What's new

8mm Camcorders - Digital vs. Analog (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Our old Sharp 8mm Viewcam just died, so I'm looking for a replacement that will play the old analog-recordings from the Sharp.
Is the difference between digital 8mm and standard hi-8mm analog that outstanding ?
Any comments on particular models ? I'm looking at 5-600.00 price limit with no fancy requirements, mostly family pix.
Thanks

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Digital 8 is much better quality than analog Hi8. Digital 8 approaches DVD quality, while Hi8 is like S-VHS. Nowadays I wouldn't buy an analog-only unless you are under a tight budget.
Sony makes a number of Digital 8 camcorders, most if not all of them will also play your analog 8mm tapes as well.
KJP

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
My suggestion would be to get a decent MiniDV camcorder with video inputs and then head down to your local pawn shop and pick up a cheap 8mm camcorder you could use to transfer your library to MiniDV.
This would accomplish two things:
first, you'd stop any analog video degradation in it's tracks (as all your videos would now be in the digital domain). Secondly, your library would be compatible with every current and forthcoming video editing hardware/software.
Many low-end MiniDV camcorders are right in your price-range.
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Good suggestion Mike. I did the same thing when I got my Canon GL-1. MiniDV, firewire & Premire 6 Rocks

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I would go with the digital8 sony cameras and bypass the need to buy another cheap camcorder.
Can someone explain to me why miniDV is better than digital8?
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks