What's new

6 ohm speakers with 8 ohm amp (1 Viewer)

Marvin Namro

Auditioning
I have a 6.1 home theater amp ( centrum titan 500 ) That's rated at 8 ohm. Would it work If I'd connect 5 speakers at 6 ohm each? Would that cause any strain or harm to my amp?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Marvin Namro said:
I have a 6.1 home theater amp ( centrum titan 500 ) That's rated at 8 ohm. Would it work If I'd connect 5 speakers at 6 ohm each? Would that cause any strain or harm to my amp?
That depends on the speakers and the amp, a speaker's impedance is different at different frequencies, it should be fine though but i cannot guarantee it since i have no experience of the AV Receiver you are using, what make is your speakers. ?

I use 6 ohm speakers for the surround channels of my Yamaha AV Receiver and its fine but it all depends on the quality of the receiver and speakers, some speakers can dip down to 1 ohm at certain frequencies, it's likely that you will be fine though.

If you have a subwoofer, a proper one connected up it should work just great since the sub will take the lower frequencies and load off the amp and the 6 ohm won't be an issue because of that, most good quality AV Receivers will handle 6 ohm's fine.

What are your speakers, the sensitivity rating and do you have a subwoofer. ?

Like i say in most instances it will be fine, you will get a little bit of extra strain on the receiver but if the speakers are decent quality it should be okay.

Marvin Namro

Auditioning
FoxyMulder said:
What are your speakers, the sensitivity rating and do you have a subwoofer. ?
It's small Thomson speakers, only says the impedance on the back, nothing else. Yes I have a subwoofer and I can set the speakers to either "small" or "large" which has to do with low frequencies being passed to the sub.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Marvin Namro said:
It's small Thomson speakers, only says the impedance on the back, nothing else. Yes I have a subwoofer and I can set the speakers to either "small" or "large" which has to do with low frequencies being passed to the sub.
Do the Thompson speakers have any identification tags at all, it would be useful to find their model number. ? Do the speakers come as part of a system, for example like the ones linked to below.

http://www.thomsonaudiovideo.eu/en/21-home-theater

Marvin Namro

Auditioning
FoxyMulder said:
''Do the Thompson speakers have any identification tags at all, it would be useful to find their model number. ? Do the speakers come as part of a system, for example like the ones linked to below.

http://www.thomsonaudiovideo.eu/en/21-home-theater''

-----------------------------------------------------------------
On each speaker it says ''Front speaker - IMPEDANCE: 6 Ohm'' and the same for rear speaker, center etc. I actually have no clue if they came with an amp in a 5.1 compact system or if they were sold as seperate 5 speakers for custom home theater setup. I've tried google but no luck.

However, i did plug all of them in, and they sound amazing and i can go with really high volumes without distortion, clear sound. Only problem is that the volume is very low on the rear speakers.

Also, should i use Dolby Digital, Doly Pro Logic II or DTS?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You should be able to adjust the rear speaker volume using your AV Receiver, if you had an SPL meter and calibration disc you could dial everything in really well, set all speakers to small and let the sub handle the lower frequencies, as far as Dolby and DTS etc, its all dependent on the disc, if it's content from the TV then Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic II can usually work well.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It would be more helpful to know what receiver you have than anything about the speakers. Most receivers can handle 6 ohms; 4 ohms gets tricky, but you're gnerally safe with 6. Those receivers that can't will say so in their manual. If it's a newer receiver (~ last 5 years), it will just go into protect mode.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Al.Anderson said:
It would be more helpful to know what receiver you have than anything about the speakers. Most receivers can handle 6 ohms; 4 ohms gets tricky, but you're gnerally safe with 6. Those receivers that can't will say so in their manual. If it's a newer receiver (~ last 5 years), it will just go into protect mode.
Did you read the entire thread AI, they mentioned the amp in the very first post, i googled it, that is why i then ask about the speakers since i know the amp has the power i now need to know if the speakers are capable, the original poster has already stated they can be played loud with no distortion and this now tells me the speakers are capable since ones which are not will distort at high volumes, now they need to use an SPL meter and calibration disc to get the rear speaker volume and indeed all the speaker volumes absolutely correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks