What's new

80's Slasher movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
WaveCrest said:
Had been considering getting the 1984 slasher Don't Open Till Christmas for a while. Checked Amazon.com for the film (it was released in the UK by Film 2000. Not totally sure if that release is uncut though), and found a DVD pre-order listing for a release by a label called Mondo Macabro. Vaguely heard of this label. The release date is Tuesday 6th December.
The 2000 release was cut. You can read about it here http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=741327 Mondo Macabro is a pretty decent label. They've released classics like Alucarda and Satan's Blood and entertaining trash like Lady Terminator. Oh and they released Hell's Ground which was a pretty good horror / gore film as far as recent movies are concerned..

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for sharing the link Eric.

Have also heard very good things about Mondo Macabro. Only title of theirs I've got is Living Doll. Looks like that Making Of documentary which was on that release will be included on the disc for Don't Open Till Christmas (read this on AV Maniacs' forum).

Do you know if the Mondo Macabro release will be uncut?

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
WaveCrest said:
Thanks for sharing the link Eric. Have also heard very good things about Mondo Macabro. Only title of theirs I've got is Living Doll. Looks like that Making Of documentary which was on that release will be included on the disc for Don't Open Till Christmas (read this on AV Maniacs' forum). Do you know if the Mondo Macabro release will be uncut?
It's supposed to be uncut, yes. Another link - http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/news/mondo-macabro-dvd-says-dont-open-till-christmas How is Don't Open Til Christmas by the way? I remember seeing that box all the time but I never did get to rent it or watch it. No spoilers..PLEASE!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have never seen Don't Open Till Christmas (1984). Decided against not getting the Film 2000 DVD release as I wasn't sure if it was uncut or not. Knew there had been cuts to the film (either for a theatrical, VHS or DVD release). Now, the documentary on the Living Doll release from Mondo Macabro could be the documentary about producer Dick Randall and the Making Of documentary is brand new. Or it could be the other way round.

It's a slasher film I've been wanting to see, as even though she only appears for a few minutes it's a Caroline Munro film I've been interested in seeing (along with Slaughter High). Also, there don't appear to be many Christmas slasher films.

Don't know if the Film 2000 release is presented in widescreen or not, but that does sound promising the Mondo Macabro release being a "brand new anamorphic transfer from negative".

As it appears to be OOP (and not sure if the release listed on Amazon.com is a legit DVD release), would like to suggest Home Sweet Home (1981) for a re-release/release on DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Killer's Moon (filmed in 1978 but not released until 1982) is being re-released by Redemption in a "remastered" edition on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday 13th March, 2012 (source: DVD Aficionado and Amazon.com). It was previously released on DVD by Redemption in 2008.

Have Redemption released titles on Blu-ray before, and if so, are they region free?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
An early 80's slasher which I'd like to see released on DVD is Disconnected (1983). Not sure if it was filmed as a straight to VHS release or not. It's IMDb company credits page says it was distributed by Active Home Video and Video Treasures (VHS release in the US with the latter).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks