What's new

International 55 Days At Peking / Circus World U.K. Release April 7 (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I was referring to 55 Days at Peking regarding the Overture. I have the Blu of Circus World...just a very brief "circus music" to black screen and then the film begins.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Greatly look forward to both of these pictures in bluray -- was watching "The Untold History of the United States" series on bluray and scenes from "55 Days" were used, most likely a print dating back to the laserdisc era -- looked terrible -- so the bluray upgrade of both of these movies should be terrific.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ken Koc said:
I was referring to 55 Days at Peking regarding the Overture. I have the Blu of Circus World...just a very brief "circus music" to black screen and then the film begins.
I agree with you on the 55 Days overture. It is rousing and exciting. The Circus World Overture is haunting.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
OliverK said:
The French disc is out - no subtitles, 5.1 lossless sound and visually it looks to be as good as Circus World if not better:http://www.dvdclassik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=35330 And compared to the UK Blu-ray that has one of the ugliest covers of all times it uses the original poster art so that is another big plus imo.
Do the extras all have English dialogue or English subtitles? Regardless I'll wait to see what extras are on the UK versions.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
I assume the U.K. and the French disc use the same transfer?
Apparently they're the same, both come from a 2K scan transfer done at Pinewood, according to someone over at Blu-ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
I assume the U.K. and the French disc use the same transfer?
They do, both come directly from the HDcam SR produced at Pinewood, in theory like the German and the UK version of El Cid there could be slight differences but looking at the caps of the French disc I could only see them fine tune a bit and possibly use a slightly higher bitrate.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Douglas R said:
Do the extras all have English dialogue or English subtitles? Regardless I'll wait to see what extras are on the UK versions.
I will let you know, should have my disc in a day or two.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
OliverK said:
They do, both come directly from the HDcam SR produced at Pinewood, in theory like the German and the UK version of El Cid there could be slight differences but looking at the caps of the French disc I could only see them fine tune a bit and possibly use a slightly higher bitrate.
Ah, the Sony HDcam SR. I was using that about five years ago, I just about got the hang of setting the menu (which I found a bit complicated), & then never used it again. I was told at the time that it would be the last ever tape format, & they were right.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
OliverK said:
I will let you know, should have my disc in a day or two.
I'm of to Paris, London and Berlin on Sunday and so am in a bit of a quandary as to whether to wait for the UK releases or pick up the French ones.
Any advice Oliver will be greatly appreciated.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
OliverK said:
Please point me to the source for this information. And a 2K scan of what exactly? And by source I don't mean some poster at a forum.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just put on my French Blu Ray of 55 Days at Peking. Great News all around!

1. It is All Region A B C

2. The running time is 2 hrs 42 minutes ( Overture is there too!)

3.It has been restored from the original 8 perf Super-Technirama 70 camera negative by Pinewood.

4. Subtitles are removable

5. 5.1 sound

6. It looks SPECTACULAR!

If only EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE looked like this!!!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Ken Koc said:

3.It has been restored from the original 8 perf Super-Technirama 70 camera negative by Pinewood.

5. 5.1 sound

6. It looks SPECTACULAR!

Extras, Ken?

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Ken Koc said:

5. 5.1 sound

6. It looks SPECTACULAR!

I'm ordering it immediately after I finish this posting.

Doug.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Please point me to the source for this information. And a 2K scan of what exactly? And by source I don't mean some poster at a forum.
I have been in contact with Pinewood about 55 Days, they had the opportunity to work with the OCN.What is it with that "some poster on a forum" comment? I cannot remember to have made such a post/remark?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
OliverK said:
I have been in contact with Pinewood about 55 Days, they had the opportunity to work with the OCN.What is it with that "some poster on a forum" comment? I cannot remember to have made such a post/remark?
No, it wasn't about you - someone else posted that they'd read it on a forum, which isn't good enough for me. Nice to have confirmation that they worked with the original camera negative.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I heard/read (I think on this forum) that the BFI has a full uncut roadshow print of "The Fall of the Roman Empire"...is that true?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
No, it wasn't about you - someone else posted that they'd read it on a forum, which isn't good enough for me. Nice to have confirmation that they worked with the original camera negative.
Ah, OK. Yes they were able to use it and it was in such a shape that one could not really talk of a restoration as there was not much to restore in the first place.This gives me hope for the other two Bronstons that have gotten such bad Blu-rays as there is a good chance that their negatives are all stored and taken care of together: El Cid, 55 Days, FOTR and Circus World.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks