about bringing back memories.

1. I just re-installed a turntable in my rig after a a 10+ year hiatus, and one of the albums I pulled out of storage is 90125. Most of my vinyl has been played once or twice (to tape it), and then back in the sleeve. Some of it sounds pretty damn good, and I am looking forward to giving this one a spin. IIRC it was one of the better sounding LPs I had.

2. I too played bass back in my youth (had a Ric 4003, due the influence of Messrs. Lee and Squire) and Owner of a Lonely Heart was a tune that I once used (along with Tom Sawyer and Message in a Bottle) to audition for a gig.

It will be cool to see how the Cee-Dee sounds compared to the vinyl.

BGL

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

Yes. Yes it is. :)

Though Jon was singing about not wanting to kill the whales, I bet playing that album out in the open would do some irreparable ecological damage.

I would like to point out that I was never a musician by any means, I just own a bass and guitar and have fiddled with a few melodies and chords. I think my obsessive, intense listening/collecting may be a desperate way to try to make up for my musical ineptitude.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Does it have bonus tracks?

I wouldn't be surprised to see this on a DVD-A (incl. surround) within a year of the new CD. Will still be very interested to see how the CD is received.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Nice. I've been wanting to buy this for years and this will be enough to push me over the edge to get it.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I like the bonus tracks...I'll probably pick the disc up, but these days I'm a bit cautious.

Fortunately, Yes reissues these days have not been excessively compressed.

FWIW, this was my favorite 'new' album my junior year in high school.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I remember buying this cassette when I was 17 in 1991 and absolutley loving it. I then soon upgraded to CD and it was one of my first "must have" cd's.

I'd love a remastered version and especially something out on DVD A. Same for Yes's Union album.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate any Yes being remastered, but we need "Close to the Edge" and "Relayer" in Hi-Rez. I've really enjoyed "Fragile" and "Magnification" on DVD-A! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

cwhite

Second Unit
The CD of this album is really bad and any version would be welcomed. I still have it on vinyl though it's not the best shape. I was holding out for it on DVD-A, along with Drama and Tales of Topographic Oceans. But since high rez audio releases are just trickling out, I'll settle for the new one with the bonus tracks. I have 4 of those bonus tracks on cassette single released right after the album. Maybe the DVD-A will have the full length(20 minute)music video of "Owner of a Lonely Heart". MTV showed it once. Could it be asking too much to get the "9021Live" concert released on DVD?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
This is one album I want to get as well.

Also, I highly recommend Magnification. That is an excellent album.

As far as Tormato, I don't think it's bad at all. I like "Don't kill the whales", "silent wings of freedom", "circus of heaven", and "Future Times".

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
I agree with Dave, Tormato has some great tracks. I also feel that both 1980's Drama and 1994's Talk are very underrated and contain some fantastic songs.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
Yes is my favorite group (I'm waiting for my YesSpeak dvd to be delivered any day now), IMHO "Open Your Eyes" is their weakest cd. I think "Onward" from "Tormato" is a beautiful ballad written by Chris.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Yeah, don't listen to Mike about Tormato. He had a bad experience. I don't know the details but he can't be reached. Sad really. :D

It is being released as a remaster on the same day, BTW.

90125 was my first Yes album. When my buddy joined the army and was in boot camp, I borrowed all his CDs. 90125, Rush-Signals, REM-Green... I never recovered.

Shortly afterwards, I found a Double Tape of Fragile and Close to the Edge at the mall. The rest is history. Yes is easily one of my top three bands.

BTW, a 2-disc DVD documentary of the band just came out. Amazon should deliver it to me soon. I hope it's as good as the YesYears laser discs I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks