What's new

7.1 Mid Range Surround System (1 Viewer)

g_wiesenberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Garrett
Hey,So I've got roughly 1k to blow on a new surround syatem and want the best bang for my buck. Ive got a marants SR5600 receiver and a Panasonic 65VT50 television. I've thought about building my own cabinets but at the end of the day I just want something easy and like I said before, great sound quality and clarity. Any suggestioms on what to get?

g_wiesenberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Garrett
Yes I am keeping my AVR and right now I have a panasonic 5.1 crappy out of the box system. Which is why I want to upgrade. I plan on getting an Oppo Bdp -103 and also stream from my NAS.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
For that budget I would recommend two systems :

First, the Andrew Jones designed speakers from Pioneer get rave reviews from everyone and are supposedly unmatched at their price point:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=andrew%20jones%20bookshelf&sprefix=andrew+jones+bo%2Celectronics&rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Ck%3Aandrew%20jones%20bookshelf

Pair it up with a Klipsch RD-12 subhttp://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RW12D-12-inch-Reference-Subwoofer/dp/B000UVWIO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371227166&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+rd-12

Option two: A smaller Canadian company called Fluance, I had there lower end product the SXseries before my PSB's and thought they sounded great. For your price point you could get their high end series:
http://fluance.com/product/XLHTB_High_Performance_5_Speaker_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_Speaker_System.eng-104.html
Then get either the bipolar or a second set of two bookshelves to round out to the 7.1 depending on how you like your sound dispersion:
http://fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers.eng-111.html

The floorstanding speakers in the above set have subs built in, and although they won't shake your walls like the klipsch would, will do a good job of reproducing bass in music and home theater at reasonable levels. They look great too. They also have ( I believe ) free shipping and are sent out the day after you place the order.
One last trick ( I learned ) if you do decide on these, go to the order page then try to navigate away, it will offer you an extra 5 percent off your order if you " change your mind " lol.
Cheers, good luck with your search!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Other good options...BIC DVInfinity PrimusPolk Monitor/New Monitor/Monitor ii(depends where you find them, who has which variation)

g_wiesenberg

Auditioning
Real Name
Garrett
Ok I think im going to go with the pioneers and klipsch sub. For my rears though what do you guys think about bipolar speakers? I love the look of them and everything im reading and hearing says theyre good.. thoughts? And if positive, what brand/model?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Di/bi-pole only works when you place them correctly. Also, you don't mix brands. Since the Pio AJ isn't available with di/bi-pole...forget the di/bi-pole, or forget the Pio AJ and find another speaker brand/series.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
g_wiesenberg said:
Ok I think im going to go with the pioneers and klipsch sub. For my rears though what do you guys think about bipolar speakers? I love the look of them and everything im reading and hearing says theyre good.. thoughts? And if positive, what brand/model?
My old set of speakers ( the Fluance ) had bi polars and I quite liked them for atmosphere during movies... BUT, I was running 5.1, so it was great having the sound seeming to come from behind AND beside me ... when I switched to 7.1 I went to direct firing speakers, because I didn't need the sound bouncing off the walls to encompass me, as I had extra speakers that actually fired at me. So what I'm saying is for a 5.1 set up I would recommend from personal experience the bi polar speakers, but for 7.1 get the direct firing ( regular bookshelf ) speakers. You don't want sound bouncing off the walls and interfering with sound waves that are already coming towards you from your second set of surrounds, it will muddy the sound. ( with 7.1 you want to know if sound is coming from the left of you or to the rear left - not somewhere in that general direction, otherwise just just stick with 5.1) That's my opinion anyways.
... Your right though they do look cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks