What's new

$58 DVD player at Radio Shack with Region-Free hack...plus $10 mail-in rebate! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
You have to first connect this unit via Svideo go into the menu and change the output to progressive. Then connect the component cables. One thing I noticed for the 1st time last night, when in interlaced mode I get a thin line flashing on the right botom of the picture. Switching into progressive mode stops this. Anyone else have this problem?

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
You have to first connect this unit via Svideo go into the menu and change the output to progressive. Then connect the component cables
Maybe you mean either s-video or composite just so you'll see the menu? Thanks. So if it's not set on progressive, the component connection will give you black and white images? How strange.

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
I was using cheap component cables that came with another device. You're right that the Cyberhome doesn't come with component cables.

Anyway, if anyone's still hunting for this unit, it's available without rebate for $59 here.

Matt_P

Second Unit
A question for those in the know...

The Radio Shack website says this player has DD/dts decoding capability. Is this accurate? For instance, my receiver is Dolby Digital only--with this player hooked up to my receiver, will I be able to play dts tracks? Or does this player only feature a "dts out" feature, needing decoding by an external unit?

If this puppy decodes dts, I'll have to pick one up for sure. If not, are there any cheap prog scan players that do so?

Thanks.

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
This unit only passes the DTS signal, not decode it. Even most inexpensive receivers these days have DTS decoders though.

I'd still be interested in others' experience with the component video output with their units. Mine is really poor. S-Video is good though.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Actually, it does decode the DTS signal.

Downconverts the 5.x/6.x soundtracks to stereo just fine. Tried it with many DTS DVDs such as Battle Royale, Driven(R3 HK), Angel Eyes(R3 HK), Minority Report, U-571, and Final Destination 2...just to name a few.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Does it decode dts downconverted to stereo only? No 5.1? Don't you need the 5.1 outputs on the player for a "true" 5.1 dts decoder?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
No, it can downconvert it to stereo or stereo surround.

I just have my unit hooked up to a TV and am using the TV speakers only.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Blast from the past!

I've been enjoying this player quite a bit, but this is the first time I've tried to play a non-region 1 DVD on it. I can't the Menu-1-9 thing to work!! No menu comes up, no matter how many times I've tried turning it off and on, and no matter how fast I've tried to punch in the keys. Any suggestions?

It's "MENU" on the remote (with "PBC" - whatever that means - printed on the face of the key), then the number 1, then 9 on the keypad, right?

The display still flips directly to "Insert disc" after "Read", and when I put the disc in, it says "Region Err". I'm stumped.

Thanks,

- Bob P.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
NO DVD MUST BE IN THE PLAYER.

Leave disc tray closed.

Turn on machine.

With remote, slowly press MENu, 1, then, 9

When a service menu appears, press the UP arrow to highlight REGION and press ENTER. Then press 0 then ENTER again.

Press OPEN/CLOSE and insert disc.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Heh, i love this little player ! It works with any thing i throw at it . Im now using it almost as much as my primary player ! I have to say when compared to the old cyberhome model the 402 , this version the 300 has better picture and sound quality , plus DTS to boot ! Dave is the man for recommending it this past summer !:emoji_thumbsup: :)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, Rutger. (And glad you like the player, Tony!)

I'm happy to report that I finally got it to work! I wish I could say exactly what I did, but I think it must have just come down to getting the timing right. ?? After so many tries today, I hope that now that I've done it (and have confidence that it works!), I can do it with more regularity in the future.

Great little player.....other-region DVDs, here I come! :D

Much appreciated,

- Bob

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bob, you won't have to re-input the code. It stays in memory, and even after power outages I haven't had to redo it.

Glad you got it to work, and that everyone likes it! :emoji_thumbsup:

I like mine, and plan to start using it a LOT more after I get some strategic R2 Christmas gifts for the missus. :D

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Just an update for those wondering about 16x9 widescreen PAL formatted discs...

Yes, the player can not downconvert them for proper viewing on a 4x3 TV.

But if you have a TV with a 16x9 mode, then you can view them in the proper dimensions.

I just picked up the Toshiba 27AF43 with 16:9 mode and my PAL 16x9 enhanced discs look great on it.

Before with my old Sony, I had to set the player to 4:3 Pan & Scan to get the proper dimensions however I would be losing information on the sides.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Hmmmm....

Just checked the Radioshack webpage and it is still available, and now it is on sale for $49.99.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got a player for $35 at Target last month from a brand called Portland, it also has a remote code for region-free and can properly convert 16x9 PAL discs for 4x3 TVs! It's got some cool audio effects too, like echo and pitch control (to make stuff sound sped up or slowed down!)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This player is now on sale at the local (well, 20 miles away in Nevada, MO local) Wal-Mart Supercenter. It's selling for $43 and change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks