5.1 analog output on Blu-ray players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matthew Anderson, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in getting a Blu-ray or HD DVD player but I have a question on how to use my existing dvd universal player. I have Pioneer DV-45A and I still want to use my david Audio and SACD which is being output via 5.1 analog outputs going to my preamp. My preamp does not have HDMI inputs. What do I do to take advantage of the new audio formats on Blu-ray players such as Dolby True HD when my 5.1 inputs on the preamp are already being used by my existing dvd player?

Do they make a 5.1 analog switcher or something like that? I hope my question makes some sense. Thanks for any input.

Matt

2. Ron Z

Ron Z Stunt Coordinator

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've heard good things about this switcher and have been thinking of ordering one myself so I can keep both, my BR and HD players hooked up via the 5.1 analog.

Crawdaddy

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

So even though all the ports are labeled for component and such, you just plug your 6 analog cables into them? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Andrew,
    Yes, you just plug your six analog cables into one of the inputs. Here is a blowup picture of the back of the unit. I still haven't bought this unit yet because I'm debating whether to do so or wait for the HDMI 1.3 audio processors coming this April/May timeframe.

http://www.zektor.com/hds41/images/HDS41_rear_1280.jpg

6. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I think I'm going to need this thing, too. It seems a bit steep in price considering that all I really need is analog audio switching.

7. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor