What's new

80's Cartoon/Superheroes Questions? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

This summer we have Transformers 2 and GI Joe as movie properties that were originally animated cartoon series from the eighties. Can somebody else recall some of those syndicated series that might possibly be transferred to the big screen as well?
Some caveats. This doesn't include the Real Ghostbusters, because that was already a live action movie before it became the cartoon series.

I'd also like to keep this to the mid-eighties when cartoons started hitting a five day run when indepedent channels started showing daily cartons.

What else is out there? He-Man? She-Ra? Jem and the Holograms? Thundercats? Peter Pan and the Pirates?

James

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
the smurfs is one that is being made into a movie. There is also G-Force that could also be made into a movie.

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Peter Pan and the Pirates was actually one of the original weekday afternoon cartoons produced for the Fox network, running from 1990-92 I believe. Not sure it really belongs in your list, not only because of the year, but obviously because its Peter Pan which has been done in movies already. Still, it was a rather faithful depiction of J.M. Barrie's work, more so than Disney's efforts. Although the quality of the animation varied at times, I found it engrossing and entertaining at the age of 12 or 13. I would love a DVD release of the series; there were 60-something episodes. However, as I believe Disney has their fists on the now-forgotten Fox Kids library through the purchase of Fox( now ABC) Family, I fear it never shall be. They would never want to let it compete against their glossy and otherwise inferior depiction of Peter Pan.

Frankly I'm not terribly interested in mostly incredibly bad movie adaptations of my childhood favorites. This G.I. Joe flic appears to have an incredibly loose basis on the program I enjoyed so much as a kid. From the previews I saw I didn't recognize one single character and the show was (to me at least) ALL about the colorful characters -- they're probably in there but it wasn't obvious to me. If they want ME to get interested in the film they should show me the characters I remember, not a bunch of stupid over-the-top action and futuristic battles suits (wowee).

Clay_E

Second Unit
I think that He-Man/Masters of the Universe is in some stage of development at the moment. Personally, I'd love to see a G-Force/Battle of the Planets movie, if done right.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'd also like to keep this to the mid-eighties when cartoons started hitting a five day run when indepedent channels started showing daily cartons.
Which is also the period when cartoons were created based off toys, rather than the other way around. Essentially, a solid half hour of commercials.

TriMe

Grip
Real Name
Sasha Bloom
I loved the Thunder-cats.... Thunder..Thunder..Thunder cats HOOOOO!

I would like to see it made into an action movie..if they could do it with animatronics like they used in the Jurassic Park or Star Wars Episodes. I would pay to see it.

I was bummed they made Transformers II PG-13 instead of PG like the first one....why would they want to close out kids under 13 from re-discovering Transformers...isn't that where they make their money? Action Figures? I work with Junior High and they sooo don't dig on action figures past 11 years old any more.

These days I am not really wild about the cartoons my kids watch...the best would be Avatar - but I think I like Avatar better than my daughter does. She probably only watches it because I won't watch Sponge Bob or any of the other with her.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I would love to see a Thundercats movie! And a Battle of the Planets movie would be cool too.

Even if it wasn't syndicated I always wanted to see a Thundarr The Barbarian movie made.

Other syndicated shows: SilverHawks, Voltron, MASK, The Centurians, C.O.P.S., Bionic Six, Visionaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks