What's new

70mm film transfer to bluray using SmileBox simulated curved screen (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When I first moved to Maine, there was a cinema in Waterville (now a fundementalist church!) that had two very large screens, both of them with shallow curves (probably about 130 degrees). Every movie was shown on them. As I am sure the prints were not recitified, they must have projected non-distorted images using a spherical lenses designed especially for that set-up. I loved that theater, and attended it every week almost without fail. In the 70's, both auditoriums were divided in half to make 4 theaters, all with small, flat screens. It was criminal, in my opinion.

antoniobiz1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Antonio
I started experimenting with Immersive Display Lite 2 (I posted a link earlier in this thread). It works!
You have as many control points as you want, so I'l have to do my math to calculate the required distortions. But it's doable.
Plus, you are not forced to a center distortion: you can do an asymetric one and simulate a balcony viewing, for example.
Anyway, I put together a small video of the results you can obtain. Please please forgive the horrible quality, camerawork and editing. I have not purchased the program yet, so there's also an annoying logo. Still, I think the results are really encouraging!

bdzmusicprod

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Zachel
Very cool. However it looks as though you have to use a projector to do this. It would be nice to have the ability to do this from a blu ray player connected to a flat screen television.

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy
Its been awhile, but since the last post Smilebox has been applied to some other formats. Holiday in Spain and The Golden Head. Holiday in Spain was also released in blu-ray with Smilebox, and The Golden Head is rumored to be coming out. Other movies, even those that were originally shown in "Cinerama" went back to a flat release

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks