What's new

80's Action-Adventure TV Shows on DVD? (1 Viewer)

I was wondering if anyone knew if "Tales of the Golden Monkey" or "Bring 'Em Back Alive" were on DVD yet in any region? I am just curious because my Beta tapes of the shows are starting to ware out.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Man, that one was great! Was it "Tales of the Gold Monkey"? Who was in that....I remember Stephen Collins, but was Caitlin O'Heaney in it also?

Dave Farley

Second Unit
It didn't last long but I liked Tales of the Gold Monkey. I was in elementary school back when this aired. I had someone tell me it was out on DVD six months ago. It turned out to be nothing more than bootlegs with disc art and packaging.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

"Oh, the pain" :rolleyes:"Elementary School" :)

I was a little older then :D

but I agree on the "important" point; was a neat series :emoji_thumbsup:....just like you "HTF'ers" ;)

Lets see....what can I get Dave L (TSoD) and Gord for Christams for letting me know about the HTF "TV" forum? :b

What about a guaranteed release of "Jag" for Dave's "bro"?
(Dave already knows what I'm wanting this year..."Bionics"...yeahhhhh:emoji_thumbsup: )

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
"Tales of the Gold Monkey" was ABC's attempt to cash in on the Indiana Jones craze.

I love the show...I'd buy it in a second if it ever came out on DVD. I was 10 when this show debuted, and I loved it.

I enjoyed it when it re-ran on USA and then on TVLand.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Scarecrow and Mrs. King was interesting, too. Kate Jackson as an ordinary woman who gets caught up with Bruce Boxleitner as a spy, and assists him in spite of his adamant refusal to endanger a civilian. Totally improbable, but lots of fun! :D

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
What, no mention of one of the best 80's TV shows that just came out? C'mon! Everybody loves MacGyver! :)

I'm still looking forward to seeing The Equalizer on DVD - anybody know when this one's ever going to see the light of day?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I second that motion! I'd love this one on DVD.

I think the reason that MacGuyver wasn't mentioned is that it's available on DVD. I'm guessing that we're posting things that we'd like to see released, but maybe I'm the "crazy" one here :D

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I'm all for Scarecrow and Golden Monkey plus some other series like Probe, Phoenix, and Misfits of Science.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator

Excellent suggestion, pre-Friends Courtney Cox. Loved that show but very short lived as I recall only 13 episodes I think.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, but Vega$ continued into the early '80s, so it bridges the gap. That's a series I would buy in a heartbeat. It's almost impossible to find, and the few sellers who post bootlegs on eBay are making a fortune - hundreds of dollars for a single season. There's a market for that show, for sure, especially with all the renewed TV interest in Las Vegas - the show Las Vegas, CSI, etc. It would make an interesting companion piece.

Phoenix, Probe, Misfits of Science, Voyagers!, Shadow Chasers, Powers of Matthew Star, S&MK, Remington Steele, Max Headroom, the list goes on. Maybe it's because I was paying more attention at the time, but I have a great fondness for shows produced during the '80s. There were a lot of shows that really developed characters and worlds and drew viewers in and held them. And networks were more likely to let shows that weren't hits in the ratings play out, allowing time for audiences to build. We're talking the early days of cable, when it wasn't the threat to broadcast television it is today.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I never saw Gold Monkey, but it sounds really interesting. Bellisario has a pretty great track record, so I'd pick it up blind. Universal could do it in one set.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Not exactly. As I understand it, it was kind of like how studios wouldnt touch Battlestar Galactica intil STar Wars hit - the premise had been shopped around for years by Belasario but no studios would bite. Suddenly Indy came out and everyone was on the pulp adventure bandwagon - and someone bought the show.

Pity it didnt last very long, I remember the show being pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks