What's new

5/15/07 The Fountain HD DVD Combo & Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Wow, talk about a step backwards in the audio department. Just when it looked like WB got their act together by offering lossless sounds on both formats, we get something like this. I'm still buying it though.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The 640k isn't a deal breaker, assuming I can find it for around $20. Having said that, my feeling is if you are gonna do next-gen releases, next-gen audio should be a no-brainer (or even a 1.5 Mbps Dolby track).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My daughter works at Best Buy, so I get most BD releases for around $20...which means this one is a buy for me :) Yes, I would like to see most movies with a 1.5K track also, but hey, you can't have everything all the time.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

1.5 track at bare minimum, but preferably one of the uncompressed/lossless formats (PCM, DTS-HDMA, or Dolby TrueHD).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Comparing the 640 kbps DD on other BD titles to Lossless PCM, it's undeniable than even 640 kbps DD isn't good enough for my ears.

I want lossless.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No lossless audio, I'm out. Why do a hi-def release half-assed? First their lame combo's now crappy audio. If this keeps up I'm about done buying anything Warner.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Well, it's been revised. Still would have preferred the more elegant poster art...but waaaay better than what was first released:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll rent it. The reviews for the film are very mixed. Plus the lack of a lossless track means It's less likely I'll purchase it. If I do it'll be on BR. If the HD had lossless then I'd lean towards that.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
A rental is wise, vs. a blind buy. This film is divisive, and most mainstream critics disparaged it.

Those critics' critical faculties have withered, IMO. Whether from disuse or overuse, I'm not sure. But this type of demanding, intensely personal film is made all too seldom these days. It's as serious in intent as it is formally daring - it has probably the first plot I've ever seen that can be described as fractal. Each moment, each image, each dramatic situation reflects the whole.

A no-brainer purchase for me, even if the audio is likely to leave something to be desired.

--Jefferson Morris

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The updated cover art, while still not very representative of the film, is leagues better than the original drek.

This is a film I *KNOW* will be rereleased in a few years time on HD. So this will be a LONG rental. That's fine by me.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Not too happy about lossy audio, but my favorite film of 2006 (just ahead of Children of Men) and an absolute no brainer buy for me.

Thank god the cover art was updated to something acceptable, that first draft used colors that weren't even in the freaking film.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Suit yourself. As I said, I think it's a great film, but it's not one that appeals to all tastes, hence my recommendation of a rental. I'd give the same advice to anyone who had never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I consider the greatest film of all time. Just trying to help people be frugal.

--Jefferson Morris

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Most of us have probably already pre-ordered this but I canceled my order recently with amazon and went this route:

DVD Pacific has the HD DVD for only $21.40 shipped! They are a 4 Star rated vendor as well. Even with amazon's xtra 10% off, I still save $4. Makes it even better since this is a blind purchase. :)

The Fountain HD DVD

:)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I just bought this on BD today, 11 days before the street date. I really hope it's good! :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I pre-ordered the BD through Warner when they had all the stackable coupon codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks