What's new

65 INCH LCD?? (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i have a 65" Mits. DLP. But the rainbow effect really is distracting. i watch a LOT of 4x3 movies, so burn-in scares me with plasma. Basically that leaves me thinking about an LCD for my 20 foot living room. Hve been looking for a 65 inch LCD, and have heard that they might be coming.....does anyone know for sure if we might be seeing them before Christmas of this year. Sharp used to have 'em....but not readily available now.
Thanks for the help.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
You could always pick up a 70" Sony, if you don't mind the $20 000 price tag.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The prices for LCDs over 52" is outrageous. That's why people like me are buying DLPs. It's the only affordable way to get a screen over 52". You can probably get a projector cheaper than a big screen LCD.................
Good luck!

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Bob--How old is your current Mitsubishi? You might want to check out the new crop (737/837 series) with 120 Hz feature; user feedback indicates that rainbow effect is rendered all but unnoticeable.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
There are still some of the Samsung LED DLP sets available and they don't have a color wheel, so no expensive bulb to replace or rainbow effect. I haven't seen them myself, but most of the reviews I've seen claim the Samsungs have better picture quality than the Mits DLPs.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I can't for the life of me understand why Samsung chose to exit the DLP market, given the uniqueness of their LED-based design. I have seen one on display (my local Best Buy still has their 60" floor model) but my eye can't tell any difference.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I suspect Samsung didn't like the idea of having 3 different technologies competing for the same market. I also suspect that the profit margin on DLP is pretty thin in comparison to LCD and plasma.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
You probably already know about Sony's new 65 inch LCD set for $4,999? Check out the Sony style store. I went to see it: it's beautiful. Sonystyle.com

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I heard that Sharp got out of the big LCD's as the fallout of a lawsuit that they lost. Patent infringement, or something, I don't remember the details, except for the fact that before that happened, we ended up with three of 'em at work!

I have heard that the newer plasmas, if you don't abuse them, aren't going to burn in any short-term measurements. And someone gave me a value -- full white not to exceed... ### NITS (which is often the unit of brightness given with PC monitors.) Unfortunately, I can't remember what that number was. But I think it was a reasonable number -- under 150-200 NITS -- my PC monitor is tuned to about 145 NITS (as I recall,) and it's painfully bright.

Leo

htsmailbox

Auditioning
Real Name
Jenifer Parker
Yes...Sony's 65 inch lcd is in the market. KDL65W5100 equipped with sony's flagship feature with 120Hz motionflow.
Ofcourse with all latest technologies incorporated Sony's kdl65w5100 achieved high cost & popularity in the market.
one more option to buy on this christmas ....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks