What's new

7.1 Receivers that play 5.1 surround data on the corresponding surround back speaker? (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Kind of an interesting question, but I am wondering how common it is for a 7.1 receiver to play the same information on both sets of surround speakers during 5.1 playback. It would seem a simple operation, so the SBR speaker plays the same sounds as the Surround Right speaker. Essentially you get 2 speakers for each of the surround channels of a 5.1 source.

I currently have it setup using the preouts of my current receiver to another amp and have matched the levels using an SPL meter..... I have one input on the extra amp for 5.1 stuff, and another using the surround back preout for any EX encoded films.

I am looking to upgrade my receiver for the Blu Ray audio formats via HDMI and would like to get one unit that will do all of the processing. Surprisingly I havent seen this advertised on spec sheets.....

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I think what you want is for a receiver to 'overlay' like Dolby Pro-Logic IIx processing over a TrueHD or DTS-MA 5.1 track. I know there are some receivers that will matrix a 5.1 sound into 7.1, although I don't know which models do and don't.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Yes just dont want to get one that I like only to find out it wont let me utilize my SBR speakers on 5.1 material. I worked with the Yamaha line and they dont have that option. They have PII and other surround sets(theater, concert, etc) but I want the option to have it play the sound straight with no processing....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks