What's new

70mm 2001 to be released, but only in DC, SF, LA and Seattle (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am delighted to see so many people here willing to travel quite a distance to see The Masterpiece in 70mm.
Mr. Goodman is correct about the "restoration" of 2001: A Space Odyssey--MGM had wisdom enough to know that it had something special on its hands, and kept the original negative in pristine condition. Only the sound has been "updated." Though I must say that the beautiful 70mm print that ran at Hollywood's Cinerama Dome in 1996 had superb sound off those six magnetic tracks.
As for doing a running commentary: Friends have complained that that is all I have done lo these past thirty-three years. :)
As I mentioned in the other 2001 thread, as soon as the Egyptian Theatre dates are announced, I will post an invitation here for SoCal-area HTFers to join me for a screening. Afterward, we'll grab a beer and talk about, oh, Stanley Kubrick.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I can hardly wait to see 2001, of all movies, with Seattle's usual crowd of mumblers, seat-kickers, and cell-phone chatters.
rolleyes.gif

Wish I could afford to rent out the whole Cinerama. I wonder if we could get enough Kubrick nuts up here to pool our resources for an "under 17 IQ not admitted" showing?

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Wow, I can hardly wait to see 2001, of all movies, with Seattle's usual crowd of mumblers, seat-kickers, and cell-phone chatters.
At the Cinerama? Maybe I'm lucky, but the crowds there are usually pretty classy. And morons generally avoid 2001 like the plague. :D
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"And morons generally avoid 2001 like the plague."
Well, someone finally got around to saying something like this. Hey, Steve, though The Masterpiece will be playing up in your fair town, any chance you might wanna come down here?
Man, after a couple of weeks of bad news--publicly and personally--something's finally come along to make me feel good.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
quote: At the Cinerama? Maybe I'm lucky, but the crowds there are usually pretty classy. [/quote]
Well, I just hope the two slow mutants who sat next to us in the Cinerama's premiere screening of Lawrence of Arabia don't come back for a repeat performance. During all shots that included someone riding a camel, these ladies would rock back and forth in their seats, miming the camel's motion with upraised hands.
Then there was the guy in the back row who impressed his friends with Jar-Jar imitations throughout Episode I.
I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
[Edited last by John Miles on September 22, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
quote: At the Cinerama? Maybe I'm lucky, but the crowds there are usually pretty classy. And morons generally avoid 2001 like the plague. :D[/quote]
Hey, I avoid 2001 like the plague, and I think I'm pretty smart :)
(joke)How many tabs(LSD) you think I can sell before the movie? Can't be too many cops around the classy theaters (/joke)
(Before you ask, a friend in LA wants to see it and I came into the thread looking for the info (ADDENDUM) Server killed my joke tags, sorry for any who were offended
wink.gif
)
[Edited last by Jeff Kleist on September 23, 2001 at 11:47 PM]

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Jack- I thought of that, and I was going to take a trip to LA soon, but I recently became unemployed so I can't afford it anymore.
frown.gif

------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned in the other 2001 thread, as soon as the Egyptian Theatre dates are announced, I will post an invitation here for SoCal-area HTFers to join me for a screening. Afterward, we'll grab a beer and talk about, oh, Stanley Kubrick.
Hey Jack,count me in please!
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
I wish we could make it to LA rather than SF just for this reason, but unfortunately family is in SF. Maybe we could make the drive on down though, depending on how bad it is. I still don't know how I can justify making this trip when my 5.1 just killed itself, and our budget was tight enough as it is...
frown.gif
I know how I can justify it, but my better half on the other hand, isn't even that really into movies. As she so eloquently put - slightly paraphrased - "I'm just worried about spending all that money to go out there just to sleep through it." Hell, it puts me to sleep too, but that probably has something to do with watching it sooooo many times at a late time. Enough ramblings. I do hope that our country's problems have begun healing in a progressive, helping manner. I hope your personal issue heals in a good way as well Jack. I hope to see you soon.
wink.gif

------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I think Jeff Kleist is the only "anti-2001" person I like. :)
Seriously, though, I will post here in "Movies" once the Egyptian dates are announced. It will be fun.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks