What's new

6 Channel vs. A/B Stereo (1 Viewer)

RyanBarker

Auditioning
Ok, i got a bit of a problem,need some advice.

My setup is
Yamaha rx-450
Mission m74i Fronts
Mission m70 Rears
Mission m7c2 Center

Here is the problem. In normal setup... the fronts are on the A posts, the center on Center Posts and the rears are on L&R surround Posts. When i Listen to music, i only use the 2 front m74i's because I do not like the sound of "6 channel stereo." Yesterday, just for fun I moved the rear speakers to the Front B posts on the receiver.... and then played some of my favorite cd's with both A& B speakers on. I loved it!! Amazing. The 6 Channel thing is terrible.... but this A and B setup really got me excited. Problem is... when i want to watch a DVD i have to manually plug the rears back into the surround posts on the receiver. The only thing I could think of were 1. see if my receiver can somehow solve this (i didnt find in the instructions and I doubted I would) or 2. this is an idea that makes me shiver.... but splice the rear wires to feed both to the surround inputs and the B speaker posts,(of course only using one at a time.)
Anyone have any opinions for me? Help would be much appreciated.

-RB

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
hmmmm. i'm not familiar with your receiver so i'm not sure how your "6-channel stereo" mode works, exactly, but can you individually turn the center channel completely down to OFF in that mode without really "losing" anything content-wise?

and will your receiver then remember those speaker settings individually for each mode?

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
On a lot of receivers (probably most), the B channel doesnt get bass management. Also, again in a lot of cases, the B channel doesnt get the best DAC (relative to the A channel DAC).

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
yeah, theoretically, leaving the speakers connected to individual channels should yield the best results; not sharing an amp (again, i'm not familiar with your receiver).

is your "6 channel stereo" mode doing some additional processing that could be causing it to sound poor?

RyanBarker

Auditioning
Hi,

Well, some of that was over my head. I didnt understand the part about bass management for the B speakers.

Heres what i notice, in the yamaha 6 chan stereo mode(yes, i believe it is an effect, not a true pass thru of music) the rear speakers get a small workout like they would in a DD or DTS movie. Sound.... but not LOUD and no bass. With them connected to the B channel, they get the same power the fronts get.... and they rock. Of course not the level of the m74's.... but the m70 rears are a decent sized bookshelf speaker. We are not talking about some small satts for rears... these things can bump.... and in 6 channel stereo, they feel sad.... and thirst for more!

-RB

RyanBarker

Auditioning
side note:

the m70 rears are front ported and wall mounted... and i can FEEL that they dont get a workout in 6 chan mode. Minimal air pressure.

Personal Opinion: 6 Channel Stereo was invented for sub/sat systems... i can see the benefit of it with a system like that.

-RB

Marc H

Second Unit
Try adjusting the delay times for the speakers in the six channel stereo mode. I think you might find that makes quite a difference in how that mode sounds.
I use a Yamaha with an 8 channel stereo mode which I initially thought was a gimmick that I would never use but I have found it wonderful for radio listening or for low volume TV watching.

JamesCB

Second Unit

Are you sure? I've never heard of that. Ususally the "B" speaker out is parralleled with the "A" output. There is not a seperate pre/amp section for the "B" speakers out.

James

RyanBarker

Auditioning
Your correct, I just put my main speakers on B for a test, they get the same power and sound as when they are conected to the A binding posts.

-RB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks