75 Ohm Cripmer that doesn't run 50 dollars?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric_Connelly, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Our TV sits partly in a recessed area in our Great Room. I plan on retiling our upstairs bathroom and thought this recessed area was a good place to practice.

The guy had drilled a hole just the size of the cable and it wouldn't fit back down the hole with the connector on it.

I whacked it off figuiring I'll just recrimp it afterwards...well then I couldnt find a crimper for under 50 bux.

I need this once....and only once....is there a half way decent cheap way to do this?

I'm half tempted to stop by the Dish Store a mile away that I had setup our system and ask him to borrow one for 15 minutes [​IMG]

Also where can I get the good 75ohm end connectors? RS and Home Depot didn't have the good ones, this is for a cable running from the Dish to to a diplexer that splits into a 811 HD unit.

Thanks

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    See about borrowing one. I would recommend using a compression fitting.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If not, you can get twist-on F-connectors at Radio Shack and the hardware stores. If you install them properly I’ve found they work surprisingly well, especially if you don’t have a need to disconnect and re-connect them a lot.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I agree with Wayne. I've had excellent luck with the twist ons but mostly use the regular crimp style with a $12 tool. I have $100 compression crimp tool and loads of the compression f-connectors but it's very difficult to use correctly, so I don't use it b/c I'm always in a hurry and don't want to mess with it.

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I am the total opposite of Dean. I have never had much luck with twist ons or the crimp style, but have found compression fittings to be much easier to install and provide a much better connection.