What's new

500 Days of Summer--romantic comedy with Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The synopsis reminds me of Eternal Sunshine. Since it has Zooey D. I will go see.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see Zooey Deschanel, my favorite working silver screen actress, making good movies again. After "Tin Man" and The Happening, I was beginning to get nervous.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Looks interesting. Have to say the teaser felt a little odd.

Like many, I like Zooey, but I am also glad to see Levitt getting what could be higher profile work, he is a really good actor.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I saw this, this week at the Nashville Film Festival. It is an excellent, fresh, creative spin on a "romantic comedy". The audience loved it. Best of all, it is flat out hilarious. It is an intellegent story about relationships. The comedy comes from the characters & real life, and not from gross out 6th-grade bathroom humor that seems to in many comedies these days.

The director was in attendance and said it goes nationwide in the summer. Encourage everyone to see it. Levitt and Deschanel are perfect together.

Music selection is awesome. The director makes great use of his music video directing experience. I won't give away anything, but there is a real music related surprise halfway through which left everyone with smiles on their faces.

I knew nothing about this movie before seeing it. It made it so much better. Sometimes previews, reviews & even internet forums end up ruining a fresh experience.

Go see this one. It will be a hit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With the slow roll-out, I ended up driving into the city to see "(500) Days of Summer", and it ended up being a worthwhile trip. The film takes a time-fractured look into the relationship between Tom (Joseph Gordon-Leavitt) and Summer (Zooey Deschanel). While the film isn't bust-out LOL funny, it manages to balance out a gamut of humorous, warm, sweet, melancholy, yadda yadda scenes, and the viewer is treated to many different emotional touchstones in this relationship as the story bounces around their timeline, but it still makes sense with a fine sense of narrative pacing. Overall, it's just a nice, solid film about 2 people and the journey of their relationship. The film featured very good performances and chemistry between Gordon-Leavitt and Deschanel.

If you're in the mood for such a film, it's worth checking out.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I saw this last night after seeing so much praise for it. I was pleasantly surprised. It has a very feel-good nature to it, the writing is crisp and fun and it is easily the best date movie so far this summer, outside of "Up!" if you're a married couple.
My wife & I enjoyed the hell out of it, and the soundtrack is very good.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to checking this out. I think it'll hit a theater in my area next Friday (then after a week, it'll be swept away so they can have a 5 screens for GI Joe) and it's definitely coming to the area art theater so I'll catch it soon.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At my AMC theater, they have this really cool 8-9 foot tall display for this movie, and it's basically the movie poster blown up and comes with some 3D-ness standees for the Tom character in the bottom left corner. I'd love to have this display but I have nowhere to keep it in my house.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just got back from a screening. This is a smart, funny and moving romantic comedy. What an antidote to the formulaic dreck that usually defines the genre. To me, it played like a 21st Century Annie Hall, which is a high complement from this Woody Allen fan. The film played very well with the audience I saw it with. In fact, I sense this may very well be this year's breakout indy hit, a la Juno or Little Miss Sunshine. If that holds, expect it to grab one of the 10 Best Picture slots at next year's Oscars (it will certainly end up in my Top Ten).

I also think this may be the breakout pic for both leads. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are perfectly cast. They have great chemistry, and make their characters both sympathetic & believable.

There's elements that felt like they were directly from my (and probably most of the audience's) life.
I agree. I know I certainly have had my 500 days...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Wonderful movie with some really fun dialogue. Very charming. Great music too.
I went back last night to see it again with more friends.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Watched it on DVD last night and was unimpressed. I won't say it was a bad movie, but I don't see why people are so excited about it.

I think it may be because the scenes were in random order for no apparent reason. I don't mind flashbacks or bookends, but telling a story in random order rarely makes sense. If you sat down to tell about a relationship you had, you wouldn't tell it in random order, would you?

It would have been nice if the DVD had some extras that explained why the story was so random.

I did like the scene with the Hall & Oates song, as well as the one with the split screen, and the very last scene.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought it was overly cutesy and twee and self-satisfied, sort of like Pushing Daisies.

This was a comedy? I don't remember laughing at anything.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Anyone who doesn't laugh at

Him seeing himself as Han Solo in the reflection
is off their rocker, IMO.

To me it's the best film I've seen in 2009, and the Expectations/Reality scene is the most finely crafted scene of the year.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I actually don't even remember that scene. I only really remember that extended musical number with the cartoon birds (only because it was cute at first and then it went on way too long) and the last scene, only because I was waiting and waiting for Minka Kelly to appear.

I think there was a karaoke scene?

I swear I sat through the whole thing.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't think the random time jumping helped with my being able to recall scenes from the film.

Even with your description I can almost picture the scene (although I may simply be thinking of other movie scenes that used the same trope), but I do not remember any of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks