What's new

6os tv show dennis the menace ever on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Which is why right now Paramount is by far the best studio, while I would put all of the others in a tie for worst. So, only Paramount wants to get baby boomer money, I'm sure they are not unhappy about the other studios opting not to compete for our business. I think it was touched on in another thread but one of the reasons they may be so much better is that they really don't have much of theatrical library to mine while the other studios have vast movie collections and so their TV catalogue is relatively unimportant to them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yea, Paramount is easily the winner when it comes to vintage TV on DVD. No one else is even close. I've debated back and forth in my own mind as to a listing of the others. Some days I do feel like Sony is a notch below all the others. But then I think about the great shows WB has languishing in their faults, and I feel like putting them in last place. Universal bugs me to no end, but they have released portions of older shows like "LEAVE IT TO BEAVER" and "THE MUNSTERS." I know some folks think Fox is in last place, but I can't feel that way since they've at least released the Irwin Allen catalog and some of "THE BIG VALLEY." Sony's attitude is still the most egregious to me simply because they have so many great classics in their vaults and they seem bound and determined to let those shows rot.

Gary "but the bottom line is that Paramount continues to be king of the hill and no one is going to knock them any time soon as best I can tell" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My formula for predicting Sony TV DVD releases:

—If it predates Seinfeld, you might get the first season or two in a bare-bones release, and if you're lucky all episodes will be unedited.
—If it predates Bewitched, forget it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Why? To send you off on that Vac the right way :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

- Jeff "What else are friends for?" W.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I would enjoy this one being released as well. For some reason, I have always lumped Dennis, The Donna Reed Show, Father Knows Best and Leave it To Beaver into one big group. So far, their only representation on DVD has been two seasons of Beaver and tomorrow the first season of Father Knows Best. I watched all these shows in afternoon syndication during my childhood and would love to see all of them well represented on DVD.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Believe it or not, there was a promotional DVD of "The Donna Reed Show" issued by Sony several years ago as part of a General Mills cereal promotion. The DVD only had two episodes but, to date, it remains the only legitimate release of "The Donna Reed Show" on DVD. A site actually reviewed the DVD here:

dvdfuture.com :: Review - Donna Reed Show (Big G/Sony Promotion), The

TVShowsonDVD.com article: Site News DVD news: Sony, General Mills serve TV-on-DVD for Breakfast: King Of Queens, Barney Miller, Mad About You, & Donna Reed | TVShowsOnDVD.com

I'm guessing that this disc might show up on E-Bay or the like from time to time.

pghjerry

Grip
Real Name
Jerry
you'd think they would want to capitalize on all those kids, now in their mid 30's that grew up watching it on Nick at Nite

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You'd think they'd want to capitalize on all those kids, now in their 50s and 60s, who grew up watching them when they were new! After all, when we're gone, the market value of those series will be zero, because no one but a few TV historians will even know they existed.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I'm livid that they're sitting on all the old Donna Reed shows. That was one of my favorites as a kid and I'd snatch it up in a New York minute if it was available.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Could 2011 finally be the year where this finally gets released ? The rights for this have to be easier than batman, thats for sure. I read somewhere a while back , that 2 of the actors were willing to do commentaries if ever released. It was the actor who played Dennis, and the actress who played Margaret.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Well, I am surprised that this classic has yet to see a release. Almost all of the seldom-run, rare 60s sitcoms such as The Donna Reed Show, The Patty Duke Show, The Lucy Show, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Gidget, The Flying Nun, Hazel, Family Affair, Doris Day Show, That Girl, The Monkees, ect. have been released on DVD (some of them have seen multiple releases already) and still no Dennis? I just don't get it. Heck, even a somewhat similar show called Leave it to Beaver is already out on DVD in its entirety! Where's the love for Dennis?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's Screen Gems (Sony) and they've never been particularly crazy about releasing classic shows, especially a late 50's program such as this one.

Also it likely needs a license from whomever owns the character (Probably whoever syndicates the comic strip owns the IP?). And then there's some of the odd and rather unpleasant interviews given by Jay North over most of the past twenty years, which is suspected in playing a role in Nickelodeon dropping the program and it mostly being unseen since (Appeared briefly at two different times on TVLand a decade ago, airing once a week at odd hours where I almost never saw it) and damaging the markeability of the program.

I hope it makes it out. I think it's a great show and would love to add it to my collection. There's enough people interested where I think Shout Factory especially would love to license this program if the price is right and it's available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks