What's new

720p on Panny RPTVs? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Like many here, I'm in the market for an RPTV. Just when I'm about to pull the trigger, I get a little nervous and decide to do some more research. I'm looking at the Panasonic PT-47WX53 now due to price and it not needing a stand like the Sony and Toshiba at the same size. However, looking at specs it seems that the others will handle 720p (converted), but I haven't seen much about the Panny in this regard. I currently don't have any 720p sources, but an XBOX may be down the line. Will the Pany convert, up or down, that signal?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent, thank you for the response Harold. I see you have the 53" model, what are your opinions of it (PQ, stretch modes, viewing angles)?

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
on the other hand, the panny crt rptvs actually do not work with 720p signals. you get a black screen. other than that (a non-issue in my house), a wonderful set!

ag.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I know the new Toshiba RPTVs accept a 720p signal. I even read somewhere that they can display 720p without upconverting or downconverting the signal. ;)

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator

You must have a problem with your setup or tv. I watch ABC in 720 all the time. My Panasonic does a great job in the upconvert to 1080i. The picture is great. I am very pleased with the PT-53WXD63. I would buy it all over agian. I must say that my tv has a built in HD tuner and Andy's does not, so there may be an issue with his stb.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure it's the tuner, not the TV, that's converting the 720p signal to 1080i. If you plugged an external 720p source into the Panny, it wouldn't take it.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Thats what I meant. But when I watch ABC it says 720p. I know it is being converted, but you are able to view sources from 720P on Panasonics. Now given, if you conect a 720p source to the tv with out converting it it wont work. ABC is the only network to use 720P that I know of. If your stb is able (which most are) you can have it convert to 1080i and no worries. :) Im sorry for not being clear. So I guess just get the PT-47wxd63 or the PT-53wxd63 and enjoy. They are not priced bad at all. I gave $1659 for mine. Having the tuner built in is nice, plus July 1 cablecard is here! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks