What's new

505 watt rms speaker system, hmmm - advice please (1 Viewer)

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so given that i work at CC, I get discounts and such, but a system that caught my eye was the Logitech Z680 system.

It's a computer speaker system but here are the specs that count.
505 watts rms (meaning peak power is 1000 watts from specs)
It gives out about 62 watts rms to each channel, and 69 watts to the center channel.

The subwoofer is a dual chamber, 188 watt rms 8" driver.

The system itself is self amplified with optical inputs, digital input, computer inputs (which is a big plus because I can gain 5.1 surround through my pc without the need of an adapter) And it also has an adapter that allows you to connect it to a video game console system. The remote type console has a built in Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 encoder, with headphone jack and adjustable settings (bass, treble, fade and balance).

I know it doesn't have the multiple uses as a real receiver has but the thing is, I don't listen to the radio, and I play mp3's through my computer, which counts for music, and I also play DVD's through my computer, via a DVD program that is also region free.

It's 399.99 retail, 299.99 for customers at circuit city, and it's 199.99 for me.

The real question is, is this system worth it?

The other thing is, the speakers have connections on the back so if I wanted I could swap out the speakers and replace them with something else.

1) Would 62 watts rms be enough to drive a floor standing tower like the Polk Rti70's? Would 69 watts rms be enough to drive a bigger center channel speaker?

Mike<>

Auditioning
ignore any specs related to watts.

CCs website has a similar onkyo system on sale for $150. i'd probably save the $50 and go with that.

don't upgrade your speakers unless you are going to do all 5. your best upgrade from that system would be to a receiver.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mando, Basics is for asking about basic home-theater terminology and technoloy, not brand-specific recommendations. That's why I moved your thread here.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
My recommendation is buy a good system for your computer as most of us most likely spend an hour plus in front of it (that's why my best overall quality system is on my computer). If this will be a "near field" or small room experience then by all means buy a system that sounds great to you.

If in the future you think you want to build up from the above into a larger room, forget any of the integrated packages and buy a good AVR (suggestion, with all channel pre-outs for greater flexibility) and separtately good set of speakers (5 small speakers plus sub for now, and towers later for 7.1).

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I've heard this thing for a few minutes and for it's price it ROCKS!!

Although it may not be able to fill a 20' by 30' room it should sound pretty solid and it does what you need.

I'd say go and try it for a few days if it doesn't impress you try the Onkyo.

B

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but how many receivers out there put out 505 watts rms? Reviewers have confirmed that the wattage is correct and the subwoofer puts out 188 watts rms which is more than most subs I've seen out there that cost about 250-300 dollars by themselves.

I'm thinking in terms of budget. The other budget system I was considering was:
Panasonic SAHE70K $130
And then I have to get a speaker set, which already caps my budget. The cheapest speaker set I can get in terms of pricing is the Onkyo SKSHT510 (6.1 with 150 watt powered 8" subwoofer), but those speakers aren't electromagnetically shielded, and I'll have a sixth speaker which is useless because I had to save money on the receiver.

The other choice is to piece things together and have a home theater system worth mentioning, when all the stuff I have is already outdated. lol.

For example, Circuit City was doing closeouts with polk systems, basically giving speakers away at store cost with package prices, and just yesterday I unloaded the truck, and Circuit City got in Polk CSI center channels and RSI bookshelf speakers. If I would've bought the Polk 170's, they would've been outdated by the RTI10's that I pulled off the truck.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
CCs website has a similar onkyo system on sale for $150. i'd probably save the $50 and go with that.

I checked the website, and that $150 dollar system you pointed out, has these specs and no receiver.
Front = 20 watts total, 10 watts to left, 10 watts to right
Center = 10 watts
Surround = 20 watts total, 10 watts to left, 10 watts to right
Subwoofer = 25 watts powered.

My Logitech Z640 system puts out more power than that, and it cost me 48 dollars, and I don't need a receiver for it.

Come on guys, give a broke brotha some advice...

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
Go listen to it! Best buy or CompUSA have speaker displays ect ect that may have that system! While I will never buy a computer system, they usually do well in small rooms and please many people. Check reviews online as well!

My impression on most of the systems ive heard is they all use very small speakers for surrounds and a small sized sub crossed over way too high to be called a sub. Basically its 4 tweeters and a midbass driver in a ported enclosure to give it a little bump. There are always exceptions, so go give it a listen and decide for youself!

keir

Stunt Coordinator
logitech computer speakers are not bad for a multimedia speaker system. compared to actual seperate bookshelf speaker with an amplifier, they aren't so great. but for $199 i think its a pretty good deal.

the amp probably isnt nearly as powerful as they say. i doubt that the specs are complete. if you leave out any one part of the spec, its kind of meaningless. for instance, a complete amplifier spec would say "100 watts per channel into 8 ohms simultaneously, 20Hz-20kHz, .08% THD."

without the distortion limit and frequency response and impedance load tested and how many channels are run at once, you can say a really cheap amplifier is 500 watts (like the 500 watt sony or jvc receiver advertised for $200 at best buy) when actually its realistic limit is closer to 200 watts RMS continuous real power.

regardless of all this, the amplifier can probably work pretty decently with bigger speakers. i have paradigm atom bookshelf speakers (~87 dB sensitivity) hooked up to the same type of amp (the subwoofer that came with my klipsch promedia 4.1 computer speakers has some BASH class d amps built in just like the logitech unit) and the sound is very good. it probably won't drive them to really high levels, but sitting 2 feet away from the speaker in front of the computer means you dont need really high levels. the truth is that usually you will use less than 1 watt of power. only loud peaks in material require the 100 watt power reserve that may or may not be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks