What's new

7 input Component video Switcher at Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I was at Best Buy last night and I briefly saw a video switcher with 7 inputs and a remote for only $100 (CDN). I didn't have time to really check it out so I thought I would just look it up on their website but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this switcher? It supported Component, Composite, S-Video, and Analog audio I believe, Plus, I'm not sure what it was for because I didn't look long enough, but it also had some ethernet ports on it.

Am I going crazy? Does anyone know anything about this? I think I will definitely be picking this up and trying it out thanks to their generous return policy.

Chris

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Zach,

So how exactly does the auto sensing of that unit work? And can it be bypassed? Because I generally will leave the DVD player on and running, or the cable box on when I switch between the two, So what would happen in that case? Because the signal would still be coming through.

Chris

Zach Nelson

Agent
The auto-switching works based on the audio input, so it looks for an audio signal to make it's decision. There is a manual button you can push to select an input if you want. You can also set some dip switches inside to fine-tune the auto-switching. I think there's a mention of having the unit learn when certain components like dvr's output an audio signal even though the unit is 'off'. This should work for your dvd player.

The best way to accomplish what you want to do, is put the dvd player on the lower priority input, so when something else turns on, it preempts the dvd player.

Here's the manual:

http://www.audioauthority.com/techdo...nual752461.pdf

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The audio authority unit is a superior unit - but costs more than twice the generic units.

Most retail switchers work fine for standard video. But are not really designed for progressive scan or HD video signals.

If you plan to use it for HD or Progressive Scan - try to read the documentation to see something called "Bandwidth". You want about 50 Mhz bandwidth or better for Progressive Scan, and 90-100 Mhz bandwidth for HD video.

The Audio Authority unit IS rated at about 120 Mhz and is well respected by video professionals.

Hope this helps.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up ordering a 6 input, 2 output switcher from www.video-storm.com based on a recomenndation in another thread.

I don't want anything with auto sensing, I like to have complete control over all of the switching because I use macros in my pronto to do everything, and based on reading the manual for the Audio Authority, it seems to work by sensing when the device is turned on, but like I said, all of my stuff is turned on when I start and all shut down at the end.

I'll post what I think of the Video Storm unit when I get it.

Chris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the joytech AV controller 7 input on Friday at Bestbuy for $89SUD.
It does not show up on their website and it was in the gaming section not the AV stuff (at least at the SF store)

It has Svideo, composite and Component video switching
Analog and (FO) digital switching and 3 100 mb ethernet inputs
The svideo and composite are indepentent of each other.

Not finished wiring it up, let you know if you want
Grant

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Yeah that was the one I was talking about in my first post. (Joytech) I bought it but it is going back becuase the picture quality suffers for HD material. I also bought one for a firend of mine who doesn't have HD and is using it for all of his old video games systems and he is happy with it. So good luck with it. It's really a slick looking unit though.

Chris

Jimi C

Screenwriter
" I bought it but it is going back becuase the picture quality suffers for HD material."

I was looking at this unit the other day. Is the signal degradation really bad for HD or is it something only a perfectionist, or somebody with a really good eye would notice?

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I would say it is really bad, and not just for perfectionists. Even my girlfriend noticed the difference. It looked like there was a "ghost" image just to the right and slightly below the regular image. This made everything look slightly out of focus and when text was on screen (like my cable channel guide) you could really see the double images of the letters.

But don't just take my word for it, if you can get it somewhere with a good return policy, then try it for yourself and see.

Chris

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I've got it at home all unpacked and ready to go. But wouldn't you know it, my projector is in getting serviced. I just spoke to the guy at Sanyo and he said the part is on back order so I won't be getting it back for another couple of weeks.

I'll post my thoughts here on the Video Storm as soon as I get my projector back.

Chris

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Chris
I did a micro review of my new switcher in receivers/seps
if you want to check it out
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks