What's new

7.2 Sony Muteki any movies/music in 7.1/7.2? (1 Viewer)

someone859

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Hi All, Hopefully this will be an easy question for you all...as you are probably are aware (See title) I have a Sony 7.2 Muteki Surround sound system. I am trying to look for music/movies that are encoded with 7.1/7.2 channels (I am not even sure if any media is encoded with this), I would like to test out any song or movie so I can get the full effect of this home theater system. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out with this... Thanks.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Daniel, First, there's no such thing as 7.2. That's really 7.1 with 2 outputs for the sub (the .1 channel). So you won't find anything encoded as 7.2. Go to Blueray.com and do an advanced search for movies. In the audio dropdown, select 7.1. That will give you all the blurays you are looking for. You may be able to matrix 5.1 to 7.1 using Dolby IIz on your Sony. Just one thing to know about this. Most (maybe all) movies start out as 5.1 or less (as they are shown in the theater). Only later are they changed to 7.1 and this is sometimes done by someone other than the original folks that worked on the movie. So don't expect a huge difference.

someone859

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks David for your prompt reply.. I will have a look at blueray.com and see what they have... At the moment with my system I am using the PL11X mode which (according to the diagram on the amp) has all the speakers plus sub highlighted, I do have two subs connected at the moment but only one is highlighted on the amp.. I guess this is because two subs are connected to the one outlet would this make sense?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daniel, Yes, it is Dolby IIx. I mistakenly said Dolby IIz which adds height channels in the front. Do you hear sound from both subs? If your Sony has test tones, do both subs work when you use them? Have a look at the Dolby site for proper speaker placement. I would suggest treating your 2 subs as one by stacking them on top of each other. You will gain some headroom this way. Then the trick will be finding the best location. No guide can do this for you. There are too many variables within your room. Start with the recommended Dolby placement. Listen for a while and if you are not happy, move the subs and listen again.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Toy Story 3 was mixed in true 7.1 surround. It wasn't made from a 5.1 mix. Also see these:

http://price-adjustment.com/BLURAY-audio

The list doesn't have some of the newest movies yet, but gives an awful lot of info.........

someone859

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks David.. during the sound calibration I received no errors and all the speakers and subs were detected. It might be worth performing the test again though just to double check. I will read up on the dolby website and do a bit of experimenting (There are so many different settings I can use with this thing!!)
I had a look on bluray.com and did a search for 7.1 I didn't realise how many there were.. I was surprised though that that none of my blurays said 7.1 on them, they all say 5.1.

I have a few 3D ones and a bunch of normal ones like:

2012, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Piranha 3D, Monster House 3D, Avatar (non 3d), open season 3D and they all say 5.1. I am in Australia but I don't think that should have anything to do with it... I guess in the end it doesn't really matter since there is sound coming out of all the speakers anyway.

By the way thanks Ed, rest assured I will be searching through that website (and probably buying toy story 3 from the store though, I have to look into the region thing with blu-rays.. but that is probably a whole new forum :)

slevin1212

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Slevin
Hey guys first time on this I just got the 7.2 too and my subs are not working all the cables are in right checked them About 5000 times haha and still noting anyone have any ideas on how to fix this thanks

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by slevin1212

Hey guys first time on this I just got the 7.2 too and my subs are not working all the cables are in right checked them
About 5000 times haha and still noting anyone have any ideas on how to fix this thanks

Could be due to a few reasons... make sure your receiver is configured right for starters - set Sub = "Y" or "Yes" and Speakers set to "small" are usually the overlooked culprits.

someone859

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
I will have to check out megamind... so many blurays to get! lol. What system have you got Michael?

slevin1212

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Slevin
I got 7.2 and samsung 58 Inc 3d plasma I got my subs working I just used my own cable and worked right away really happy now thanks for your help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks