What's new

International 55 Days At Peking / Circus World U.K. Release April 7 (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed my UK release of Circus World very much. I don't have time to watch bonus material, so I'm very happy with the Anchor Bay release. Next up is 55 Days at Peking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finished watching 55 Days at Peking and I'm glad I bought the UK release over the more expensive French disc. I thought the video and audio presentations were superb and I thoroughly enjoyed my BD viewing experience.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert Crawford said:
I finished watching 55 Days at Peking and I'm glad I bought the UK release over the more expensive French disc. I thought the video and audio presentations were superb and I thoroughly enjoyed my BD viewing experience.
I agree with Robert completely.
It's a real top notch transfer and so much cheaper than the French disc.

Pinewood have achieved wonders by going back to the original 8 perf Super Technirama 70mm camera negatives.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert Crawford said:
Picture and sound is indeed splendid (both on the UK and French version). I never had the chance to see the film theatrically, despite seeing so many 70mm roadshow attractions, so seeing this Blu-ray was like seeing the film properly for the first time after viewing so many poor TV, VHS and DVD presentations over the years.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Doug Bull said:
Pinewood have achieved wonders by going back to the original 8 perf Super Technirama 70mm camera negatives.
No wonders but something that we also could have gotten for other movies from 8-perf negatives like El Cid, One Eyed Jacks or John Paul Jones and look what we got instead...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
No wonders but something that we also could have gotten for other movies from 8-perf negatives like El Cid, One Eyed Jacks or John Paul Jones and look what we got instead...
Perhaps some lessons learned from those prior releases.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Perhaps some lessons learned from those prior releases.
I hope that some will finally learn their lessons, looking at the recent releases of Funny Face and El Dorado Paramount still hasn't.But that is for another thread and I am glad you liked 55 Days - It is a really good disc and shows what can be done on a budget with two movies that are not exactly the top two classic titles of all times.And a big thanks to the guys at Pinewood as they did things right from the start!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Crawford said:
I enjoyed my UK release of Circus World very much. I don't have time to watch bonus material, so I'm very happy with the Anchor Bay release. Next up is 55 Days at Peking.
Is the UK release of Circus World 134 or 144 minutes? How is the 5.1 sound?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RolandL said:
Is the UK release of Circus World 134 or 144 minutes? How is the 5.1 sound?
It's 143 minutes plus. It's been almost four months since I viewed it, but I don't recollect the 5.1 sound being an issue.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
55 DAYS AT PEKING has just been released again in the UK, this time on the Screenbound label. An opening caption confirms it is from the 2013 Pinewood restoration and it contains the Overture. It does not, however, contain the Intermission and Entr'acte or Exit Music. It has only 10 chapters.

Am I surprised? No, because Screenbound are one of the worst labels. They invariably provide the most basic of releases so I suppose they don't understand why anyone would be interested in wanting the original roadshow presentation (assuming they know what that is). It's tragic that the rights to Samuel Bronston's epic productions are consistently obtained by labels that seem to care nothing for the films or how they should be presented..

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Would anyone know if Circus World was ever released on BD in region 0? I know it’s never been released in region 1

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Would anyone know if Circus World was ever released on BD in region 0? I know it’s never been released in region 1
There is only region A, B and C and discs that play in all regions should have all three regions on the case.

It is highly doubtful with the rights situation being as it is that you will be able to find an ABC release but you still should be able to find a number of European region B releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks