What's new

'67 Spider-Man, initial thoughts (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
sheesh what was going on with these two eps?

it looks like they(bakshi) took scenes from the origional versions of these eps, threw them on the floor, wiped them around then picked them up and whatever order they were in that was the way it was re-filmed.

i havent looked at all the bakshi eps yet but from what i have seem so far i would say he massacered this tv show.

Trey A

Auditioning

The production quality definately got much worse under Bakshi. However, I like the direction he took on some of the stories. They were much darker and pyschadelic.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Well, certainly on discs 5 and 6 it appears that way. Ironaically, the origin and King Pinned are my favorites, the style and drawings are well done. It's a shame he couldn't maintain that quality. Oh well. At least the set is as good as it can be.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
My only minor complaint (haven't looked at discs 5+6 yet) is that the Stan Lee introduction in the booklet is the exact same one as in Tom Defalco's "Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide" from DK Publishing. And I would have liked more Stan Lee interviews, he is very interesting to listen to when he talks SM or Marvel characters. All in all, very minor complaints, like a .0000000000000000001 on a scale of 1-10.

Chris

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I bought this blind because I thought it was the same show I watched when I was a kid, but it does not seem as if this is the one. I remember renting Spiderman tapes in the early 80s. The cartoons I watched showed the origins of Spiderman, getting bit by the radioactive spider and all. There's other stuff I remember that is not turning up on this set. Am I watching the wrong series?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I picked up the set today having not seen these episodes in well over 20 years (though I remember going through them a dozen times when they were on Channel 5 in New York). I always liked the non-Bakshi episodes better (which I always thought were produced later) and being reintroduced to them today I remember why I felt this way. Bakshi's cheapness forced the constant reusing of Spidey swinging shots and you would see no plot advancement for several minutes (check out "King Pinned" and also notice how Spidey is tailing the bad guy's car but suddenly they mix in for no reason a shot of a police car!) making these half hour shows very tedious. The early episodes had a tighter flow to them and looked better too.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Just noticed this set is out of print. Wonder why? I bought this for my 12 year old brother 2 years ago. Now I'm really glad. :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It looks like all of Disney's Marvel releases are out-of-print. All their 90's "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" discs are out-of-print as well, as is their "Fantastic Four: The Complete Series" release.

I'm telling you, there's bad blood involving Disney, Marvel and Saban and that's why those "Tick" episodes with the "Fantastic Four" parodies have been omitted from those seasons.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
If this series doesn't come back into print, I hope another company can pick up the rights and re-release it. It went out of stock from Amazon just 2 days after I added it to my wish list on there.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Try your local Best Buy. I saw that it was still available at my local store (on the shelf in the TV on DVD section for around $50) less than a week ago. This set is certainly worth having if you are a fan, and I doubt you will find it for less any time soon.

Cheers!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Im gonna go swing by my local retailers and see if they have any copies left. Local Target had it last time I was there... about 2 months ago.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
There's isn't a Best Buy anywhere near me but a friend of mine has one near where he works, only thing is I only see him once every 3 weeks. I could ask the next time I see him. I watched some episodes on Youtube not long ago and enjoyed them and I loved this cartoon as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks