What's new

'67 Spider-Man, initial thoughts (1 Viewer)

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator

I just looked at discs 5 and 6 and yes some episodes do look pretty bad. (especially "Winged Thing") Although I disagree about "Dr. Dumpty" - I didn't think it looked that bad at all.

The episodes that looked unremasterd to me are:

-The Winged Thing
-Conner's Reptiles
-The Big Brainwasher
-The Scourge of the Scarf
-Sky Harbor
-The Vanishing Dr. Vespasian

and from Disc 6:

-Up From Nowhere

and *some* of "Trip to Tommorrow" (flashbacks of "Return of the Flying Dutchman" - funny the full episode looks fine on Disc 2????)

Also, look carefully at the scene selections of these episodes, THEY LOOK REMASTERED????. Maybe it's just me but they seem to look better than what is presented when you click on them?

Don't get me wrong I'm still excited about getting this set but I'm just a little disapointed in not having all the episodes restored.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Paul, I checked again tonight, and you are correct, "Up From Nowhere" is indeed the bad looking episode on disc 6. As mentioned, when I scanned this disc late last night on my computer, I guessed at the episode title based on the reading of the time-counter where I stopped scanning and was one episode off. "The Devious Dr. Dumpty" (which precedes "Up From Nowhere") looks fine.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I watched a few eps from the set and was quite impressed. I compared them to the eps I have on tape from 20 years ago and the difference is quite astounding. Colors are bright, hues vary and can be seen clearly, the characters crips and clear.

The sound was also excellent, given the source. I was afraid they would go overboard with noise reduction as they did the Looney Tunes DVD set, but no need for concern. The jazzy music and dialogue come out crystal clear.

Based on this thread, I checked out disc 5 and the quality is indeed inferior. However, compared to the tape I have, it is still far superior. I checked out The Winged Thing and Connor's Reptiles for my comparison. I would assume the source itself is pretty bad. Storywise, these episodes are a mess to start since this was the period of time that Bakshi was looking to cheapen production cost... and it shows. The Winged Thing is a butchered version of The Vulture's Prey. Bakshi replaced the background from the ep with his own trippy visuals, blurred and darkened the image and worked existing footage into some semblance of a new story. The dialogue doesn't match up when there is dialogue and the ending was abrupt and made no sense... as if it was editted. Well... it was. He did the same for Connor's Reptiles. As I watch more of these episodes, I'm sure I will discover more. These are the episodes I won't be watching much anyway.

All in all a great set. It took me almost three decades to get all the eps but I have them at last.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
One question for those of you who have this set and the Spider-Man VS Doc Ock DVD, is the '67 cartoon on the SM VS DO disc remastered like the '67 set?

Chris

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've watched the first 5 or 6 episodes and I've gotta say, I love the show. This is my first time watching, and I had many people telling me that it was only worth the nostalgia value and that I shouldn't buy it. Maybe my expectations were lowered, but I really like the show. For the price, I couldn't ask for more.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

Yes it is very much remastered, I was shocked how good it looks.

However I don't have the 67 set but it makes me wanna buy the 67 set, just the disc 5 problem is holding me back.

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed there were 2 different types of packaging in Canada. One was a rectangular shaped yellow box (at Music world, Costco) and the other the regular size box(best buy-made in Mexico sticker at back). The rectangular sized box was bigger in size than the regular sized box. Is there any difference between the two in terms of content? I believe its made in Canada?:frowning:
did anyone buy the bigger rectangular shaped box?

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

Yes, it contains every single episode of the TV animated TV series that ran from 1967-1970.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday on Family channel, they had a Spiderman Marathon (Spideology) and the last episode was from the 67 series with Lizard and Electrode, well I must say seeing that episode has help me made up my mind. This is definetly a must have, the picture (I thought) was astounding and this was watched on DirecTV. The color, and lack of grain or bleeding was simply a pleasure to see.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Has anyone else noticed several episodes seem to have the sound slightly out of sync with the picture? I'm wondering if maybe this is the way they were originally done, or if it happened during the mastering process. I noticed this in the episode "The Menace of Mysterio", about 13-14 mins in., in the office scene...It seems like the sound is slightly ahead of the picture. I also have seen this on other episodes as well...Anyone else notice this?

Trey A

Auditioning

From what I remember,in order to save money or stay within the budget, they re-used certain animation shots with new dialogue. This didn't always look that great because the voice acting and animation were out of synch. This happened in some of the later episodes when Ralph Bakshi took over production.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, they re-use a ton of shots, and I'm not even finished with the first disc yet! However, it is still a fun show and I'm glad I bought it.

Mark_M8

Grip

Yep, it's true. It's basically the only real complaint I have about the set. I have found one trailer and the Spiderman intermission logo on one episode, I think on disk 4. Otherwise, they are not there.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
All television shows (with the slight exception of newer ones) had recaps or previews at the beginning and end of each episode, bumpers, and etc. which almost never make it to dvd. I've just taken this as a given. Older shows even had special commercials for the program to smoothly transition to, featuring the show's cast. If you have tv on dvd, just take it as fact that it is not 100% the original broadcast in just about every case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks