What's new

'67 Spider-Man, initial thoughts (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Okay, the top pictures are from a BETA tape (The Best of Marvel Comics) and the bottom pictures are from the DVD.

Quite the difference, huh?

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Okay, the top pictures are from a BETA tape (The Best of Marvel Comics) and the bottom pictures are from the DVD.

Quite the difference, huh?

Gord

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
^^ That's looks great!!! And now that it looks like the audio has been left alone I can truly look forward to getting this set!!

Gord just a few questions - You said there aren't any chapter stops. Does this mean for the 2 story episodes the only way to watch the second story is to fast forward through the opening story first? Or do the separate stories have their own access points?

Also I assume there are no special features? (beyond the written commentary by Stan Lee)

And... Oh yeah can you post some shots of the Menu screens or describe them at least) Thanx.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
^^ That's looks great!!! And now that it looks like the audio has been left alone I can truly look forward to getting this set!!

Gord just a few questions - You said there aren't any chapter stops. Does this mean for the 2 story episodes the only way to watch the second story is to fast forward through the opening story first? Or do the separate stories have their own access points?

Also I assume there are no special features? (beyond the written commentary by Stan Lee)

And... Oh yeah can you post some shots of the Menu screens or describe them at least) Thanx.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Good question...I just checked and there are chapters for the 2-part episodes, and you can select them from the scene selection screen.

The menu has Spider-Man swinging on his web with blobby things moving in the background, and some instrumental music from the show playing.

I haven't fully checked out the set, but there doesn't appear to be any other extras. Oh, there are trailers that play in disc 1, but I don't think those count ;)

Fans of the show will see these episodes like they've never been seen before. I get excited when companies do such an awesome job restoring their properties like this.

Gord

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Good question...I just checked and there are chapters for the 2-part episodes, and you can select them from the scene selection screen.

The menu has Spider-Man swinging on his web with blobby things moving in the background, and some instrumental music from the show playing.

I haven't fully checked out the set, but there doesn't appear to be any other extras. Oh, there are trailers that play in disc 1, but I don't think those count ;)

Fans of the show will see these episodes like they've never been seen before. I get excited when companies do such an awesome job restoring their properties like this.

Gord

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I hope that episodes of the same era Fantastic Four make it to DVD as well. My recollection is that they featured slightly better animation and actually mirrored some storylines from the comic book. Did the FF come from H-B studios? Oh, yeah, and while we're at it, how about releasing the original Marvel Super-Heroes show, with Captain America, Hulk, etc. This is the program that pioneered "xeroxography" as an animation form. ;)

Gary

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I hope that episodes of the same era Fantastic Four make it to DVD as well. My recollection is that they featured slightly better animation and actually mirrored some storylines from the comic book. Did the FF come from H-B studios? Oh, yeah, and while we're at it, how about releasing the original Marvel Super-Heroes show, with Captain America, Hulk, etc. This is the program that pioneered "xeroxography" as an animation form. ;)

Gary

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that show's "animation" was really unintentionally hilarious at times. I bought a budget Captain America VHS tape about 10 years ago ("Origin of the Red Skull") and my buddies and I laughed our butts off!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that show's "animation" was really unintentionally hilarious at times. I bought a budget Captain America VHS tape about 10 years ago ("Origin of the Red Skull") and my buddies and I laughed our butts off!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I too will be buying this set. As stated in another thread, I have about threes dozen of these episodes uncut and in the original form. I will run comparisons my self. However, based on what I've seen here, it looks promising. I'm also happy they retained the 'in color" introduction.

I too have that Captain America tape. While the animation is quite limited, the artwork is quite good. I could swear they must have used Jack Kirby for the artist.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I too will be buying this set. As stated in another thread, I have about threes dozen of these episodes uncut and in the original form. I will run comparisons my self. However, based on what I've seen here, it looks promising. I'm also happy they retained the 'in color" introduction.

I too have that Captain America tape. While the animation is quite limited, the artwork is quite good. I could swear they must have used Jack Kirby for the artist.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Gary, that is exactly right. In most instances, these cartoons were adapted by taking the original comic book panel art and then "manipulating" pieces within each panel (like an arm, for example) to create an animated effect. Thus was born "xeroxography." (Animation that's right up there with the mouths in Clutch Cargo!) Actually, I was always a fan of these cartoons since they closely mirrored their pulp brethren.

Gary

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

Gary, that is exactly right. In most instances, these cartoons were adapted by taking the original comic book panel art and then "manipulating" pieces within each panel (like an arm, for example) to create an animated effect. Thus was born "xeroxography." (Animation that's right up there with the mouths in Clutch Cargo!) Actually, I was always a fan of these cartoons since they closely mirrored their pulp brethren.

Gary

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

Fantastic Four was definitely from H-B as well ... I made a VCD set from the Cartoon Network re-airing a couple of years ago (they used to show it all the time .... but haven't seen it on in well over a year now). From what I recall, the image quality actually was pretty good (better than cable reruns I've seen of the '67 Spidey show ....) Either way, can't wait to get my hands on the Spider-Man DVDs ....

Bryan

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

Fantastic Four was definitely from H-B as well ... I made a VCD set from the Cartoon Network re-airing a couple of years ago (they used to show it all the time .... but haven't seen it on in well over a year now). From what I recall, the image quality actually was pretty good (better than cable reruns I've seen of the '67 Spidey show ....) Either way, can't wait to get my hands on the Spider-Man DVDs ....

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks