What's new

5.1 speaker system for music lover??? (1 Viewer)

MuKick

Auditioning
Real Name
Mahan Kick
Looking to set up a 5.1 speaker system that sounds great for music (priority), but also has the capability to create a wide sound stage for movie watchers. Room is 14' deep x 28' wide. I have 3 children ages 4 and under, so anything on the floor (other than the sub) is out of the question. LCR speakers will sit on 10' wide mantle about 6' off the ground (angled down) and surrounds will be mounted near the ceiling. My AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR809 networked to my home computers. The other major factor is that I need to build a system for $1200 or less. Some of the options I have been considering (please feel free to add to my list): 1. Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 (think the 600 would be too small for the space) 2. Paradigm Cinema 110 (if I can find it - I like that this has 3 center speakers for the LCR) 3. Aperion Intimus (open box speakers puts this within budget - (2)4C for LR, (1)5C center, (2)4B satellites, & (1)8A sub) 4. Energy Veritas Mini 5.0 System (probably add a Klipsch sub) I have researched BIC, PSB, SVS, Emotiva, etc... but have not found anything that fits my criteria or readily available for purchase.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If music is your priority, I would not choose any of them. Those are geared for inexpensive home theater setup analgous to HTIB. Since you are on a limited budget, start a little slower. For bookshelf speakers for music, I was pleasantly surprised with Paradigm Studio 20. May want to start with a pair and a sub woofer and add later as budget allows. Also, speakers should be ideally setup where tweeter is at ear level to your listening location. Having speakers high towared the ceiling will not provide good imaging. Your choices indicate a priority for movies and will provide you ear fatigue after a short time of listening to music. My opinion of course.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was waiting for somebody else to chime in first. Those systems will not fill that room with sound. You need a minimum of a 6" woofer. Larger speakers tend to be more efficient as well. And not sure why floor standing won't work. Totem design all their speakers to be filled with sand so they can't be knocked over. The SVS Ultra I'm reviewing (granted $2000) there is no way for a small child to tip them.

MuKick

Auditioning
Real Name
Mahan Kick
Thanks Gary and schan1269 for taking the time to respond. Gary - I know my situation is absolutely not the idea environment for music, but my hope was that I would be able to angle all the speakers using universal mounts to help with the height issue. I understand this may create a very focused "sweet spot" within the room, so my other question was about bipole/dipole surrounds that may diffuse the sound and give a wider listing area. Obviously, I am reading a lot of reviews and probably complicating my decision. schan1269 - I do worry about towers being tipped over, but I worry even more about grills. Are the grills tough enough to keep fingers out (protect my investment) and not look like three kids have had their hands all over them (dents, scratches, and/or pulls). I just feel it is wise for me to avoid that headache. Because I am trying to achieve both music and movie listening capabilities, both are going to be compromised. Therefore, I have to ask either which HTIB is going to give me the best music reproduction, or what bookshelf speaker can I build a 5.1 system around?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The bookshelf speaker I recommended is part of the Studio series, which has a center as well. I find dipole great for movies, not so for music. Four studio 20s, a center and a sub woofer will do you well. I would mount them on a shelf on the wall closest to ear level (from listening position) as possible. However, I do recommend listening to them first if possible. I would also focus on speaker placement for music and not worry about movies. Movie sound will naturally follow. As for the kids, I would gate the media area if possible until they reach an age where they learn not to touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks