What's new

6 Ch. Analog Audio Cables? (1 Viewer)

I am planning to buy the Pioneer 563A SACD/DVD-Audio player.
Can anyone recommend to me 6 ch. audio cables? Also, where to buy them online at a good price.

Thanks

Mark Rich

Second Unit
For analog audio cables I'd avoid BJC and go with one of the following custom cable makers. They all offer more suitable connectors for this application than what BJC installs:
Bettercables.com
RhinoCables.com
Heartlandcables.com
Catcables.com
Signalcable.com

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
For analog audio cables I'd avoid BJC and go with one of the following custom cable makers. They all offer more suitable connectors for this application than what BJC installs:
Mark I'm surprised to hear you say that. I dropped my better cables for the bluejeans last month and am much happier with them. I am curious why you feel they may not be a good buy for this application?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
The best cable they offer for analog audio use is Belden 89259. This is also offered by many custom cable makers. The problem with BJC is they use Canare crimp (RCAPS) connectors rather than better, more suitable RCA connectors. For digital and video use these are great connectors but not when it comes to analog audio.
Simply switching the connector on this perfectly good cable can make a dramatic improvement in its overall performance.
I replaced my canare crimp-ons (RCAPS) a long time ago with a mix of Bullets and Vampire RCA connectors. The most improvement was noticeable in the upper ranges.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Mark...I just did the same thing...went with vampire interconnects and 89259...canare is great for video(I bought a component for hdtv from rhino also..works great! Grab some audio cables from rhino...great price great service!

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Hi TommyL,
Good choice you made. The Belden 89259 cable deserves the reputation its earned but its one fault is that its sensitive to the connector its matched with. It needs and deserves a quality RCA (Vampire,Cardas,WBT etc.)to ensure it performs to its full potential. Once properly matched it will compete with more expensive ic's.
I'd be a bigger fan of the Bullet RCA's if they had better strain relief built in. Relying on a plastic body and cover to provide long term strain relief is risky.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well damn if those cables don't come out to a little over $160. I'll bet with a little bit of hunting you can get that Pioneer for less. Of course you'll get a total of 12 bullets that you can use to shoot yourself and wonder wtf is up with this hobby and wonder what's up in general.

You're passing an audio signal from your multi-player to your receiver. In the traditional and accepted way this is done such that a low impedance source goes into a high impedance device. When these conditions are fulfilled, as they are here, then the only factor that can possibly come into play is the cable capacitance. Neither the resistance, inductance, impedance is important. Only the capacitance is of importance and the rule of thumb is that we want a low capacitance cable. It is the capacitance that has an effect on the linearity of the signal. Keep in mind though, that it's going to take a signficant, and I do mean significant amount of capacitance before you start affecting the top end of the audible spectrum (20 kHz) to a degree that it becomes audible. If you were running extraordinarly long lengths, let's say 50 feet, maybe more, I'd say find the lowest capacitance cable you can. In that case, an argument for something like Belden 89259 could be made, although there are even lower capacitance cables out there.

Let's look at some other alternatives.

We have AVCable will set you back about $16 cable, in blue or black, with gold RCA's for 1 meter. Damn, that's still $96 for six cables. OK then, how's about buying two sets of Video cables (3 cables to a set) from National-Tech. That'll set you back a little under $18 for all the cables. Now you're saying, hey, these are video cables. I want audio. No reason why you can't use video cables for audio. You think that Belden was designed as an audio cable? Nope!

Want some more choices? Any RCA interconnect used for car audio will work just fine. Scosche and Streetwires are examples but there are others. Maybe you'd rather some AR Pro's. Available all over the place and probably local to you.

Ebay is also a source. Do a search on interconnect and sort the results the way you want.

You can also go down to your local Guitar Center and see what they have. Nice interconnects can be made from Mogami microphone wire.

So what's the best you say? They all will perform equally well in your system. Buy according to whatever other preferences you may have.

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
You can have the Phonix gold arx 320 (2 meters shielded) for $3.39 a pair from Link Removed

I just got some tuesday, they arrived today (thursday) (total 18.36 shipped).

The ones from national-tech(component video ones) are 17.68 plus shipping.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
And now there's money left over for pizza, beer, a few cracked SACD's from Crest, etc.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I know, I know...everyone says this and that about cables...I swapped out my AR pro video cables, and swapped in my rhino component cable..which was 30 bucks more..wooptee..and I found it quite a bit better on the video side(hdnet looked better to me)...I'm not one to buy a ton of spendy cables, but I see the difference myself, and I'm no pushover :) If you have some great equipment...what the hell is 150 bucks? I mean really...for me knowing that I have good quality all over, its worth it...Now you will never convince me that a power cord for 500 bucks is worth it...If you are using these 40k pre/pro, and they give you a normal power cord, They obviously know it doesn't matter...It may make a difference, but I won't be one to follow that:) Chu, you could have a point..on paper you are or at least have me convinced that you are correct...Being I'm no Elec engineer...BUT you have to somewhat agree that these cables can faulter...if they are made improperly..possibly cheaper jackets, interconnects can break...a lot can happen...when it does, you go buy a new one...so I call rhino, and they replace it...good reason to go with someone good...and really 275 bucks for 2 component and 3 sets of audio isn't all that bad...monster would still get ya for more, and look at all those best buy "bose" walker outters...I bet ya they were given the "monster" treatment. Not up for arguement, as I believe ya, but the above states why I choose to spend a little more...tom

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Hey Tom, look up the price of the unit the poster purchased. It's like slapping $20,000 worth of tires on a $20,000 car and all you're doing is 55 mph going to and from work.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
ok, he's got enough money left over for a trip to the local gentleman's establishment too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks