What's new

75% of 18-34 year olds stream video on Connected TV's (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
NPD came out with are report that shows that 75% of arguably the most desired demographic watch OTT content. This is primarily from Netflix and Youtube. This is followed by Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Crackle, Playstation and XBox.

This is in contrast to 68% of the same demographic watching content from their wired / satellite provider.

It seems like the disruptor of streaming video content is starting to become a reality, much like the iPod/MP3 was a disruptor to the CD.

It's kind of a shame that convenience always trumps quality....

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Kevin Collins said:
NPD came out with are report that shows that 75% of arguably the most desired demographic watch OTT content. This is primarily from Netflix and Youtube. This is followed by Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Crackle, Playstation and XBox.

This is in contrast to 68% of the same demographic watching content from their wired / satellite provider.

It seems like the disruptor of streaming video content is starting to become a reality, much like the iPod/MP3 was a disruptor to the CD.

I know the article is about Streaming but as a disruptor, downloads (not just streaming)are also part of that equation as well. I should also point out that while the ipod and mp3 are also disruptors the CD continues to be manufactured and continues to bring in a lot of $$$ for the industry which it serves.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I find it funny that articles talking about streaming keep getting...Services (Netflix/Hulu)Devices (PS3/XBox/Roku)Combined into one.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
schan1269 said:
I find it funny that articles talking about streaming keep getting...Services (Netflix/Hulu)Devices (PS3/XBox/Roku)Combined into one.
Yes and it probably makes the survey results skewed which makes it pretty much worthless.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Kevin Collins said:
I'm sorry, what exactly is the "quality" you're referring to, in current broadcast-cable TV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ejanss said:
I'm sorry, what exactly is the "quality" you're referring to, in current broadcast-cable TV?
I know exactly what Kevin is referring to.

I have plasma TVs, so I can see the difference between 720P OTA, 720P Directv and 720P Netflix.

OTA picture quality(provided you can get a non-jumbled signal like I can) is the best. Period.

Streaming is behind the 8-ball. And for me, because of where I live, always will be.

Now if you live in the bottom 3 floors of a Chicago apt building where your OTA sucks and your only option is Concast or Time Werner(which have crap pictures compared to Dish and Directv)...then you probably won't know the difference between the three.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
schan1269 said:
I know exactly what Kevin is referring to.

I have plasma TVs, so I can see the difference between 720P OTA, 720P Directv and 720P Netflix.

OTA picture quality(provided you can get a non-jumbled signal like I can) is the best. Period.

Streaming is behind the 8-ball. And for me, because of where I live, always will be.

Now if you live in the bottom 3 floors of a Chicago apt building where your OTA sucks and your only option is Concast or Time Werner(which have crap pictures compared to Dish and Directv)...then you probably won't know the difference between the three.
I can second that. I switched from Direct TV to U-verse and immediately noticed the difference in PQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks