What's new

50"-60" CRT RPTV w/ 720p @ ~$2000. Is it really that hard? (1 Viewer)

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all.

I am moving soon. With a move...comes the ability to get a new TV set. My home theater has been ...well, it has favored the audio. I have been using a Philips Magnavox 27" w/ S-video for my home theater visual component for about 6 years now. I would like to upgrade.

I want to do RPTV because it is affordable and doesn't have things that bother me like plasma, lcd and dlp. (No insults to those of you who use those - they just aren't my cup of tea). This works better for cost reasons.

Now my question - why have all the TVs I have seen not advertised 720p? I have seen many a writeup for Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony, etc CRT-based RPTVs and they usually just throw the 1080i number out there & might mention a native 540p option. Is this just not something I am going to see for this style of television? Have I just looked in the wrong places?

All I want is a darn good-looking RPTV between 50-60 inches that does 720p, is a good name brand, and costs around $2000. Model numbers? Suggestions? Help?

Thanks.

RichP

Second Unit
Here's a question for you...

Why do you assume that 720p is somehow "better" than 1080i?

There are no CRT-based RPTVs that offer 720p as a native option because the scanning rate required is too fast for the guns to handle. 540p is the fastest that the guns can travel, which of course means that 1080i is doable because that's 540 interlaced lines every 60th of a second.

The other technologies can do 720p because they are fixed pixel displays and do not rely on an electron gun to draw the picture.

Incidentally, I have a Toshiba 65" RPTV and 720p is converted to 1080i and looks spectacular.

matt-f

Second Unit
This here seems interesting.

Well in theory, 720P is better than 1080I. In terms of creating a full frame (resolution reguardless), progressive creates them in 1/60th sec. for 60 fps while interlace creates them in 1/30th for 30 fps. Interlace can produce flickers and artifacts.

My Hitachi CRT RPTV upscales to 540p/1080i but and I use 540p. At one time I did used 1080i but then decided to change over.

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Interlaced was antiquated from the day it was created. I am definitely a progressive dude, myself. :)

Thanks guys.

RichP - Which model Toshiba TV do you have?

matt-f - Which model Hitachi TV do you have?

Haha. Those are both brands that I am considering & Hitachi has recently gone up on my list in terms of popularity. I have family with a Toshiba, and I like it quite a bit myself.

matt-f

Second Unit
Hi Chris:

The TV I have is the Hitachi 57TWX20B which has discontinued two years ago. The set which replaces it is the 57X500.

matt

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Basic as my comment is, I noticed that the component section of my Sony 51" (KPSW520) is labeled 480p/720p/1080i. Just from reading that leads me to believe that it accepts and pass the 720p signal with out converting it to 540p for 1080i.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Rich P

The very first HD RPTV was a Panasonic. I travelled to see the first demo of HD about 5 years or so ago. That set did 720P and was, again, a CRT RPTV. I am no engineer, but I believe that 720P CRT RPTV is absolutely possible but maybe a bit more expensive to make. Now that ABC is broadcasting in 720P, it would be exciting if 720p CRT RPTVs would become more available. I don't think it is going to happen because: 1) Most people are happy with 1080i, and 2) microdisplays, LCD, DLP, and Plasma are going to get the lion's share of sales in the next couple of years.

Artie

matt-f

Second Unit
Jerome,

Reading the component's input section doesn't imply the TV's output. To find this out, you might want to check the manual and look else where which mentions about it. I know another Sony owner who has a LCD RPTV who didn't know his output resolution because the manual never mentioned it but I found it on a website.

As my for my Hitachi, they explicitly list the output on their spec.

matt

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh yes - that is what had me saying "Hmmmm" when I looked into it in depth a few days ago. I noticed that the PDF files (for the Hitachi models I was viewing) mentioned 540p/1080i native modes and then had a seperate section for compatible video inputs (which mentioned 720p).

Jerome Grate - And as long as the TV plays Transformers the movie then all is well, right?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The current Sony WS-520 series sets will accept 720p but convert it to 1080i. Previous Sony crt based rptvs also accepted 720p but downconverted it to 480p.

Only an issue for X-Box enthusiasts as all High Def receivers are capable of converting incoming 720p to 1080i on their own and do it very nicely.

Those first generation Pannys with native 720p capability also had a list price of over $5k for a 56" set.

Sony is one of the few remaining crt sets that will display incoming 480p natively.

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. Well I have an X-box & would like to get it to look as best I can.

So what do you guys think? I mean is sticking with the current traditional 540p/1080i just fine? Or in other words - how much more do you have to pay to get a say...57" set that does 720p as compared to one that does not?

matt-f

Second Unit
Chris,

I'm not sure about the price because this TV is only carried in specialty stores - that's about 50 stores in US which makes it hard to find.

The best thing to do it call or phone Hitachi and ask them where is the closet dealer which carries the X500. The answer maybe from a different state which you may end up doing to obtain their top set.

I gotten a quote for the 57X500 for $2999 from the neareset state which carries it.

matt

matt-f

Second Unit
The Hitachi X500 will beat the Hitachi 2004 line since it's got the latest technology on it. My own TWX set from 2002 beats them too. My set is the previous generation of the X500 which makes them both like the top of the crop (includes the XWX as well).

Seth_L

Screenwriter

Exactly! I'm sure there's no improvement that could have been made to CRT guns, optics, packaging, or processing in the last 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks