7.1 with couch against wall

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jermaine J., Jul 24, 2003.

1. Jermaine J.

Jermaine J. Auditioning

I am considering whether to step-up to 7.1. However, my main listening area is against the back wall. Will I be able to experience the benefits of 7.1 with this arrangemet?

Thanks,
    Jermaine

2. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I'm currently running a 6.1 setup with my main listening area against the back wall. Since the right side of the room opens up into a dinning room I couldn't mount the surrounds to the right and left of the listening position, so I have all 3 surrounds mounted on the rear wall. It's not the optimal surround position but it does the job and it sounds good. Not sure how well a 7.1 setup would sound.

3. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

In your environment I would recommend upgrading a different piece of your equipment. Proper 7.1 audio can't be designed into that room without some major guesswork, and in the end, you could very well end up with sub-par 7.1 (read: waste of money). Your money may be better spent upgrading your screen, or your TV, or your seats, etc.

Sean.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Seating against a wall is never a good solution regardless of the number of channels. If you take a look at frequency distribution curves the walls are loaded with peaks and valleys. You can see these curves in many of Russ Herschelman's articles in SGHT or A/V Interiors.

5. AndyF

AndyF Agent

I have a similar situation. What would be a minimum seating distance from the back wall?

Thanks,
    Andy

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

7. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Keep it simple.I use some bracket mounted speakers on the wall above my head for rear center channels and just point them down.My couch is also against the wall.It works fine and sounds great.

8. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

i also have a 7.1 setup and my couch i pretty close to the back wall also . i dont always use 7.1 but i am glad i have it. yes point the speakers slightly downward as the 2 left and right fire over your head. i am not sure what kind of speakers you are using (you didn't say) remmeber 7.1 works like prologic it takes information from the left and right speakers. unless you are using discrete 6.1. but i think its worth the investment. the amount of money you will spend on brackets and speakers will be only be a couple of hundred bucks. i got my brackets at crutchfield . they clamp the speaker from the sides and i didn't have to put screws in them(speakers). frankie