What's new

5.1 Surround on my PC (1 Viewer)

Chad Krupa

Auditioning
Hi, I have a few questions to ask the gurus. I have a little 300-watt system I want to hook up to my PC, but the only catch is that it's a set meant for a home system, and thus doesn't have the 3.5 jacks to go into my 7.1 sound card. What things do I need to get this working? Will I need a reciever, or will my PC act as one? And, lastly, what adapters should I get and from where?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this isn't in the proper forum...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chad,

You’ll have to have a soundcard with an optical output, like Robert mentioned, or a receiver with direct 5.1 inputs (I don’t think anyone makes one for 7.1). Typically this means a receiver that accommodates SACD. If you have the latter you’ll need adapters that convert 3.5 mini plugs to RCA.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chad Krupa

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies so far guys... So will I need to get a reciever? I have spdif out and in on the motherboard. (At least thats what i think they are... Yellow says out and Red says in, or vice versa.) I'm sorry for asking because it's probably a dumb question, but what is optical output and SACD? Help is once again greatly appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My bad – SPDIF will work too. However, I’m not sure if connections from the motherboard are what you want. Perhaps you can find some help in our Computers and HTPC Area Forum.

SACD is a multi-channel audio format that requires analog inputs for each channel.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It might help if you mention the exact brand/model of the sound system, the 7.1 sound card, and the motherboard.

With S/PDIF, you will need a receiver to decode the digital data if necessary (if it's Dolby Digital or DTS) convert the digital audio to analog, and control the volume. Does the sound system have a receiver/controller? If you use the 7.1 outputs on the sound card, you may be able to hook up the sound system directly, since the PC has (several) volume controls.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
My pc is it's own home theater system.
I use the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card (supports up tp 7.1)
With tax return money, I bought a set of Logitech Z-5300e, 5.1 speakers. Once you get a software dvd player that supports 5.1/7.1, you're all set. I use WinCinema Pro software dvd player. It sounds awesome!

Now if I want to watch a movie, my wife doesn't want to see, I can watch it on the computer, in surround, while she watches tv, or a dvd in surround, in the living room. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks