60's compilations - recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Milton, Oct 28, 2005.

1. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

I'm looking for recommendations on compilations of 60's music on CD. I'm especially interested in any collections which have been remastered. Compilations of one-hit-wonders would be ideal. One disc or several discs, just so the audio quality is good.

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

John,

I have an excellent comp from Rhino called Summer of Love: Volume 1: Tune In (Good Times & Love Vibrations). This may no longer be in print, but you may be able to find a copy at Ebay, Amazon, or Half.com. I purchased it for two MUST HAVE 60's tracks, The Youngbloods: Get Together and Scott McKenzie: San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers In Your Hair). This one was mastered by Bill Inglot and sounds excellent to my ears. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Thanks Jeff, I'll look into that one.

4. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

TimeLife has an excellent 8-CD compilation called 60s Gold.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Buy the Beatles #1 since they only allowed the WWF to release a song on a compilation on lp and never on cd.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Rhino has another set called "The British Invasion", which may be more specifically targeted than you want, but it's a good set, collecting all those gems from the UK that hit the US shores in the wake of the Beatles. There are nine volumes; the first four are essential, the subsequent five go increasingly into marginal and lesser-known tunes.

Unfortunately, I've yet to see an overall 60s collection that's as good and comprehensive as Rhino's 25-volume "Have A Nice Day: Super Hits of the 70s" is for the 70s.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    "Nuggets" A great collection of one-hit wonder material from the 60's "garage rock" era, from Rhino of course.

"Motown singles 1958-1969" I might have the title wrong on this 4 disc set, but there really isn't a bad track on the set, IF you like Motown that is.

8. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Thanks for the new suggestions. I like a lot of music so I'll definitely look into the British music disc and the Motown one. What I really need is a compilation of pop tunes. Singers like Little Eva, The Crystals, The Shirelles, The Dixie Cups, etc. I realize not some of these may not be one hit wonders but these are the kinds of bands which I'd like to have without buying each artists' best of disc. So compilations with the biggest hits, rather than 1 hit wonders, would be beneficial as well. Thanks again for the current suggestions. I'll be looking into all of them to see exactly what songs are included.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I think the Crystals and Shirelles are on "Phil Spector: Back To Mono". I've been meaning to pick this set up forever, I'll have to get it soon.

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Look for Rhino or Varese Sarabande labels- They have great girl group comps.

11. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

Russell, is this box set remastered mono? I checked the tracklist at Amazon and it looks terrific! Unfortunately there are no reviews listed.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I don't know! It's been on my "buy" list for years. I think it went out of print for a while, but I saw in a store at a rediculas price a couple of weeks ago. If this is a re-release, I'm sure it's remastered.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.