What's new

'9/11' special NEEDS to be preserved on dvd! (1 Viewer)

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to own 9/11 on DVD. I understand its a sensative issue. But I feel its something that needs to be remmbered especially for future generations. My dauther is 4 years old, to young to understand what happned but someday I want her to know the corage that this NY firefighters had that day. For that reason I would want this on DVD.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Yes... so was the Holocaust unpleasant but there are tons of videos out on it as well as memorials. What is the difference? Both were atrocities on human lives.
I feel that these moments in history should be preserved the best way possible (DVD) and like another person pointed out, shown in classrooms so we don't loose perspective nor forget.
I would like to see a very well made documentary DVD done using the cream of the video taken from all aspects of 9/11. It would proudly sit next to my CNN Millennium 2000 DVD which I just had to have (part of history also) :)

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
chad I was being serious. I'm sure there is pleanty of footage that was not shown. if they were making a documentary my guess is they were shooting in widescreen. Perhaps they did shoot in 4:3 because of the big buildings in NYC. As for the alternate ending I think it could have ended better, there was something that just didnt leave me feeling right.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I teach history and for years have collected historic newscast coverage of famous events including the JFK Assassination, Moon landing, Gulf War and much more. That has also included a large amount of TV and radio coverage of 9/11 but after months of inventorying that material and being overexposed to the events of that day more than the average person has, I found that after seeing last night's documentary I had still not fully grasped the horror of what went on. Simply put, that footage shot is as if someone had a camera on the decks of the Titanic during the sinking. I was moved to tears repeatedly.
A DVD presentation is a must. And I would also hope that other historic video and audio be released for reference purposes some time. These would include:
Television and radio coverage of the initial events. There is a web page where one can for free view on-line the TV coverage of all networks plus the CBC, BBC and other foreign networks at Link Removed
Also, on Christmas Eve, CNN aired an 18 minute industrial film from 1973 about the construction of the WTC that was done by the Port Authority of NY. This film was part of the Port Authority's archives that were totally destroyed in the WTC collapse and only because filmmaker Ric Burns used a copy for clip purposes in his PBS documentary on NY does the film survive. This would also make a fine DVD supplement as well.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
There was a reference made earlier to Pearl Harbor. While it obvious differs from 9/11 in that it was a dramatization and not a documentary, I think there are similarities in the discussion of how long it would take the public to accept the "event" on video/film. In the case of 9/11 we clearly reached the point (six months) where many people wanted to see the events as they really happened from Ground Zero. Thus I think the broadcast and possible DVD release of yesterday's broadcast is justified.
(Sidetrack)
Unfortunately, I don't think it will be long before the public's appetite is ready for the inevitable Michael Bay- type recreation of the tragedy. I can just imagine stories involving people working on the higher floors who actually witnessed the planes coming at them, or scenes from inside the cockpit showing the terrorists aiming the planes toward their target. When you think about how special effects made Pearl Harbor a movie that attracted people wanting to see cool attack sequences, it is not hard to imagine a time in the future when people will flock to see a similar film about 9/11. I'm not saying I would want to see it or that it should be made, just that I think it's inevitable. Last night's documentary, framed within the story of the firefighters, is just the first step.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I DEFINITLY want this on DVD.
Talk about the Texas Taliban, but I was about to record and watch it all and then when I flipped it on, the audio was screwed up. It was fuzzy and had a static noise and you could barley hear what DeNiro, the filmakers, and the firefighters were saying. So then I turned on CC, but (if bad luck struck again) the picture kept on going off and on. Then the picture shrunk and the station explained that three counties (including the one I lived in) were being "repared". Riiiiight...after 30 mintues of hurting my ears and eyes, I switched my TV to AUX mode and watched the first episode of Twin Peaks.
So please please please please please pleasssseeeeeee release this on DVD!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with this documentary coming to DVD, but I would not purchase it.

I have made it an issue not to buy films with little to no rewatchability. I just can't see myself ever being in a mood to rewitness the events over and over. I do think ti would be a good piece to perseve though, especially for future presentations to students/schools.

J

Jeff

Supporting Actor
MichaelG has a good point. Infact, after typing my Pearl Harbour comment above, I went to go delete the post but found I could not. (I thought you could do that with this software).

Anyway my apolgies to Randy_M.

Jeff

MikeM

Screenwriter
I watched it last night and thought it was an amazing documentary. However, I'd only buy a DVD version that was not "heavily edited" for TV, as DeNiro stated in the opening.

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Horatiodaddy,

On my home theater 9/11 was presented in what appeared to be 1.78x1 (16:9) aspect ratio.

On another note, I truly beleive that those two french film makers deserve a special award for their masterpiece. it took courage and incredible focus to produce this historical document. Pulitzer Prize maybe?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There was a good article about the brothers and this special in People a few weeks back. They stated that it WILL be released on DVD but a different version of what was to be shown on TV.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Unfortunately I missed "9/11" the other night. Does anyone know if there are any plans to air it again?

BTW, I would definitely purchase the DVD...

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I think this was shot on 4x3, and just cropped to fit a 16:9 screen.

The previously released footage was in 4x3.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I repositioned my Toshiba 16x9 to Theaterwide 2 mode once I noticed the letterboxing, but almost immediately had to put it back in Theaterwide 1 because all of the captions were outside of the 16x9 viewing area.

So I guess that makes the OAR ambiguous.

-Chad

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
I never even knew it was on. I've seen bits and pieces on the news today and I'm really upset that I missed it. If they do release a DVD, I will buy it. I plan to have kids someday, and I don't think they'd ever truely understand without seeing the images.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The end montage was also in 4x3...

So I guess the main footage was letterboxed to give it a more professional feel, and less like a home movie?

I wonder if this was shown/ will be shown in 1080i?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'd really like to see some sort of box set put together collecting other various materials and info. Maybe some post-9/11 Taliban and US response info, etc. Plus various coverage from other areas.

For one I think it would be important to present a "side documentary" just on the process people went through in search of loved ones. Images like the mass of flyers posted in the days following, etc. All that other stuff is just as relevent as the event itself and shows the power of the moment even more.

Also, there must be some documentary on the building of the towers or maybe even a general tourist info special on the towers. I'd love to have that there too. With the loss I think it makes many people yearn to see moments of peace from before 9/11.

Heck, throw on some footage from the lighting of the "Towers of Light" too. Oh, and maybe a docu on police and firemen in general. Something like an hour long A&E or history channel type thing.

Actually I hope they would throw on lots of the cut footage too. As horrible as it is to see some things, it also firmly plants in your mind how serious, how horrible the event is. Personally I wish that every jury could see footage of the victim being murdered before passing sentence on the killer, we tend to overlook how bad the suffering of the victims really was when it comes time to do something about it. I think that is a disservice to the victims since they rarely have a voice in the aftermath.

BTW, clearly they could use much of the profit to go toward 9/11 charities as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks