What's new

5 Steely Dan SACDs on 6/22 (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Until recently, the band itself reported that the multis were missing for a couple of songs on Aja. I see four possibilities:

1) They found the multis.
2) The disc will be stereo-only.
3) Those cuts will be stereo-only.
4) Those cuts will be fake-surround to one degree or another.

I like Dan in surround, I hope they found the multis. I'll buy regardless.

I'll probably get Aja in June due to impatience, and wait for DVD-A for the rest. I'm still wary of Crest/Universal hybrids.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Lee, John, Jesper. I agree with David. Can't you all just give it a break with your endless SACD/DVD-A banter? Am I the only one here on this forum who is totally sick of this endless (and POINTLESS) debate? The masses and manufacturers will decide if either format survives and until then endless debates about sales numbers and projections are just worthless wastes of time.

Can't we just discuss current and future releases and their merits(or lament the lack thereof) without it transpiring like it always does into a format war? It's almost like a sign of immaturity how often this debate comes up and how no resolution is ever reached.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

It's not a bad album at all. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number"(classic) and "Any Major Dude Will Tell You"(great song) are the main reasons why I like it followed by the title track, the short "Through With Buzz" and "Night by Night". It's a funkier Dan album than the others but it still works.

george king

Supporting Actor
I am a huge Steely Dan fan, and have memories of college listening to the Dan and being entranced.

I may be the odd man here, but I like Katy Lied better than Aja.

Oh well, to each his own.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Another big Steely Dan fan. I like the whole catalog start to finish. Don't know if I can say that about too many other artists, if any. Will have to wait for the DVD-A's unless I get my act together and get a uni player. Maybe these releases will be the kick in the $%*& that I've needed! Gene

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I hope their first album makes it! I like it. I like the way the song's styles are quite varied as they were searching for a sound or an audience, seemingly? I once heard a bootleg that was supposedly from the 1st album sessions called DALLAS. It had a very kuntry rock flavour...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

That post does not say that the missing multis were found. It says the Universal rep did not answer that specific question.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I can definitely recommend the Aja version on MFSL if you need a fix before the SACD.

Evan, I have tried on a number of occasions to do that but it is difficult with the partisanship here, particularly on a thread where the release dates for each format are so far apart since this causes frustration for some.

I definitely could not resist highlighting Jesper's ridiculous statement against Sony in post #12. That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while...

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

I think you might not be as much of the voice of dissent as you think. I for one love both albums and I'd have a hard time picking which one I like better, but I can totally see how you might like Katy Lied better. Doctor Wu is worth the price of admission alone.
As for Can't Buy A Thrill (some of you guys are butchering the title a bit ;) ) I love it as well. It's a very different Steely Dan on many of the tracks musically (Dirty Work, Reeling in the Years, Change of the Guard, Only a Fool..., Brookyln..., etc) but some of the songs really give you a hint of what Steely Dan will become (Kings and Midnight Cruiser specifically).
Either way this is hugely good news for me. I'm quite pumped.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I think I prefer that one to Aja as well. But if I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with "Countdown to Ecstasy." I don't know if I'll get this, or any other SACD, though since I have the remastered CDs of their first 2 albums and have just about all of them on vinyl. I think I'll wait to read some reviews first.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Marvin,
I agree Countdow to Ecstasy is amazing. King of the World is probably one of the most underappreciated Steely Dan songs. My friend got me hooked on this song.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
To me Aja will always be the perfect Dan album. Royal Scam is second, Katy Lied, Gaucho, Countdown, Pretzel followed by Can't Buy a Thrill. Oops oh yes and then 2 Against Nature and Everything Must Go!

Years ago I made it a point to get all the Dan CD's and I'm glad I did. I don't know if I'll ever catch onto the SACD or DVD-A craze but if I do I'd get plenty of Steely Dan.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jesper, as poorly as both hi-rez formats are doing, your statement is in right field. If you'd said the reverse and hailed SACD it would of stille been a totally disputable, crazy statement.

As much as we (A/V Krazies) all want to see day and date releases of hi-rez music, which would give either or both formats a better chance in the marketplace, even that might not make either format fly?

We're sitting here discussing re-releases of relatively ancient music to these formats. None of these labels WANT to price SACD or DVD-A low enough to compete with CD IMO. I don't think either camp really wants to displace CD unless they can get more $$$ per unit over CD.

Put your comment in the context of where I'm coming from. Universal doesn't expect to sell all that many units of Steely Dan on hi-rez. However, they'll revive a sagging franchise and net more than CD's would.

As much as you and I like hi-rez, for now it's a tiny market niche that "they" wish they could expand. So far they can't figur out how to expand it much and maintain above CD prices. That's how I see it anyway. Best wishes!:)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Jasper, Rachael is right, Once I got my universal player there is no "other side" only Hi Rez and in my case a 5:1 mix. There are artist I like that will only appear on SACD and I wasn't going to deny my self the pleasure. I don't like DVD-A being treated like the "ugly sister"(MCA "six month" difference on release dates) and I don't like buying discs twice but Steely Dan is my 2nd fav. group and I will double dip. One format will most likely go the way of the dodo bird and I want to make sure I have the bases covered. I have a feeling U2 will have the same fate as Steely Dan so once again another double dip. I might be the person that saves both formats with my empty wallet :). So for me if they released both formats the same day I would most likely pick the DVD-A version first(extras,lyrics...) unless I read about some major difference in the two. Because in the end it all sounds good...real good most times :emoji_thumbsup:

Very glad to hear they screwed up the PR and "Can't Buy... is on the list. I hope they throw on extra tracks on each disc. "Dallas" was a b-side and there are songs that were released on the CD "Gold" that were not on the Studio albums like FM, Here at the Western World...
Great Steely Dan Data Base

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Dallas (the A-side) b/w Sail The Waterway was Steely Dan's 1st 45, before Do It Again. I have it on a UK 12" EP that came out on Probe in around 1978 or so. I love both tracks, but The Dan HATES them , and have refused to put them on the box set or anywhere else. :frowning:

I will get the new releases when they come out on DVD-A, and I hope they use the quad mixes, which are mixed very much like the current surround releases (BG vocals & horns in back).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Larry, I heard Dallas on a double record various artists bootleg set from Amazing Corneyphone that a friend had. Amazing Corneyphone was a bootleg label that this friend had several records from. I vaguely remember reading the linear notes. They said they searched the trash outside recording studios and recorded at concerts. As best as I can remember about half the album was studio stuff they'd snagged. I used to have a tape of Dallas but lost it somewhere along the way. I'd love to hear it again. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks