What's new

International 55 DAYS AT PEKING (PRE_ORDER) (1 Viewer)

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Like everyone else, I have nothing but praise for the UK 55 Days at Peking. Considering what a stunning restoration this release is, I find complaints about the cover art more than a little silly. After seeing the film for the first time since I was a teenager, I was surprised how well the film has stood up over the decades except for a decidedly mediocre score by Dimitri Tiomkin. I've long been a fan of his film music, so I was disappointed in his very '60s' sounding music. Highly recommended.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I agree about the cover, I keep my Blu's in a draw & on a shelf, so don't care about the cover (but it is a rotten cheap looking cover, I mean was someone actually paid to design it?). I can't agree about Dimitri Tiomkin's great score, his typical mix of quiet & bombast with some great tunes, the kind of score you just don't get anymore. I have the two-CD original score.

I wonder if the team that did this at Pinewood is working on anything else?

Gangolf

Agent
Real Name
Ronald
Is a 70mm negative Copy really better than a copy from the original technirama 35mm horizontal negative?
I'm not sure.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think this is going on.

The best materials for the Bronston films are a set of 70mm negatives used for preparing European release prints. These were not the OCN's. 55 Days at Peking was indeed filmed in "Super Technirama 70", which means an 8-perf 35mm negative with anamorphic squeeze.

For many years these films were believed lost in their original formats and lengths until these 70mm negatives were found.

"Super Technirama 70", which means an 8-perf 35mm negative with anamorphic squeeze.

AFAIN:

All Technirama negatives are 8 perfs horizontal 35mm with a 1.5 anamorphic squeeze.

Super Technirama 70 refers to a 70mm print.
technirama-55daysatpeking.jpg

Just Technirama would imply a 35mm print.
technirama-world_by_night.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I just received my copy from Amazon UK. The picture and sound are terrific.

I am happy to report that it plays on Region One Panasonic Blu-ray players using the Stop-Stop-Top Menu workaround. It may also work on Pioneer and LG Blu-ray players. Here is how:

Load the disc as usual. When it boots up you generally see a message that says it won't play in your region. Then, using your remote, hit the stop button twice and then hit the Top Menu button. If it works the film's main menu will come up and you can proceed from there.

This does not work on all Region B Blu-rays, however. You can read the HTF thread on it here:

Is your region A blu-ray player really all region?

Spili

Agent
Real Name
Marco
I can say without reservation the Japanese BD release is the best in the world at this current juncture, as all the other European BDs are littered with banding / artifacting due to anemic / poorly optimized encodes. (Yes - even the French BD which has a hellaciously low bitrate.) The JP BD is encoded to perfection in all instances (as per usual coming from them) and features the same Pinewood restoration, with overture, intermission, and exit music intact. The 5.1 sound is also a real treat.

Most of you probably won't care, I'm just posting my musings.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
As long as someone felt it necessary to bump, someone should mention that the great Peking poster is by the wonderful artist, Howard Terpning - he did many classic movie posters, including The Sound of Music.

Spili

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Terpning is good, but I'm a Robert McGinnis guy myself. Both are still alive to my knowledge and just as sharp as they were in their wonder years.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I can say without reservation the Japanese BD release is the best in the world at this current juncture, as all the other European BDs are littered with banding / artifacting due to anemic / poorly optimized encodes. (Yes - even the French BD which has a hellaciously low bitrate.) The JP BD is encoded to perfection in all instances (as per usual coming from them) and features the same Pinewood restoration, with overture, intermission, and exit music intact. The 5.1 sound is also a real treat.

Most of you probably won't care, I'm just posting my musings.

thanks for the info

i see NBCUniversal has released it in Japan

they also released Ron Howard’s Apollo 13 UHD . Now I’m wondering if they’ve righted the wrongs of the US release of Apollo 13 :mellow:

Last edited:

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I just received my copy from Amazon UK. The picture and sound are terrific.

I am happy to report that it plays on Region One Panasonic Blu-ray players using the Stop-Stop-Top Menu workaround. It may also work on Pioneer and LG Blu-ray players. Here is how:

Load the disc as usual. When it boots up you generally see a message that says it won't play in your region. Then, using your remote, hit the stop button twice and then hit the Top Menu button. If it works the film's main menu will come up and you can proceed from there.

This does not work on all Region B Blu-rays, however. You can read the HTF thread on it here:

Is your region A blu-ray player really all region?
I am sure the picture and sound are excellent as this has been reported many times . What nobody mentions is that all BD and DVD releases of this film have NO English sub-titles . So people like myself and certainly many others are simply unable to watch .

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the UK Blu-ray and thought it looked good to me but if there is a better looking version out there i might get it. The only place that i know that sells the Japanese release is Ebay around $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks