What's new

5.1 vs 6.1, is it really a big deal? (1 Viewer)

Jacqueline C

Agent
I did use the search program to see what people have said before but didn't find anything. This will be my first HT and I don't know of any stores that have HT set up in any useful way. (My CC actually has no 6.1 's set up at all and the speakers for 5.1's are just stacked together. UGH)
Anybody care to justify going with one over the other?

Also if anybody knows of better places to audition equipment in or near the Bronx I'm all ears.

Thanks

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There's no simple answer to the question, partly because it's a matter of individual perceptions and partly because there's so much confusion about formats other than plain 5.1. Here are some of the threads where the issue has come up. They may not answer the question for you, but they'll give you a sense of the issues.

I assume, BTW, that you've already read the relevant sections of the Beginner's Primer and FAQ? If not, you should do so. Use the link in my signature (below).

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=6.1

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BTW, my own personal answer: If I were forced to make a choice between superior amplification, better processing power and better quality digital-to-analog converters over a couple of extra channels, I'd take the former every time. As it happens, I didn't have to make that choice, because I went with a Lexicon processor. :)

M.

BobAZ

Stunt Coordinator
More and more releases are getting the 6.1 treatment. It's just one more channel, matrix or discrete, that fills out the soundstage even more. If you are looking past the HTiB's and going for an A/V Receiver or separates then get it.

I recently put together my first HT and I bought a 6.1 rcvr to future-proof my purchase. My current room does not accomodate the rear spkrs, but when I get the space I don't have to buy another reciever. I just have to buy more spkrs.

AaronJB

Second Unit
Personally, I upgraded to 6.1 a couple of months ago and absolutely love it.

There are several titles with DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix or Discrete, some of which really put the back surround to remarkable use (Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition, The Haunting).

It's also nice to have DTS' NEO-6 (processed 6.1 from stereo or 5.1 material) for some TV programming. Watching the Super Bowl in NEO-6 certainly was enjoyable, and it really does add to the enjoyment of most TV programming, video games and music.

Unless you do not have the space on the back wall, I would certainly recommend getting 6.1. In my listening space, it really gives a fuller and more seamless surround experience. Some may not feel as strongly, but I've personally been thrilled with it.

Bri~A

Agent
I don't know precisely what you are looking to spend here, but if you want to see a showroom that is well setup, and are willing to look into equipment slightly higher in the spectrum then Circuit City, I would have to tell you to go to Harvey Electronics. There is one located on 45th b/w 5th & 6th in Manhattan. I got my speakers there and have been happy with their service as I have put it to the test when a less than honest customer returned a broken KEF Q7 as though it was in usable condition and I got it. Their showrooms are well setup and salesman are extremely helpful. You could go to hear the difference b/w 5.1 & 6.1 if you want and then return to Cicuit City for purchasing. Good luck. Hope this has helped.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Did you mean former, rather than latter? It seems that you were saying you'd rather have better equipment than "a couple extra channels", then said you'd take the latter.

Tim

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Tim, thanks for the catch! That's what I get for composing a message while I'm on the phone.

M.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
No problem,

By the way, I'm also a Lexicon owner although it is just a lowly DC-1 I bought used. Very happy with my choice so far.

(I'm afraid to listen to an MC-12)

Tim

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Nothing "lowly" about a DC-1. It'll sound better than most of what's out there. I'm still with the MC-1, but I may be trading up later this year.

M.

Jacqueline C

Agent
Thanks Bri for the info. I'm sure it WOULD be helpful for me to actually get to listen to it so that I can make a better decision. I've been going back and forth about the format for some time now at first figuring to get something nice in 5.1 then thinking going entry level on 6.1, and reading a lot on what people think of the different brands. Still it would be nice to have some real comparison. Oddly none of my friends bother with home theater though some have some nice tv's. I just upgraded tv's in both size and in that it is HDTV ready, and wanted to upgrade the sound. (I'd also not bought audio equipment other than a cd player, since the 1980's so upgrading definately was in order. Must say that I'm amazed my old sterio reciever still works.)

BTW I have come across the term Lexicon on various threads but since the word is also a reference term and not just a brand name I haven't found any useful info with my serch engine. Is this a brand of audio equipment like Onkyo, Denan etc? If so do they have a website?

I did look through the primer and faq looking for info on formats and did read what was there esp the stereo vs 5.1/6.1 stuff and the what is "ex" "dts" stuff but there didn't seem to be much comparison of 5.1 vs 6.1.
The links you provided on 7.1 vs 6.1 open a whole new kettle of fish that I hadn't even considered although I think that my back wall would be kind of crowded if I even thought that way. For now I am in a smallish space and don't plan to move anytime soon. Even 6.1 poses some challenge but I'm willing to go for it if the sound is worth it.

BTW Aaron, what brands/models are your set up made up of?

Thanks again for those who contributed and any further input is appreciated.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, Lexicon is the name of a company and its line of equipment. The website, not surprisingly, is:

http://www.lexicon.com/

Harvey Electronics carries Lexicon, but I don't know whether they currently have one set up in any of their demo rooms.

Be warned that the cost of a new Lexicon processor is in the thousands of dollars.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks